Chris Martin - Signed for Fulham

Animal is a Ram

I'm not saying I don't want CM back but.......in answer to the 15 goals a season question....it's interesting when you take a quick look at the stats

Darren Bent has scored 5 goals in 13 appearances since SMc came back (2 of them were as a sub). So over the course of a full 46 game season that averages around 17 goals a season. Ok 1 was in the cup v West Brom, but excluding that you've still go a 15 goals a season striker and Tom Ince has 8 in 16 (excluding the FA Cup) since SMc returned, which equates to 23 goals a season. 

I appreciate that I've overlooked the NP period in these stats. Indeed, the same defence could be used on Chris Martin's lower record last season under the less attacking team put out by Paul Clement .......but nevertheless - it's not a bad partnership is it?!

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dava75 said:

I'm not saying I don't want CM back but.......in answer to the 15 goals a season question....it's interesting when you take a quick look at the stats

Darren Bent has scored 5 goals in 13 appearances since SMc came back (2 of them were as a sub). So over the course of a full 46 game season that averages around 17 goals a season. Ok 1 was in the cup v West Brom, but excluding that you've still go a 15 goals a season striker and Tom Ince has 8 in 16 (excluding the FA Cup) since SMc returned, which equates to 23 goals a season. 

I appreciate that I've overlooked the NP period in these stats. Indeed, the same defence could be used on Chris Martin's lower record last season under the less attacking team put out by Paul Clement .......but nevertheless - it's not a bad partnership is it?!

Trouble is,we,aren't getting goals from the midfield anymore...nothing from bryson,butterfield,Johnson or from Russell up front.......if you study Martin's highlights on you tube you will see just how often his holding up play then feeding the ball into the penalty area resulted in the above scoring....they relied on a player like him bringing them into the game and our 433 still needs it for more goals...Mac knows this,which is,why he wanted him back....bent is a fantastic poacher but he plays very differently.

We can make do obviously but without his type of play we are running well below our prime.

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Ulloa?

Didn't you once unleash your inner pedant and argue tooth and nail that Martin wasn't a 20 goal a season striker because he'd only ever hit 20 in the league once? 

Ulloa has only ever hit 20+ League goals (and in fact in all competitions) once. In the Spanish second division. His next best season is 16 goals in all competitions.

Opinions. 

How long we going to be reliant on Martin for? 

He didn't score in his last 20 odd games for us and his attitude and the effort he put in was awful. He clearly didn't want to be here. 

Now by the sound of things he dont want to be at Fulham here and looking at the Fulham fans comments where they would "happily drive the fat useless *****" back to Derby. It would seem he is carrying on as he left. 

I was happy to see the back of him and dont want him back. 

Bogle could turn out to be a gem. We dont know. But whilst we still keep relying on a lazy Chris Martin coming back we'll never know. 

5 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Opinions. 

He didn't score in his last 20 odd games for us and his attitude and the effort he put in was awful. He clearly didn't want to be here. 

Now by the sound of things he dont want to be at Fulham here and looking at the Fulham fans comments where they would "happily drive the fat useless *****" back to Derby. It would seem he is carrying on as he left. 

Bogle could turn out to be a gem. We dont know. But whilst we still keep relying on a lazy Chris Martin coming back we'll never know. 

@MACKWORTHRAM important message for you. Toddy has hacked into your account. :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Opinions. 

Berbatov was 'lazy', Ozil is 'lazy', Conor Sammon isn't, Theo isn't… 

He's the equal 10th top scorer in the division. Got a fair few goals more than his replacement has.

Yes he had a dry spell at Derby but all strikers go through that. Assuming he is back next season, I'm confident we will see double figures from him again.

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Berbatov was 'lazy', Ozil is 'lazy', Conor Sammon isn't, Theo isn't… 

Depends McClaren wants. I personally think that McClaren wants to eventually turn us into a 'mini Liverpool' who harass teams from the front, combined with the Dutch 4-3-3 way. In order to achieve this, Martin may not be the first choice, like Stuuridge isn't first choice for Liverpool. Of course we can't do that at the moment because of the lack of players available so he has probably had to put his plans on hold. Have to agree with Mackworth Ram in some aspects, I think a lot of fans are living on nostalgia regarding Martin. Sure he had some great times but he also had some stinking awful times as well. At times at last season he couldn't trap cement. Whenever we come up against the truly best defenders in the league, I know that Martin will lose the battle every time. A lot of fans are saying they don't want McCormack here because of his attitude, but hasn't Martin got exactly the same attitude problem? 

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Haha football is all about opinions mate.

Im not a fan of Martin. 

There has to come a point where we don't rely on him anymore. 

Respect your opinion whilst not entirely agreeing with you. You're right we can't rely on him forever. Disagree with the lazy tag you've given him however. He definitely got disenchanted under the Mental One but if you watch the away game against Burton again, I've never seen him chase the ball down more than in that match. That's why I feel the lazy tag is unfair. He was doing what Pearson obviously wanted him to do, only for him to then haul him off. He was furious with being subbed and looking back his body language also told that relationship wasn't gonna last the test of time. I feel if he wants to come back and it is still a big if, he deserves one more chance under Mac purely based on the fact that he's proven at this level and time is still on his side to recapture his best form. Love him or hate him he was pivotal to the previous good times under McClaren. 

Archived