Chris Martin - Signed for Fulham

Animal is a Ram

Judging strikers ,,,,,,, there's a lot said about more than just scoring goals and that's fair enough as judging keepers on more than just shot stopping also makes sense ,, my take is that scoring goals is the starting point and first criteria then you look at the rest from there much the same as a keeper has to stop shots first and foremost ,, no good having a keeper who commands the box and distributes well but can't save a thing ,,,,, in this division with our money and status a striker for us should be getting 15 league goals a season minimum and the starting point to judge the rest of his game and what he brings to the team ,,, a striker that gets 15 min but brings not much more is not great and one who can't get you 15 but is a good worker and links well is not good enough to get you up either ,,,, in fairness Martin is good enough for us at this point but I'm sure there are others out there good enough too ,,, the rest we don't really know enough about as we don't see them training and in the dressing room and what they bring to or take away from team spirit when the going is tough ,,,,,, just my take on this whole x amount of goals stats argy bargy 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ellafella said:

That is impressive statisticall-ing. Have a like. I can see a whole league table of the best penalty-takers of all time emerging...with % strike rates, and maybe a bar chart, with an all-time Derby County penalty-takers league, sorted alphabetically and then in descending order of strike rates...did Charlie George, for example, ever miss one? I always loved the way, oh so cooly, Charlie would smash the ball into the high stantion as if he was nonchalantly angry with the ball for even thinking it wasn't going to feel those nylon squares against its leather skin...and that noise of ball-hitting-net,simultaneous with the sight of the net licking its lips around the sphere of its very circumference. I can see a whole taxonomy of different types of penalties...the smash, the dink, the side swipe, the straight and narrow, the in-off...there is a whole book of work just waiting to be classified. 

I always thought the size of the goal between the posts was a lot smaller in those days, so penalties were technically hard to score?

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

You mean the loan move he made BEFORE we let Martin go? 

Yeh that makes sense...

I was making the point that in relatively recent times you could get a really decent hold up player up top for a decent fee....losing the will to live here...

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I was making the point that in relatively recent times you could get a really decent hold up player up top for a decent fee....losing the will to live here...

Since you're obviously part of the "hey I've got a single unfeasible example here which I'm going to use to claim I've made a valid point" brigade I imagine your will to live is hanging by a fairly tenuous thread... So please don't let go of it... I'd feel bad for you...

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Since you're obviously part of the "hey I've got a single unfeasible example here which I'm going to use to claim I've made a valid point" brigade I imagine your will to live is hanging by a fairly tenuous thread... So please don't let go of it... I'd feel bad for you...

As you were 8 years out on when Brighton snapped up Murray I thought you needed correcting.......

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

As you were 8 years out on when Brighton snapped up Murray I thought you needed correcting.......

You mean the Glenn Murray who Brighton signed in 2008 from Rochdale and played for them for 3 years? That Glenn Murray? 2008 being exactly 9 years ago? That one is it?

Maybe just a quick Google next time might make you look less daft?

16 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

You mean the Glenn Murray who Brighton signed in 2008 from Rochdale and played for them for 3 years? That Glenn Murray? 2008 being exactly 9 years ago? That one is it?

Maybe just a quick Google next time might make you look less daft?

Dear oh dear, you are such an utter numpty. I saw Murray play for Brighton first time around ta. I was responding to the point made by you that no other target/hold up man up top was available at a reasonable fee/loan. Brighton took Murray on loan 7 months ago so my example is totally valid.....get a grip....

15 hours ago, McLovin said:

For me, only slightly. The performances haven't been great since McClaren has returned but the results have picked up which is I guess what matters at the end of the day. That may be down to a number of factors but primarily him not having the team he wants yet. Would have been nice to see how James Wilson would have fitted into the team because McClaren was a fan of his.

I just want to go back to disagree with this. I think if you look back to how we played under Pearson, it was much much worse. We've improved under McClaren but I would say certainly the way we've played hasn't made us believe that we definitely DESERVE to be in the playoffs. I think it's hard to not compare this Mac season to how we used to be before under him, and we're nowhere near that yet. But we're miles ahead of Pearson's football. I can honestly say I think he'd have relegated us.

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

A goalkeeper is not judged on saves and number of goals let in. Would you sign a great shot-stopper who can't catch from crosses, communciate with the defence or distribute well? Obviously not...

Stoke did :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Dear oh dear, you are such an utter numpty. I saw Murray play for Brighton first time around ta. I was responding to the point made by you that no other target/hold up man up top was available at a reasonable fee/loan. Brighton took Murray on loan 7 months ago so my example is totally valid.....get a grip....

You're a simple child aren't you?

1) You might want to check your facts first chief... I didn't make the point @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong did... So interesting that you call someone out for incorrect 'facts' when you can't manage it yourself

2) Brighton took Murray on loan at a time when we already had a decent hold up man... Called Chris Martin... You may have heard of him... there's a thread about him around here somewhere...

3) Furthermore we have no idea what he is/was available at as the current deal is a loan... Whereas he WAS available at a very good rate 9 years ago... As my point was...

Maybe pay more attention in English class when they do reading comprehension... Rather than spending time on here during school hours...

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Is Martin in B and Q yet? 

No but I heard he was seen picking up a new gazebo in Homebase...

But that obviously means he's defo leaving permanently.

Actuality that's an interesting thought... With all the back and forth over this there hasn't been ANY suggestion of Fulham stumping up the cash in this window to buy him permanently has there? That would be a VERY easy way for them to put the whole thing to bed...

34 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

You're a simple child aren't you?

1) You might want to check your facts first chief... I didn't make the point @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong did... So interesting that you call someone out for incorrect 'facts' when you can't manage it yourself

2) Brighton took Murray on loan at a time when we already had a decent hold up man... Called Chris Martin... You may have heard of him... there's a thread about him around here somewhere...

3) Furthermore we have no idea what he is/was available at as the current deal is a loan... Whereas he WAS available at a very good rate 9 years ago... As my point was...

Maybe pay more attention in English class when they do reading comprehension... Rather than spending time on here during school hours...

The point made, by whom, it doesn't really matter,  was that nobody is available to play the Martin role for the Rams at a reasonable fee/loan? Are we agreed on that? I agree we don't know is currently available. There were rumours recently that Crouch might move on to get game time. He would have been ideal but he has just signed a new contract at Stoke. There might be similar options elsewhere or a loan available for a young Premiership player. Agreed? My point, which is perfectly valid, is that in relatively recent times (7 months ago), Brighton, a Championship team, were able to bring in Murray, a class act, who plays that exact role, on a cheapish loan. So it is possible and for a lot cheaper than what Fulham might pay us for Martin. Quite how Murray playing for Brighton 9 years ago is relevant to this discussion is beyond me. Perhaps you can explain? 

25 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Actuality that's an interesting thought... With all the back and forth over this there hasn't been ANY suggestion of Fulham stumping up the cash in this window to buy him permanently has there? That would be a VERY easy way for them to put the whole thing to bed...

Why would they ? They want to see how he does and what division they are playing in next season exactly the same position they took when they loaned him as opposed to buying him ,,,, 

12 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

The point made, by whom, it doesn't really matter,  was that nobody is available to play the Martin role for the Rams at a reasonable fee/loan? Are we agreed on that? I agree we don't know is currently available. There were rumours recently that Crouch might move on to get game time. He would have been ideal but he has just signed a new contract at Stoke. There might be similar options elsewhere or a loan available for a young Premiership player. Agreed? My point, which is perfectly valid, is that in relatively recent times (7 months ago), Brighton, a Championship team, were able to bring in Murray, a class act, who plays that exact role, on a cheapish loan. So it is possible and for a lot cheaper than what Fulham might pay us for Martin. Quite how Murray playing for Brighton 9 years ago is relevant to this discussion is beyond me. Perhaps you can explain? 

Because you are providing speculation on top of speculation on top of assumption based on nothing...

If you spent more time on your reading comprehension and less on insults and trying to show 'how much smarter' you are than everyone else you would have noticed I specifically said that you are using a single example as "well this must be possible because xxx happened so easy isn't it?"

Jamie Vardy won the Premier League and therefore every player signed from non league will be excellent... It's the same point...

Instead of quoting one example of an unavailable player why not tell us the multitude of others which are out there? Because what we've seen in the last couple of years is that there are LOADS of expensive flops and bargain signings of exactly what people need are few and far between...

I suspect your next point will be "well that's not my job is it? that's what our scouting team are for..."

Archived