Derby County vs Newcastle United

SouthernRam

Hughes must have been hit really hard in the face with a ball to be out but hey assiming he is this would be my lineup. If it doesnt work switch to 442 at half time bring on blackman. For all his faults he probably deserves a chance up top.

Carson

Christie   Keogh    Shackell    Olsson 

Hanson

Bryson         Butterfield   

Ince                  Vydra                Anya

Subs: Mitchell, Pearce, Baird, Johnson, Russell, Bent, Blackman

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

Hughes must have been hit really hard in the face with a ball to be out but hey assiming he is this would be my lineup. If it doesnt work switch to 442 at half time bring on blackman. For all his faults he probably deserves a chance up top.

Carson

Christie   Keogh    Shackell    Olsson 

Hanson

Bryson         Butterfield   

Ince                  Vydra                Anya

Subs: Mitchell, Pearce, Baird, Johnson, Russell, Bent, Blackman

Think he is still ko'd aswell

5 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

As much as I'm not a fan, Johnson has to start in the holding role. We literally have no ballwinners in midfield otherwise, and noone to protect the back four. 

Johnson isn't a ball winner either though.  Or a holding midfielder.  He's not mobile enough to press effectively and win the ball back, and he's not disciplined enough to sit and protect the back 4.  If you're going to use him properly, you basically need to use him like a sort of deep-lying battering ram, with license to get free in and around the box for knockdowns and to get on loose balls, while not relying on him to keep possession or move the ball quickly.  But Pearson's system don't seem have room for that kind of player, and neither did Clement's or McClaren's.

7 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Johnson isn't a ball winner either though.  Or a holding midfielder.  He's not mobile enough to press effectively and win the ball back, and he's not disciplined enough to sit and protect the back 4.  If you're going to use him properly, you basically need to use him like a sort of deep-lying battering ram, with license to get free in and around the box for knockdowns and to get on loose balls, while not relying on him to keep possession or move the ball quickly.  But Pearson's system don't seem have room for that kind of player, and neither did Clement's or McClaren's.

I think he'd be alright at that job in a well organised side that sits deep and looks to counter, for half a season at least. 

He doesn't read the game well enough to hold in a side that dominates possession - but I have a feeling we'll be soaking up the opposition more than we'll be dominating them.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

A more general point but I don't see how Camara is suddnely the messiah. He has come on and looked lively a couple of times but I don't think we are in a position where we need to be playing him up top with the strikers we have got at our disposal.

I would like to see a 4-4-1-1 with Ince behind Vydra up front with Russell and Anya out wide. The rest of the team picks itself.

0f1729b0549e898d2377b6417b92a6ca0e166785

Seriously though, he's a very rapid player, with a bit of skill who looks to go past defenders. I think we've missed that option and people hope that with a bit of work he will turn out to be an exciting player for us. 

Certainly wouldn't put him up front though!

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

I think he'd be alright at that job in a well organised side that sits deep and looks to counter, for half a season at least. 

He doesn't read the game well enough to hold in a side that dominates possession - but I have a feeling we'll be soaking up the opposition more than we'll be dominating them.

He's still not mobile enough for that though.  To win the ball back, you've either got to be stood in the right place already (i.e. read the game) , or be able to quickly get to the right place (i.e. be mobile), he does neither.  He can go chasing after a player, but they'll have run away from him, or moved the ball on before he even gets there.  And the fact we seem to be playing with only 2 in midfield makes it even worse, as we're getting outnumbered in there regularly and teams are just passing the ball around us.  

And to cap it off, if you're having him deep in front of his own box, you're limiting his ability to do the stuff he is actually good at as well.

31 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Didn't take long for fans to work out their feelings regarding Wilson, judging by the squad selections.

Astounded as always

The thing is, it's going to be very, very difficult to accommodate 2 pacy 'hang on the last mans shoulder' type strikers in the same team.  You're effectively playing with 10 men if you have 1 in the team, let alone 2.  So people are almost always going to side with the player we've just smashed our transfer record to sign, rather than a kid who's only here on loan for a season.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I haven't seen Wilson's name in many people's starting elevens.

Has one awkward sub performance on a bad night for the team convinced the boo boys he's not worth it?

I think Vydra ' s pace could well provide the distraction he needs to score goals for us.

4-1-3-2

Johnson holding.

Anya, Bryson and Hughes in a three. 

Ince and Russell sharing a thoughtful dummy.

And yet Wilson Vydra and Anaya will all start.

8 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The thing is, it's going to be very, very difficult to accommodate 2 pacy 'hang on the last mans shoulder' type strikers in the same team.  You're effectively playing with 10 men if you have 1 in the team, let alone 2.  So people are almost always going to side with the player we've just smashed our transfer record to sign, rather than a kid who's only here on loan for a season.

I would imagine that we have recruited these mobile strikers to among other things pull the opposition defenders out of position. I am hoping that they are not just there to run after a lumped forward high in the sky punt.

24 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

0f1729b0549e898d2377b6417b92a6ca0e166785

Seriously though, he's a very rapid player, with a bit of skill who looks to go past defenders. I think we've missed that option and people hope that with a bit of work he will turn out to be an exciting player for us. 

Certainly wouldn't put him up front though!

I agree entirely with that assessment, but there seems to be an opinion that he is the solution to all of our ills at the minute and I just don't see that yet.

Archived