Derby County vs Newcastle United

SouthernRam

On 5 September 2016 at 08:52, WharfedaleRam said:

Now that my poetic premonitions have been admonished, from the predictions thread at least by the mod (sorry guys!), I feel the need for some pure football rhyme to explain our approach against Newcastle.

Carson rolls to Keogh
He slides it through real nice
To Hughesy, who takes a touch 
And passes on to Brys.
Then it's on to Anya 
Who makes the full back queasy 
And knocks it back to Olssen

Who crosses it over (easy!)

The ball evades the Geordies

'Who's ganna clear it pet?'

And it falls at the feet of Vydra

Who bangs it in the net!

More poetic punditry to come.......if there's a demand of course!

West Stand will struggle to remember all those words, but what's the tune Wharfedale?

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is everyone putting Anya on the left i thought he was a right sided player. Likewise people are putting Camara on the right when he is a left footer. To get to the byline they need to be on the correct side otherwise they will keep cutting in and that is easier to defend. Probably give Wieman the nod up front with Vydra and Johnson to come in for Bryson when he gets suspended.

6 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Is Hanson fit and is Johnson fit?

Both are yes.. If you look training photos on dcfc site both of them are on it. 

13 hours ago, hiltonram said:

Why is everyone putting Anya on the left i thought he was a right sided player. Likewise people are putting Camara on the right when he is a left footer. To get to the byline they need to be on the correct side otherwise they will keep cutting in and that is easier to defend. Probably give Wieman the nod up front with Vydra and Johnson to come in for Bryson when he gets suspended.

Anya can play either side, but I agree get the right footer on the right, and I'd play Ince on the left so instead of cutting in all the time, he's encouraged to get down the line and put the ball into the box.

Fingers well & truly crossed for this game, a favourable result for us would be massive in the context of this season. Lose it & it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we could even end this Saturday in the bottom three of the table. Perish the thought ?

I've put us down for a 1-0 but for this one I'm looking for performance over result. 

If nigel now has his hard working front line full of graft and pace,  then I'm looking for midfield to be pushed up and for the backline to start dominating. 

I'll take a defeat if we have matched Newcastle for possession and good clear attempts but will be grumpy if there is no discernible improvement from what has been seen to date. 

57 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Note how there was never any booing from derby's away supporter in the 1970s 

Would that have been you there @eddie? 6 days by ox cart to Newcastle then wasn't it ?:lol::lol:

Seven. Good pubs on the way.

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Note how there was never any booing from derby's away supporter in the 1970s 

Would that have been you there @eddie? 6 days by ox cart to Newcastle then wasn't it ?:lol::lol:

I have a confession to make. The Memsahib and I missed Newcastle away on 22 March, 1975 (Newcastle 0 Derby 2 - Davies(2) ).

We were getting married that day. Wasn't even a shotgun wedding.

Half fans.

I would just love it, love it, if we beat this lot.

I'm in Glasgow doing the Coronation Street Tour in the afternoon at the SECC, then off to The State Bar on Holland Street, just off Sauchihall Street to watch this game, then heading off to The School of Art to enjoy The Wedding Present.

Our new lad up front reminds me of Eiður Smári Guðjohnsen. C'mon The Rams.

Hope we get off to a flyer. And when are the 1884 group going to put a white zippy up thing and a pair of goggles on everyone's seat so we can all do some proper moves, now that would look Top of The Pops!

Afternoon gents, 

Geordie in peace here, just wondering;

What your predictions for the game are,

Where do you think Derby will finish up this season,

Which of your players should we be worried about and why,

What do you think of Newcastle's business,

Which of our players worry you,

Where do you think we'll end up?

Cheers, thanks, ta, 

The Fish

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Afternoon gents, 

Geordie in peace here, just wondering;

What your predictions for the game are,

Where do you think Derby will finish up this season,

Which of your players should we be worried about and why,

What do you think of Newcastle's business,

Which of our players worry you,

Where do you think we'll end up?

Cheers, thanks, ta, 

The Fish

1) Like to think we can win, but we really have no idea what to think with all the changes to both teams

2) most expect play offs

3) Hughes is class, Ince is dangerous and hopefully Vydra can show up in his first game. Camara is impossible to predict.

4) Scattergun. Some quality, but it's a bit messy at the moment as to who's playing where and in what system.

5) Just good players all over, probably Matt Ritchie the most. It's just whether they can gel as a team.

6) As above, if you were to go up it will be individual quality rather than as a team I expect. You better hope you go up, or Rafa will go and you could easily end up like Leeds.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

6) As above, if you were to go up it will be individual quality rather than as a team I expect. You better hope you go up, or Rafa will go and you could easily end up like Leeds.

I'm really surprised at this. One thing that I've noticed in the few games we've played under Rafa is a team ethos long missing from St James'. Gone are the mercenaries, replaced by either young hungry players with their head screwed on like Lascelles and Hayden, or experienced pros like Hanley or Gamez.

Re the last bit, Leeds did a Leeds because they were run appallingly off the pitch, that simply can't be said about Newcastle. in the top 20 richest clubs on the planet, regularly break even or better in the transfer window etc. 5+ seasons in the Championship would undoubtedly take it's toll, but 2 wouldn't suddenly lead to rack & ruin.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Hi Inverurie, 

Im afraid Im not actually in Glasgow this weekend, going walking in the breckon beacons. 

Hope you enjoy you visit to the lowlands and survive the NED-tastic pleasures of town. 

Hi RW,

Enjoy the breckon beacons. Celtic v Rangers is on Saturday lunch time also, so I think the best place to be is in The Rovers Return having a pint with Jack & Vera Duckworth!

Up the Partick Thistle!

15 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I would just love it, love it, if we beat this lot.

I'm in Glasgow doing the Coronation Street Tour in the afternoon at the SECC, then off to The State Bar on Holland Street, just off Sauchihall Street to watch this game, then heading off to The School of Art to enjoy The Wedding Present.

Our new lad up front reminds me of Eiður Smári Guðjohnsen. C'mon The Rams.

Hope we get off to a flyer. And when are the 1884 group going to put a white zippy up thing and a pair of goggles on everyone's seat so we can all do some proper moves, now that would look Top of The Pops!

i'm sure I was in Manchester when I went to this tour, pulled a pint in the rovers enall.

Archived