Why did we appoint Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

I'm with @Bris Vegas, sticking with what we have makes no sense. Sacking Pearson after five games would be crazy though, despite the football being utterly diabolical. Morris needs to do what he refused to do with Clement and Wassall and stick with his man, and probably at least for a good part of this season unless by some catastrophe we end up in danger of going down.

That means a mini clear-out is needed. Personally I'd be looking to move Blackman, Bent, Russell and Hendrick (for Burnley's silly offer). Bring in Wisdom and McManaman on the cheap, and Vydra. Then give Elsnik, Zanzala and Lowe first team opportunities.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

With hindsight, we appointed Pearson because of his "Leicester glow" and because the hostility to Wassail being given the job til the end of the season after Clement, the bungled communication after sacking Clement, the perceived notion that we needed a clear "promotion" manager and clear statement that the club were focused on that goal - aopint Pearson and let him have at our "soft" squad.

Basically, abandoned the Derby way due to fan reaction/public perception and Pearson's stock was high at that point. For example, some people on this forum were nursing Boner's for Pearson so hard they were in danger on popping blood vessels.

In retrospect, appointing Wassall would have sold fewer season tickets, but probably given us a team still playing like that back end of last season.

37 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

With hindsight, we appointed Pearson because of his "Leicester glow" and because the hostility to Wassail being given the job til the end of the season after Clement, the bungled communication after sacking Clement, the perceived notion that we needed a clear "promotion" manager and clear statement that the club were focused on that goal - aopint Pearson and let him have at our "soft" squad.

Basically, abandoned the Derby way due to fan reaction/public perception and Pearson's stock was high at that point. For example, some people on this forum were nursing Boner's for Pearson so hard they were in danger on popping blood vessels.

In retrospect, appointing Wassall would have sold fewer season tickets, but probably given us a team still playing like that back end of last season.

Yep,in hindsight if we had stayed with wassell there would have a hell of a lot of continuity,even if Mac had subsequently returned...plus we would have retained the key players we lost through Pearson and actually bought others that fitted in....

I was pleased about Pearson's appointment, ecstatic about Clement starting, and really happy when Mac was back. Just shows I'm easily pleased and useless at gauging good managers

43 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

I was pleased about Pearson's appointment, ecstatic about Clement starting, and really happy when Mac was back. Just shows I'm easily pleased and useless at gauging good managers

Most people were very pleased about Clement. Was he really a bad manager? 5th in the table a few points off the autos. His departure seems like madness now....imo

I hated pearson, never wanted him, got behind him when he was appointed but never wanted him here

clement thought i was buzzing when we got him. Thought great a young manager let him build something, take us up turn us into a decent prem side and be here 10 years shaping the club  

51 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Didn't he go several matches without a win tho?

As I recall people were baying for his blood too just as they are now for macs....

With Clement though you had many excuses; it's his first job, Derby weren't being clinical in attack, we were rock solid at the back, he was playing our best players.

Pearson had none of these excuses. He put out players that clearly were nowhere near our best, in a formation that didn't suit them, we looked flakey at the back and it wasn't his first job.

56 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

With Clement though you had many excuses; it's his first job, Derby weren't being clinical in attack, we were rock solid at the back, he was playing our best players.

Pearson had none of these excuses. He put out players that clearly were nowhere near our best, in a formation that didn't suit them, we looked flakey at the back and it wasn't his first job.

Absolutely......Pearson was disastrous in such a short time and we are still reeling from his actions.

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Absolutely......Pearson was disastrous in such a short time and we are still reeling from his actions.

But he never got time to rebuild us in the image of his Leicester team....his Leicester team......Leicester....!

But By god he did a thorough job on destroying a team that, even though it had frustrated and disappointed, I loved, and I don't believe I was alone in that.

I won't knock Pearson's character, in so much as I believe he was working as hard as he could to succeed, doing what he believed was right, and also, we will never be able to judge the team he might have built given time.

But (its probably obvious) I've not really forgiven him for what he did to the team that had rekindled my love for DCFC, played occasionally breathtaking football, been in the hunt for three seasons.......no,rip it up,break it down a rebuild...

21 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Didn't he go several matches without a win tho?

As I recall people were baying for his blood too just as they are now for macs....

If they were it seems strange. 5th in table and a few points off autos...anyone unhappy about may be a bit deluded. Just my opinion though. 

23 hours ago, Strange yearnings said:

Also shows you have unwavering faith, nowt wrong with that.

Pearson I just wasn't sure but thought he might at least stiffen our resolve, sadly he was a train wreck, we will never know whether it was of Jewell or Tommy Doc proportions but the ingredients were there.

Archived