Derby County vs Newcastle United

SouthernRam

I am enjoying all these formations that are seeing width. Are we now buying in to NP following the recent departures ? 

The surpluss of midfielders discourse has taken a back seat to who plays wide and who the front pair are. .. One thing for sure it's going to be interesting next Saturday ... Pick any one from 3 

1) total disaster we get wiped out, nothing clicks, same lack lustre lethargy

2) tight close fought game .. Regardless of result we see signs that we are going in the right direction

3) nirvana .. Pace power goals drive and enthusiasm and a thumping victory

vote now to avoid disappointment later 

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I think he was before he came here - like weimann and blackman. It's become very boring seeing either Bent or Martin's name on the team sheet every week like we've only had 2 choices for that position. I wouldn't mind if they were putting the ball in the net.

Agree but haven't been impressed with Razzas finishing so far. But if Wilson and/or Vydra can't score (both pure finishers) then we will know the problem lies elsewhere. 

Carson

Keogh    Shackell     Rawson 

Christie           Johnson                  Anya

Bryson            Hughes

Vydra

Wilson 

10 minutes ago, jono said:

I am enjoying all these formations that are seeing width. Are we now buying in to NP following the recent departures ? 

The surpluss of midfielders discourse has taken a back seat to who plays wide and who the front pair are. .. One thing for sure it's going to be interesting next Saturday ... Pick any one from 3 

1) total disaster we get wiped out, nothing clicks, same lack lustre lethargy

2) tight close fought game .. Regardless of result we see signs that we are going in the right direction

3) nirvana .. Pace power goals drive and enthusiasm and a thumping victory

vote now to avoid disappointment later 

Just rewatched the Burton game Jono - and we really need to a) stop having shacks and Carson lumping it forward and b) move it forward far faster and through the middle and on the floor  ... Our passing is too slow until Hughes and Bryson get involved. Do that we should be good. But Hughes pushing up we are truly a different proposition. Maybe Vydra Anya and Wilson will read Hughes much better and that could produce a lot of chances.

Ive been thinking. 

The problem is.not our players, its the eleven from the other team trying to stop.us. 

As such, I think we should try stopping them insread.

Thus:

Ince

Vydra.   Camara.  Hughes.   Blackman

Shackell     Bent.      Christie.     Keogh

Johnson.    Baird

Ince wont lose possession in attack, Blackman wont be missing on the wing, Bent wont be off side. 

Its perfect. 

Got to say, everyone's team suggestions with 3 at the back look like they would suit the players we have so much! But playing it is a different matter. Can't help but think we'd already be playing it right now if that were the plan. Also think we wouldn't have let so many cb's go in the summer. Certainly not Bucko

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Playing the diamond with very attacking full backs for width:

Carson

Christie    Keogh     Shackell     Anya

Johnson

Bryson           Hughes    

Ince

Wilson     Vydra

Substitutes: Mitchell Baird Olsson Butterfield Russell Bent Camara

Seeing as we have very little time to work on anything before the game, I see the line up looking like that too.

Over time wouldn't be suprised if we went to a back 3, but not yet.

Sorry to interrupt the football talk but I just wanted to make you aware of this:

World Suicide Prevention Day at the iPro before the Newcastle Match

It is World Suicide Prevention Day on Saturday 10th September. There will be a team of people from the Derbyshire Suicide Prevention Forum located outside the iPro on Saturday in the build-up to the match. We will be on the corner near Gregg's from 3 p.m.

We are raising awareness of Suicide Prevention and will be asking fans (of both teams!) to give their views and complete a quick survey. We think this is the first time this has been attempted with football fans, unless you know different.

Everyone who completes the survey will be entered into a free prize draw to win a signed Derby County shirt (that'll go down well with the Newcastle fans!)

There'll also be some qualified people around if you just want a chat about anything that's bothering you. 

Come and look us out and say hello.

I've started a thread about this over in the pub as I don't think this is the right place to discuss further but I know some people only read here so I wanted to flag it up over here too. 

Right, back to the match, I don't know much about potential formations but I think we've no choice other than to buy into what Nigel's trying to do as he's already doing it, @jono. Put eleven players in Derby County shirts out on that pitch and I'll always be right behind them willing them on. COYR!

34 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Anya is a right winger and Pearson prefers to play 442. Has Anya ever even played a left wing back role?

He's recognised as being able to play in any wide position on either side.

Also, he's played fullback a lot more than winger in recent years.

His interview suggests he'd like to be further up the pitch though, and perhaps that was part of his negotiation.

46 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Anya is a right winger and Pearson prefers to play 442. Has Anya ever even played a left wing back role?

I've seen him play on the left for Scotland, don't know if he's ever played football on the left though.

51 minutes ago, philmycock said:

He has played both left and right back, wing back, midfield and wing and has even played up front a few times. Basically you could say he likes to play both sides and every position you can think :o

4 hours ago, Parsnip said:

I think he was before he came here - like weimann and blackman. It's become very boring seeing either Bent or Martin's name on the team sheet every week like we've only had 2 choices for that position. I wouldn't mind if they were putting the ball in the net.

27 goals in 238 career appearences suggests that Camara is no striker even if he has played there in the past and from what I've seen of him so far his finishing hasn't improved since his arrival in England.

Blackman's record is similar, his best goalscoring record was for Reading when he was played on the right wing with most of his goals being long shots.

Weimann is slightly more of an unknown given that from what I can tell he has never had run up front as a striker really, mainly being shunted out onto the wing. Even so, his goalscoring record leaves something to be desired, only hit double figures once in his career.

Wilson's record is alright I guess given he's young, 9 goals in his career so far which is about 2 seasons long. Still not the sort of thing that inspires confidence.

The less said about Bent the better.

The only striker we have who has a good record at the moment is Vydra and even then he's scored scored less than Martin has in the last 3 seasons. Change for changes sake is not always a good thing.

4 hours ago, angieram said:

Sorry to interrupt the football talk but I just wanted to make you aware of this:

World Suicide Prevention Day at the iPro before the Newcastle Match

It is World Suicide Prevention Day on Saturday 10th September. There will be a team of people from the Derbyshire Suicide Prevention Forum located outside the iPro on Saturday in the build-up to the match. We will be on the corner near Gregg's from 3 p.m.

We are raising awareness of Suicide Prevention and will be asking fans (of both teams!) to give their views and complete a quick survey. We think this is the first time this has been attempted with football fans, unless you know different.

Everyone who completes the survey will be entered into a free prize draw to win a signed Derby County shirt (that'll go down well with the Newcastle fans!)

There'll also be some qualified people around if you just want a chat about anything that's bothering you. 

Come and look us out and say hello.

There's a joke to be made here about suicide prevention at the ipro on match day. :(

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

There's a joke to be made here about suicide prevention at the ipro on match day. :(

I know, it's very tempting isn't it? I  sometimes wince at the casual use of certain language on here when we're discussing the football - you'll know the phrases I mean.

However, that's all part of football and hopefully what events like this do is raise awareness that there are some things out there that are much more serious than a game of footy.

Win, lose or draw on Saturday it would be nice if we remember to be kind to each other. 

Archived