Owen Bradley

Mafiabob

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

i have criticised OB myself, or rather the coverage, but not in an abusive way.  It's not his decision to broadcast about Burton, he's not the decision maker there. I don't like that there is half a show talking about something I'm not interested in now. I feel about Burton the same as I feel about Notts County, or Stoke for instance. I don't want to hear Nigel Clough. I've voiced that. It was not that bad when they were in lower leagues. 

But some Derby fans now make me sad, they really are a bunch of childish idiots who are ruining the match days for decent people, in the ground and on Twitter. Last night a young woman with a child of 6 sat behind me and moaned incessantly, shouting abuse at the players and using bad language, which didn't offend me but - but in front of her 6 year old??? She talked utter garbage too. 

Anyway, I digress. Come back Owen, you put your head above the parapet and you got shot at. Ignore them, they are not all Rams fans. 

Radio Derby's responsibility is to the listeners of Derbyshire and East Staffordshire - always has been, always will be. The last I heard, Derby County and Burton Albion both play in that area. So do Chesterfield, but they seem to be covered by Radio Sheffield.

2 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

Calm down @sage I'm from Chadd originally , we are not all idiots, agree with your sentiment though , we need to support our team, and @OwenB87 has done nothing to be abused 

i note @sdsr doesn't post any more probably due to abuse 

It wasn't a dig at Chaddesden,  just used it for alliteration purposes. I just don't get why do much store is placed in twitter comments and why they used as part of a natrative.

2 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Thing is if i truined in to listen to game and to find it is not on i would not be very happy eathier.

But would you send abuse to the BBC? I doubt it.

There is also a big difference between:

"Owen, as a Derby fan who pays his license fee, I would have preferred it if the DCFC match had been the main event. Could this be considered in future please?"

vs

"Owen, you ********. Why aren't Derby on the radio, you ********. You all want ******** hanging, you shower of ********".

Last night I considered myself a bit of a stranger in my own land. I too sat in the West Stand for a change and the mindlessness of many around me was staggering.. 0-0 at halftime and you're hearing the now obligatory booing, but also people shouting things like 'gutless' and that kind of tripe. We didn't play well last night again, but I've seen worse.  

Also, I can never fathom why, particularly if you aren't losing, you would boo at half time anyway.  Its half time. A whole 45 minutes to go to put things right.   Bit of patiance perhaps?. And yes, I know the inveterate booers will say, "I pay for my ticket so I can do/say what I want". Absolutely correct.. Doesn't make you look/sound any less of a prat for doing it though.

9 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Thing is if i truined in to listen to game and to find it is not on i would not be very happy eathier.

Anyone who tuned in has no right to complain - if they are in the Radio Derby area and have the time to listen, then with very few exceptions, they should have gone to the game.

No sympathy for entitled half fans.

First (and last) time in the east stand last night. The family behind me just sat and moaned the whole time. Booed Blackman so loudly my daughter turned to me and said 'these people need to go home' 

'Spose the family that boos together stays together. I think they should take up some other family pastime tbh.

Sorry to hear that Owen got some abuse.  Some people really are horrid. 

9 minutes ago, eddie said:

Anyone who tuned in has no right to complain - if they are in the Radio Derby area and have the time to listen, then with very few exceptions, they should have gone to the game.

What about those of us that were at work from 8pm until 5am? Are we the exceptions of which you speak?  Fortunately some of us have Ramsplayer and can listen to the game on the phone.

41 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

Was it on DAB?

No - it was only broadcast on FM as they decided to have Burton on both MW & DAB - I missed the game due to family commitments and had planned to have the Rams on the radio but due to crap FM coverage, I ended up trying to follow what was going on at the iPro via twitter - still I'm sure the rest of Derbyshire & East Staffordshire enjoyed listening to Burton (those who didn't bother watching it on Sky....)

No excuse for the abuse to Owen (though I don't think publishing the BBC Derby charter actually helped to defuse the situation....), but given the number of folk that have switched to DAB radios nowadays, it did seem that the BBC had not thought it through in their hunt for glory (if I remember correctly, "Burton is the big story tonight" was one of the comments published - not in the eyes of the Rams fans who rely on RD to cover the Derby games it wasn't)....I await future Rams games being shunted aside for coverage of Uttoxeter Town or Mickleover Sports if the BBC is to fully meet its charter commitments....

I wonder if someone needs to pen a short article for the Derby Telegraph or for the Programme or maybe a flyer to put on each seat that points out that:

• Aware fans are disappointed that we're not yet firing on all cylinders
  • Isn't due to a lack of effort and squad trying hard
  • Support from fans is a huge help. Need that support more than ever in tricky moments.
  • If fans can show us extra support in bad moments it really helps lift the team an help them get through those moments
  • Fans entitled to criticise as pay your money. But criticising team during match doesn't help. Players are professionals and try not to let it affect them but only human.
  • Please bear with us as we work to get the team gelling and firing on all cylinders
  • Let's support as much as we can in 90 minutes

If Mel/Sam puts this out it may help a bit. Or if Keogh did it it as one of team may help a bit more. But I wonder if anyone from club doing it it may get bad reaction.  Maybe it would be even more powerful coming from the head of a supporters group like the 1884 group, or Punjabi Rams or maybe even the owner of the DCFC fans forum....

43 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It'll soon get to the stage, or maybe we've been there a while, where they don't really like us and we're not getting bang for our bucks. 

I'm pretty confident in saying that most of the players have no affection for playing in front of Derby County fans anymore. We, as a fanbase, have a reputation in football now as being too quick to get on players backs, and overly negative.

I am in now way saying that the players should get unequivocal support all of the time but in the stadium, we are fans and supporters, not critics and trolls.

How do you change that perception though? It seems there are lots of people on here who hate the booing, negativity and abuse some give out, so how do we demonstrate to the players, the club and our own fans that it's not okay?

4 minutes ago, feisty said:

I wonder if someone needs to pen a short article for the Derby Telegraph or for the Programme or maybe a flyer to put on each seat that points out that:

• Aware fans are disappointed that we're not yet firing on all cylinders
  • Isn't due to a lack of effort and squad trying hard
  • Support from fans is a huge help. Need that support more than ever in tricky moments.
  • If fans can show us extra support in bad moments it really helps lift the team an help them get through those moments
  • Fans entitled to criticise as pay your money. But criticising team during match doesn't help. Players are professionals and try not to let it affect them but only human.
  • Please bear with us as we work to get the team gelling and firing on all cylinders
  • Let's support as much as we can in 90 minutes

If Mel/Sam puts this out it may help a bit. Or if Keogh did it it as one of team may help a bit more. But I wonder if anyone from club doing it it may get bad reaction.  Maybe it would be even more powerful coming from the head of a supporters group like the 1884 group, or Punjabi Rams or maybe even the owner of the DCFC fans forum....

That has to come from Keogh and Pearson for me. If I, @therams69 @David or Pav wote that, I think people would just say who are you to tell me what to do? And they're right, I'm nobody special, why should anyone listen to me? But the captain and/or manager of our club? I think that holds more sway.

I agree though, I would love to see some events where the club reconnects with the fans again.

5 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

That has to come from Keogh and Pearson for me. If I, @therams69 @David or Pav wote that, I think people would just say who are you to tell me what to do? And they're right, I'm nobody special, why should anyone listen to me? But the captain and/or manager of our club? I think that holds more sway.

I agree though, I would love to see some events where the club reconnects with the fans again.

Maybe if one of you guys suggest it to the club it would have more weight than coming from me as a "normal" supporter?

6 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

I was just designing some actually, I've gone for "Booo loudly if you have genital warts", just got to see if the club will let me in to place these in the ground

21 minutes ago, eddie said:

Where exactly does the imperative to attend every match come from ( even if a season ticket holder)?  You 're far too pompous for your own good ,always telling others to do exactly what you would do. Your sympathy, I think we can do without.

Given the match was on Sky and 5live radio, there was no great need for Radio Derby to change things, and Burton have far fewer supporters listening in anyway. It was the Rams on DAB in any case.

1 minute ago, DRBee said:

Where exactly does the imperative to attend every match come from ( even if a season ticket holder)?  You 're far too pompous for your own good ,always telling others to do exactly what you would do. Your sympathy, I think we can do without.

Given the match was on Sky and 5live radio, there was no great need for Radio Derby to change things, and Burton have far fewer supporters listening in anyway. It was the Rams on DAB in any case.

Twas just the shot-callers at RD bandwaggoning. 

Archived