Fernando Forestieri

DcFc Dyycheee

I'm with Bris on this one; I really, really don't see this happening.

Wednesday fans are delighted with Forestieri because he cost £3m and his return last season was decent. He's now worth a lot more than that, especially to Wednesday, therefore £7m isn't going to cut it. 

What we would need to pay for Wednesday to allow him to talk to us would far exceed what his actual value to the club would be. In other words, what we would need to spend on Forestieri would comfortably buy a replacement of higher quality. It's a mug's game going after promotion rivals' players. The immediate threat to their promotion chances alone means the valuation is 30% (at least) higher than it would be to a Premier League club. 

I do think this is more of a publicity stunt  than anything else - confirmed by the DET revealing the bid when they haven't had a transfer scoop since Phil Brown sat on the throne! 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be absolutley "GOB SMACKED" if we manage to sign Forestieri. Are only slight chance is whether he has a selling fee trigger amount built into his contract. But even then based on what I saw of him on Sunday we don't have a cat in hell's chance of getting his signature sadly. If you were a S/W fan would you be happy to see him go.

He would be a great signing but I'd be very surprised if we actually got him. As already mentioned, what it'll take to actually get him will be a price above his value. I'm sure Sheffield Wednesday would rather sell him slightly cheaper to a PL club than they would to us. Unless he has a release clause or properly kicks off about wanting to leave, then I doubt it.

It would be a great signing though, he's a fantastic player. Imagine selling Hendrick, signing Forestieri and Gunnarsson and still being in profit, it'd be a pretty good window.

I'd argue we'e flashing the cash in public on a target we're highly unlikely to get as a thumb in the eye of Bristol City. It's practically saying, "look, play fair or we'll take our giant wad of cash elsewhere". Don't get me wrong, it'd be a very exciting signing. It's been a long time since we were able to just waddle up to a rival for promotion and just cherry pick their best player. Not since the Pickering checkbook days i'd wager.

Quite clearly Sheffield Wednesday aren't going to part with Forestieri. Our bid for him smacks to me of desperation. Their seems to be no plan or preparation for this season other to abandon 4-3-3 without having the players to play 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. In contrast in previous seasons teams who won promotion such as Bournemouth (Callum Wilson), and Burnley ( Andre Gray) signed their key striker prior to the start of the season and had a game plan. Brighton have done the same with Murray in addition to Hemed. Our scouting and recruitment policy in comparison seems inept . How is it that Camara was recruited from Angers yet Kodjia who played for the same team was missed?

36 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Quite clearly Sheffield Wednesday aren't going to part with Forestieri. Our bid for him smacks to me of desperation. Their seems to be no plan or preparation for this season other to abandon 4-3-3 without having the players to play 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. In contrast in previous seasons teams who won promotion such as Bournemouth (Callum Wilson), and Burnley ( Andre Gray) signed their key striker prior to the start of the season and had a game plan. Brighton have done the same with Murray in addition to Hemed. Our scouting and recruitment policy in comparison seems inept . How is it that Camara was recruited from Angers yet Kodjia who played for the same team was missed?

Not got a plan or preparation? Quite the opposite too me . Pearson obviously has a plan and a formation/ style he wants us to play , have you not seen that from the games we've played so far ? Even pre season . To me he seems as though he's wanted to see what our current players can do in his proffered system before spunking a load of money on someone if it's not needed . Your saying you would have liked us to sign Glenn Murray? Did you not see him Saturday? He was awful ! How can it be a bid of desperation ? For one of the leagues best players . 

1 hour ago, Harrowram said:

Quite clearly Sheffield Wednesday aren't going to part with Forestieri. Our bid for him smacks to me of desperation. Their seems to be no plan or preparation for this season other to abandon 4-3-3 without having the players to play 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. In contrast in previous seasons teams who won promotion such as Bournemouth (Callum Wilson), and Burnley ( Andre Gray) signed their key striker prior to the start of the season and had a game plan. Brighton have done the same with Murray in addition to Hemed. Our scouting and recruitment policy in comparison seems inept . How is it that Camara was recruited from Angers yet Kodjia who played for the same team was missed?

Anyone would think that scouts simply have to turn up, see a player and instantly recognise their full potential because it is THAT obvious.....Maybe a certain player doesn't play that well on the day one scout watches him but is on better form when another does?

Does the fact that Juve got Pogba for £800k and Barca, Real, Arsenal, Munich etc didn't mean all the latter have rubbish scouts? Of course not.  This isn't football manager where a scout reports on a player and assigns values to characteristics and those values are absolute certainties including his "potential" stars. And if they miss a single player that doesn't mean they are rubbish.  We are dealing with people's judgements based on watching a player for a few games and trying to divine their future potential; without the benefit of seeing them in training etc.

As for no plan or preparation for the season. What utter nonsense.  Pearson has clearly been preparing the players for 2 different formations.  It takes time to adjust to that. Maybe 3 or 4 months even.  It may well be that our players do adjust to those formations. I certainly think Bent can play up top in either formation given a good run.

Yes; it may be that it takes us time to get going and we lose some ground.  But when you change a manager you can't expect instant success (you can 'hope' for it but not 'expect' it).  My expectation for this season is play-offs. I'll judge Pearson at the end of season 2 when the team is his and he's had ample time.

28 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Not got a plan or preparation? Quite the opposite too me . Pearson obviously has a plan and a formation/ style he wants us to play , have you not seen that from the games we've played so far ? Even pre season . To me he seems as though he's wanted to see what our current players can do in his proffered system before spunking a load of money on someone if it's not needed . Your saying you would have liked us to sign Glenn Murray? Did you not see him Saturday? He was awful ! How can it be a bid of desperation ? For one of the leagues best players . 

I agree with your points on Pearson  but I thought Murray led the line brilliantly on Saturday and gave Keogh a torrid time.

I prefer quick, skilful forwards however and hope we can sign Forestieri.

1 hour ago, Harrowram said:

Gray played 2-3 games for Brentford last season before Burnley signed him, was towards the end of August. :thumbsup:

Derby got no chance of signing him:

7mil is too low, scored 15 goals last season playing on the wing and about 10 assists

If our chairman sold what is probably our best player, most of our fans would lose faith in him, your our promotion rivals and we don't need the money.

However, there is a fair chance of a release clause considering we got him for around 3 mil but unless it was a prem team I could only see him moving for another championship side if he was really unhappy.

Newcastle wanted to buy him, but instead of making an offer their scouts spoke to agents etc and realised it weren't going to happen and didn't bother bidding, not sure why your lot thought it would be any different to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, NottsOWL said:

7mil is too low, scored 15 goals last season playing on the wing and about 10 assists

If our chairman sold what is probably our best player, most of our fans would lose faith in him, your our promotion rivals and we don't need the money.

However, there is a fair chance of a release clause considering we got him for around 3 mil but unless it was a prem team I could only see him moving for another championship side if he was really unhappy.

Newcastle wanted to buy him, but instead of making an offer their scouts spoke to agents etc and realised it weren't going to happen and didn't bother bidding, not sure why your lot thought it would be any different to be honest. 

pretty much what everyone on here has said and agrees on pal, but thanks for stopping by

3 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I'd say he's got a plan, but there's been no preparation. As for the bit in bold, people said the same last summer about BJ.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

pretty much what everyone on here has said and agrees on pal, but thanks for stopping by

Yep, we are all in agreement , not sure why Owls fans think anything other than that. £7 m far too low ( unless a clause) and they also don't need or want to sell him. End of story.

so he will sign by Friday then ?Lol

17 minutes ago, NottsOWL said:

Yes we know all this (apart from the Newcastle bit). But it seems to have ruffled a few feathers for you Owls. 

Archived