Chris Martin - Signed for Fulham

Animal is a Ram

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Sooo,to sum up the answers to my question if there being a hold up striker available with lots of goals in them to match Chris martin.

There basically isn't anyone.

There you go then.

#freethewardrobe 

Id say Berbatov on a free would be a similar type of player to Martin

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Because you are providing speculation on top of speculation on top of assumption based on nothing...

If you spent more time on your reading comprehension and less on insults and trying to show 'how much smarter' you are than everyone else you would have noticed I specifically said that you are using a single example as "well this must be possible because xxx happened so easy isn't it?"

Jamie Vardy won the Premier League and therefore every player signed from non league will be excellent... It's the same point...

Instead of quoting one example of an unavailable player why not tell us the multitude of others which are out there? Because what we've seen in the last couple of years is that there are LOADS of expensive flops and bargain signings of exactly what people need are few and far between...

I suspect your next point will be "well that's not my job is it? that's what our scouting team are for..."

Does it take a lot of practice to be such a numpty? You seem very good at it. Please don't lecture me on my level of intelligence either. None of us know who is available and at what price but my excellent example of Murray highlights that there are still gems out there at a decent price which many would agree is comparable, if not a better deal even, than Fulham paying us 9 million for Martin. Murray is going to play an important part in getting Brighton up. A deal made not 9 years ago so totally irrelevant to this discussion, but a signing just 7 months ago. Now time to come off here, give that red face of yours a wash and finish off your homework.....

34 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Sooo,to sum up the answers to my question if there being a hold up striker available with lots of goals in them to match Chris martin.

There basically isn't anyone.

There you go then.

#freethewardrobe 

Nah mate... there's Glenn Murray... See:

18 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Does it take a lot of practice to be such a numpty? You seem very good at it. Please don't lecture me on my level of intelligence either. None of us know who is available and at what price but my excellent example of Murray highlights that there are still gems out there at a decent price which many would agree is comparable, if not a better deal even, than Fulham paying us 9 million for Martin. Murray is going to play an important part in getting Brighton up. A deal made not 9 years ago so totally irrelevant to this discussion, but a signing just 7 months ago. Now time to come off here, give that red face of yours a wash and finish off your homework.....

One example does not a valid argument make... 

So here we go... as @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong originally stated and as I have challenged you a couple of times now... Give us some more examples instead of quoting a single, rare outlier... Since you seem convinced that it's such an easy task...

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I don't want to get too involved in this, I wanted to come and make a different point but whilst I'm here...

While Murray is a lone striker, the point is him and Martin have two different style in  which they play that role and how you set up your teams to accommodate them. Martin wants the ball. Like, all the time. He then wants players running off him before he gets in the box. Murray, while effective, is a bit more of a Steve Howard type in that the majority of his work is in the box (I might be being generalistic there, but my main point is Murray isn't getting involved too much in the build up most of the time) 

Both are effective but in regards of how Derby play then Martin fits the bill more than Murray. It's not as easy as 'he'll do', case in point Matej Vydra.

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Nah mate... there's Glenn Murray... See:

One example does not a valid argument make... 

So here we go... as @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong originally stated and as I have challenged you a couple of times now... Give us some more examples instead of quoting a single, rare outlier... Since you seem convinced that it's such an easy task...

You keep digging yourself a bigger hole. How can you state as a fact that there is not a decent hold up player available to buy or get in on loan from the UK or abroad, who could do a decent job for us? You don't know that anymore than I do. We could bring someone in from the Dutch league who nobody has ever heard of, not even you with your fountain of footballing knowledge. Had you heard of De Sart who was brought in for the holding midfielder role from Middlesbrough? If Carson got injured in training tomorrow, would you state as a matter of fact that we couldn't get a comparable replacement in? Nobody is saying it is an easy task, but the Murray loan Brighton made shows it is possible and not impossible as you keep stating...

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

...but the Murray loan Brighton made shows it is possible and not impossible as you keep stating...

...then I repeat why didn't Fulham sign this 'easy to find, maybe previously unheard of', replacement for Martin? Why pay all that money (cheap btw) for Martin?

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

...then I repeat why didn't Fulham sign this 'easy to find, maybe previously unheard of', replacement for Martin? Why pay all that money (cheap btw) for Martin?

They have got Martin so don't need a replacement for him. So who do you think offers better value for money then, in terms of getting promotion, 9 million from Fulham for Martin or Murray on loan at Brighton? I am a big Martin fan and want him back but to state as a matter of fact that there is no player on earth who could do a similar job is just nonsense. We don't know. I personally don't think either Vydra or Nugent can play the role...perhaps Blackman will get his chance?

29 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

...but to state as a matter of fact that there is no player on earth who could do a similar job is just nonsense. We don't know. I personally don't think either Vydra or Nugent can play the role...perhaps Blackman will get his chance?

I don't think anyone was really meaning to say that. It just seems an easy comment, oh well get in someone who can play the role. Of course folk are gonna ask who and mean who NOW. Fulham could only find Martin, maybe we'll get lucky and find an alternative and get Martin back. :)

ps it's NOT gonna be Blackman, no way!

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You keep digging yourself a bigger hole. How can you state as a fact that there is not a decent hold up player available to buy or get in on loan from the UK or abroad, who could do a decent job for us? You don't know that anymore than I do. We could bring someone in from the Dutch league who nobody has ever heard of, not even you with your fountain of footballing knowledge. Had you heard of De Sart who was brought in for the holding midfielder role from Middlesbrough? If Carson got injured in training tomorrow, would you state as a matter of fact that we couldn't get a comparable replacement in? Nobody is saying it is an easy task, but the Murray loan Brighton made shows it is possible and not impossible as you keep stating...

Hole? I don't think so...

I have NEVER said it is impossible... You're reading comprehension is terrible... However I have suggested that it is nowhere near as easy as you seem to think... The evidence of that? You have given me ONE example of this type... ONE... SO out of all the vast number of footballers world wide there has been ONE recent, decent hold up player who was available at a decent rate...

If you were to give me... As I have now asked 3 times... another example or two then I would accept that it may be almost as easy as you seem to think... But one swallow doesn't make a summer (in case you were wondering this is the saying I was alluding to in a previous post)

So we have one,Murray,who apparently isn't a martin type player(this being the main requirement of my question) and possibly one who maybe?

It just goes to show how difficult a job we have in replacing martin.

If martin doesn't come back but we could get as effective a hold up striker in his mould,then that would be great.... Looks like a  big ask from what I have seen on here.

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Hole? I don't think so...

I have NEVER said it is impossible... You're reading comprehension is terrible... However I have suggested that it is nowhere near as easy as you seem to think... The evidence of that? You have given me ONE example of this type... ONE... SO out of all the vast number of footballers world wide there has been ONE recent, decent hold up player who was available at a decent rate...

If you were to give me... As I have now asked 3 times... another example or two then I would accept that it may be almost as easy as you seem to think... But one swallow doesn't make a summer (in case you were wondering this is the saying I was alluding to in a previous post)

You keep getting it wrong you numpty. You keep coming out with this 'reading comprehension' statement. What is that meant to mean? I would hazard a guess that I am far better educated than you. Where have I said it was easy? Where have I said we should sign Glen Murray from your previous post? Why did you bring up Murray playing for Brighton 9 years ago, what has that got to do with the price of fish? The simple point I made is that Glen Murray was a decent loan signing relatively recently and has helped ensure Brighton will go up. Not a replica of Martin but I think he could have done a job for us and not cost 9 million. He isn't available now, I never said he was but is just an example. I daresay that at home and abroad there could well be a few other footballers that could play a similar role to Martin at the Rams. You, however, state categorically that there is no one on this earth that could play a similar role to Martin. You can't prove that, utter tosh.

25 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You keep coming out with this 'reading comprehension' statement. What is that meant to mean?

You, however, state categorically that there is no one on this earth that could play a similar role to Martin. 

Here is you answer to the above... Reading comprehension is about how you understand something which is written down... You keep stating (as above) that I have "categorically stated" that there a NO other players out there... I have not said that anywhere... Therefore your reading comprehension is poor...

I HAVE repeatedly stated that it's not as easy as you seem to think

I have ALSO stated that quoting a SINGLE example doesn't help your argument... You have come up with ONE example of the type of player we need at a decent price... If you could quote even ONE more then I would accede that it may be an easier job than I thought...

31 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I would hazard a guess that I am far better educated than you. 

Feel free to guess away... If you'd like to compare degree certificates in an effort to make yourself feel better then that's fine by be... I could probably dig out my royal charter accreditation if you like as well?

I don't really think they're applicable here but you seem to keep bringing it up...

35 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Where have I said it was easy? 

On page 537 of this thread @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong asked where "all these" hold up strikers are... Your example was Murray... Who is unavailable and was only available at a time that we still had Martin...

So where are the others if you have such a quick and easy reply to the question stated?

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I hate this thread.

Can we chill on the name calling folks? 

Cheers peeps

Yes I think we should accept that people have different opinions. Chris Martin fans aren't brainwashed idiots who have their heads up his arse just like non-Chris Martin fans are not trolling  Neanderthals. This is one of those debates where people will not change their minds, no matter how persuasive the other side is.

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I hate this thread.

Can we chill on the name calling folks? 

Cheers peeps

I think it reveals a certain lack of ability in the name-calling stakes.

Archived