1 hour ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Hughes a doubt apparently..

Carson

Cyrus Keogh Shackell Olsson

Bryson Johnson/Hughes

Russell Ince Anya

Vydra 

Hit in the face with a ball according to the DET:huh:

That's got to be the lamest injury excuse I think I've ever heard from the Rams.

On 7 September 2016 at 14:22, eddie said:

I have a confession to make. The Memsahib and I missed Newcastle away on 22 March, 1975 (Newcastle 0 Derby 2 - Davies(2) ).

We were getting married that day. Wasn't even a shotgun wedding.

Half fans.

I think I have the programme for that game, it was 3 days before the day I was born.

6 hours ago, The Fish said:

Afternoon gents, 

Geordie in peace here, just wondering;

What your predictions for the game are,

Where do you think Derby will finish up this season,

Which of your players should we be worried about and why,

What do you think of Newcastle's business,

Which of our players worry you,

Where do you think we'll end up?

Cheers, thanks, ta, 

The Fish

My feeling is that you are a few steps further along in the reformation stage so I am expecting a very tough game.

Developing srg's post I think we are of the opinion that if we get on NP's wavelength then playoffs should be an expectation but the problem is we haven't seen much evidence that it's coming together yet. Saturday will be (IMO) the first time Pearson will be able to put out a team with players that fit his system. You are getting us a a major moment of transition so predictions are virtually impossible. 

Back 4 is a solid unit. Christie in aggressive forward thinking mode is a threat. Keogh can be dynamic or nervous. Which will it be ? 

If Ince and Hughes are sparking they are dangerous at any level. Vydra and other new boys are unknown quantities. Johnson or Butterfield both have talent but are inconsistent. 

If we gel and do well in the first 20 mins we can beat you .... but we have a fickle crowd at times and early season heads have dropped all too quickly. In reality I expect a tight game that could go either way.

really looking forward to a great game with loads of noise from both sets of fans. 

7 hours ago, The Fish said:

Afternoon gents, 

Geordie in peace here, just wondering;

What your predictions for the game are,

Where do you think Derby will finish up this season,

Which of your players should we be worried about and why,

What do you think of Newcastle's business,

Which of our players worry you,

Where do you think we'll end up?

Cheers, thanks, ta, 

The Fish

Hi

Thanks for posting.

I think with regard to your signings we were pretty jealous.

Just as we showed an interest in players you snapped them up

I'm nervous about Ritchie and Gayle but in truth you have a great squad.

We'll do well to match you but it is the type of game we do well in.

Watch out for Blackman - he's absolutely brilliant and don't whatever you do, snatch him away from us in January.

Cheers ☺

4 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

Hit in the face with a ball according to the DET:huh:

That's got to be the lamest injury excuse I think I've ever heard from the Rams.

Some mind games going on? Benitez game plan a bit different with Hughes in or out. I like it. The blonde assassin will make his mark you watch !

Derby County ace Will Hughes is a doubt for this weekend's Sky Bet Championship clash against Newcastle United.

It has emerged that Hughes suffered a head injury while on international duty with England Under-21s.

The midfielder was struck in the face by a football during training and, as a result, did not feature in the Under-21 European Championship qualifier against Norway in Colchester on Tuesday.

LIVE: Rams' press conference ahead of Newcastle clash

"Will was hit by a ball in the face, which is why he played no part in the game," said Derby manager Nigel Pearson.

"There was no concussion as such but we will assess him again tomorrow (Friday) and see how he is."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-ace-will-hughes-an-injury-doubt-for-rams-game-with-newcastle/story-29697764-detail/story.html#wofztcDKmhixd8lb.99

The Hughes thing's all a bit weird. If there was no concussion how can getting a ball in the face several days before make you a doubt?  Presuming he doesn't make it and with no Camara (or Thorne, Weimann, Forsyth) I'll have to amend my original predicted diamond to:

Carson

Christie    Keogh     Shackell     Anya

Johnson

Bryson           Butterfield   

Ince

Wilson     Vydra

Substitutes: Mitchell Baird Olsson Pearce Russell Bent Blackman

It wouldn't be my team and I would never have three defenders on the bench but it keeps all Pearson's senior pros relatively happy. Having Christie and Anya could be brilliantly speedy attacking wingbacks and Wilson and Vydra equally would be a fearsomely fast forward line. Ince has to really step up and dominate the game in this position. For me I would consider having Hughes (when fit) at the point of a diamond but to justify it young William needs to add more goal threat to his game.

Knew something was up with Hughes as soon as the England u21s line up was announced the other day. Strange.

Either way.. I would like to see this happen.. will it happen, I doubt it very much..

Carson

Christie - Keogh - Rawson - Shackell - Anya

Hanson/Johnson

Bryson - Hughes/Johnson/Butterfield

Vydra - Wilson

Ince, Camara, Russell and whoever else on the bench..

10 minutes ago, Walsall_Ram said:

Carson

Christie - Keogh - Rawson - Shackell - Anya

Hanson/Johnson

Bryson - Hughes/Johnson/Butterfield

Vydra - Wilson

I'd like to see that happen without the backslashes. 

5-2-4-2 might just be what we need to grab our first home win of the season.

Sadly I may have to miss the game as I'm flying to Portland for a brief getaway and my flight leaves at 9:45am (PST), which is pretty much when we kick off. Hopefully I can pay for some extortionate in flight wifi package.

0-0 is my prediction, probably going to be scrappy as hell too.

8 hours ago, The Fish said:

I'm really surprised at this. One thing that I've noticed in the few games we've played under Rafa is a team ethos long missing from St James'. Gone are the mercenaries, replaced by either young hungry players with their head screwed on like Lascelles and Hayden, or experienced pros like Hanley or Gamez.

Re the last bit, Leeds did a Leeds because they were run appallingly off the pitch, that simply can't be said about Newcastle. in the top 20 richest clubs on the planet, regularly break even or better in the transfer window etc. 5+ seasons in the Championship would undoubtedly take it's toll, but 2 wouldn't suddenly lead to rack & ruin.

Didn't you guys end up with something like a £20 million profit this transfer window?

RE: Hughes - two theories I have are 1) concussion (they said, oh there's no concussion, which means there may well have been) or 2) eye damage (perhaps just swelling). Either way, hope he's back soon, but would rather he be rested, head injuries are funny things. 

Re: Newcastle - they are a bit like sports direct, everyone hates em (well, their owner to be accurate) but somehow they still make money and keep getting the punters in.

I was amused by Schtevie's toon exploits.

This transfer window has been a big turnover for them, but a lot of good transfers in there.

If we click with Anya, Vydra, Martin gone, the new system, we're more than a match for you. If we're still not clicking we'll probably lose by two goals.

Carson

Christie - Keogh - Shacks - Olssonn

Camara - Bryson- Johnson-  Anya

Vydra - Wilson

Back 4 are sound, he likes Bryson, I suspect he'll pick Johnson over Butterfield, I think Anya and Camara will get the wings, but JR and Ince are options.

Vydra and Wilson I'm thinking will play up front. He might go with Ince and Vydra, but I just think it'll look like this with Ince, Butters and JR being the subs (unless injury, in which case Baird will come on Vydra injured - Baird on, Camara injured, Baird on)

So if Hughes is out...

Carson 

Keogh    Shackell    Rawson

Christie              Johnson               Anya

Bryson       Butterfield

Vydra 

Camara

Supersubs: Mitchell, Pearce, Olsson, Ince, Russell, Wilson.

6 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

So if Hughes is out...

Carson 

Keogh    Shackell    Rawson

Christie              Johnson               Anya

Bryson       Butterfield

Vydra 

Camara

Supersubs: Mitchell, Pearce, Olsson, Ince, Russell, Wilson.

Don't think he'll pick it but I like the look.

Archived