Owen Bradley

Mafiabob

Deleted his Twitter...... There is some absolute moronic behaviour from parts of our fanbase at times.

Owen, I may not always agree with you from time to time but I respect you as a fair journalist. What you received tonight was unjust and crude.

Hope you come back.

Regards Andy Margett. (A Derby fan)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mafiabob said:

Deleted his Twitter...... There is some absolute moronic behaviour from parts of our fanbase at times.

Owen, I may not always agree with you from time to time but I respect you as a fair journalist. What you received tonight was unjust and crude.

Hope you come back.

Regards Andy Margett. (A Derby fan)

What was said?

Any 'fan' who chose to give Owen grief should hand their season tickets/shirts/scarfs and anything else they own of a Derby County nature and should forget about football, they aren't welcome as fans.

Booing players, abusing radio personalities, a section of Derby fans, a minority, are utterly shambolic.

The worst thing invented was the Internet...I think? 

My guess is he was tweeting about the fact that Burton were selected as the main game tonight on BBC Radio Derby, due to the fact that they fall under the areas wing and we're playing in a more glamorous tie. Didn't see much of the abuse but a lot of unhappy Derby fans, but idiots using their keyboards to bash him lived up to their name. 

Thought the crowd that stayed in till end tonight were good in support, those who booed at half time (also idiots) must have left early. Good riddance

20 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

Why was he getting abuse?

20 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

What was said?

20 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

What did he recieve?

I guess it's to do with BBC radio Derby station covered Burton game tonight. Owen just doing his job ffs. 

Personal abuse is wrong but if anyone on Twitter is upset about the ***** posted then they shouldn't really be there in the first place..I assume he has to be on it for his job.though?

Anyway, having signed up on here he'll be too busy punning to bother with that sort of dross.

Does anything worthwhile or positive emerge from the cesspit that is Twitter?

It seems to be inhabited by the kind of ill-informed gobsh1te that 20 years ago would have been the type you dreaded walking into your local, knowing they would they hold court at the bar.

It seems now this drivel has gained more credence. You wouldn't have had Graham Richards quoting some idiot from the pub the previous night.  

I expect and want to hear from professional journalists and ex-pros, not some c0ckwash from Chadd.      

I like twitter. Makes me feel superior. Amazing how many Young Earth Creationists, Flat Earthers and manu fans there are out there.

5 hours ago, sage said:

It seems to be inhabited by the kind of ill-informed gobsh1te that 20 years ago would have been the type you dreaded walking into your local, knowing they would they hold court at the bar.

It seems now this drivel has gained more credence. You wouldn't have had Graham Richards quoting some idiot from the pub the previous night.  

I expect and want to hear from professional journalists and ex-pros, not some c0ckwash from Chadd.      

To answer your first sentence, yes there is. Shan't take over the thread, but it's enabled me to raise £1000s for charity, and also gave me a massive voice to share my problems, also giving me support from people I've never met. 99% of the time it's good, it's the 1% that puts it to shame. Same with most things.

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Personal abuse is wrong but if anyone on Twitter is upset about the ***** posted then they shouldn't really be there in the first place..I assume he has to be on it for his job.though?

Anyway, having signed up on here he'll be too busy punning to bother with that sort of dross.

Pathetic to absolve twitter trolls of responsibility in this way.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Thats like saying that those bullied because they choose to dress in a certain way shouldng dress that way. You can't say to someone its their own fault they get abused.

6 hours ago, sage said:

Calm down @sage I'm from Chadd originally , we are not all idiots, agree with your sentiment though , we need to support our team, and @OwenB87 has done nothing to be abused 

i note @sdsr doesn't post any more probably due to abuse 

I don't think Twitter is to blame. There are millions of decent people using it. That's like saying people who go into pubs deserve to be glassed cos there is a small minority of pub-goers that like to attack people.

Or that's like saying ethnic people deserve to be racially abused in a place where there has previously been racism.

Both crass examples I know, but relative.

As for Owen Bradley, he's always took excessive abuse on the chin, and with good grace. He's had stick on this forum and stood up for himself, perhaps when he didn't really need to. I think he deserves a lot more respect. He's a lot more professional than he gets credit for, and from what I can see, works quite hard. I wouldn't want his job.

I hope he's just f*cked twitter off cos he cannot be arsed, I hope he's not too stressed by it though, not sure he deserves any abuse whatsoever.

I do think Twitter should do more to protect users though. I read the story of the black woman (name escapes me) who is in the Ghostbusters movie, some of what she received actually made me feel uneasy that people want to hurt people for no reason.

Owen Bradley always comes across as thoroughly decent to me.

Some Derby fans want him to be "their" voice in expressing anger with the manager, the club etc over performances or other things. And when he doesn't express anger but simply asks questions, they get annoyed and say he is not being effective.

They misunderstand his role. It isn't his role to be a fans representative. It is his role to ask pertinent questions of interests to the fans (there is a difference) when required (and he does as anyone who remembers the McClaren Newcastle saga will recall).  It is also imperative for him to have a good working relationship with the club; which requires him to be respectful. That doesn't mean he can;t ask tough questions (and he does) but he does so in a polite and respectful way.  And to be honest, if we all behaved like that all the time the world would be a nicer place

I think a lot of fans behaviour leaves a lot to be desired.  I feel for Owen. If I got this abuse from the public for just trying to do my job each day, I'd be pretty miserable.

Archived