Chris Martin - Signed for Fulham

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Hmm,I suspect that's why he wanted to come back in January before all the above factors came into play and his and derbys hands get forced.

I'm getting slightly depressed over this situation and the way it's playing out...

He ain't coming back get used to it............

5 hours ago, McLovin said:

It might be best to keep him there this window. Bringing him back now, especially after signing Nugent would be bad for morale and we'd be left with 4 strikers for one position, 5 if you include Blackman. Nugent has only just signed, Bent has done well in spells this season, whilst the 3 club rule means that Vydra has to stay at least till the end of the reason.

The thing is we have been sorely lacking a player who can link-up with the midfield and give us a platform to work off in the final third. Nugent will hopefully fulfill this role but we will have to wait and see.

5 hours ago, McLovin said:

I'd love us to broaden our horizons a bit. Martin isn't the only hold up player in the world, just like Wisdom isn't the only right back in the world. No-one heard of the centre back Janssen before Leeds signed up and now he is arguably the best in the division.To make us less predictable, a hold up player would be necessary in the summer, but is ideally quick enough to suit McClaren's pressing game so can spin in behind defenders too, which I think he ultimately wants.

I see where you coming from but I think you're overlooking a couple things. Martin is almost certainly the cheapest option for us as he is already a Derby player and we know that he can come in and do the job we want him too. It'd be nice to have a Martin with pace but I'm not convinced you can find a player with Martin's technical ability, strength, positional sense and creativity with pace who would be willing to join us whilst we are still in the championship. That player is more than likely to cost a significant chunk as well. 

Basically Martin is the best option because he's the lowest risk, most reliable option and we are probably better of waiting till we get into the prem before looking towards better because it's only when we get in the prem that we could attract talent that is a definite improvement on Martin.

24 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Tell you what,I'd love to know who all these hold up strikers are.....that are available to us,for Martin's money,who score 20 goals a year in a championship club or above???

Murray was available at a snip before Brighton got him...

25 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Tell you what,I'd love to know who all these hold up strikers are.....that are available to us,for Martin's money,who score 20 goals a year in a championship club or above???

Yes, but I don't think Martin scored 20 goals last season and he will certainly not score 20 this season........

15 minutes ago, toddy said:

Even I know Martin is incapable of 20 this season and he certainly did not get 20 last season.

Toddy,stop being picky,you know,full well what I am getting at...you are arguing for the sake of it again and whilst your pedantic ways can be occasionally,mildly amusing,they are becoming a bore too.

How about answering the question if you want to involved instead of just coming  across as a click bait,wind up merchant....

For the pendants Martin scored 15 last season and 21 season before....

I can't see anyone other than ince getting anywhere near that in our current squad but imagine how much better off we would be with two strikers knocking that many in.

16 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Toddy,stop being picky,you know,full well what I am getting at...you are arguing for the sake of it again and whilst your pedantic ways can be occasionally,mildly amusing,they are becoming a bore too.

How about answering the question if you want to involved instead of just coming  across as a click bait,wind up merchant....

For the pendants Martin scored 15 last season and 21 season before....

I can't see anyone other than ince getting anywhere near that in our current squad but imagine how much better off we would be with two strikers knocking that many in.

Martin plays a certain way and at the moment I believe we don't have the midfield capable of utilizing the hold play of him.

It not something that is new, hence his 15 last season. 

Even this season at Fulham they are one of the most attacking sides in the division he still has not set the goall tally alight -be honest. Even Ince has more than Martin  and he is in a team that is no way near attack minded as Fulham.

I don't hate Martin far from it, he is good championship striker in that holding position but that is it.

So....we should turn our noses up at a striker who scored 15 goals for us last season with essentially the same team as,we have now toddy...

When,apart from ince,we have a combined total of about 7 goals,from the rest of the team combined....and im perhaps being generous with the total there.

First point....we may not appear to be an attacking squad at the moment,but that is precisely because we are lacking a hold up style striker in the team....without one Russell,Bryson,Johnson and butterfield are starved of the service that a 433 system requires to be successful.

Secondly,you are convinced that Martin won't be coming back,so,to answer my previous,question...just which striker,who can play as a hold up striker in a 433 system,are we going to replace him with?

Nugent is here to replace bent when finally goes completely off his legs and vydra,God bless him,could play until next Christmas and still not score......he is completely unsuited to us.

So,toddy,just who is the wonder striker who can fill the gap and get us the pathetic total of 15 goals a season for us??

Archived