Hodgson Resigns - Next England Manager?

Day

England manager  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Another point I'd make, we'll never get kids to play football properly until we stop making them turn out in the middle of winter on pitches that range from ankle high mudbaths to semi defrosted cheesecakes.

Make it a summer sport, at least until they're 12/13, even Messi wouldn't have come through an English winter.

The amount some within the FA are being paid and the amount of money in the game surely we could build plenty of 3G pitches around the country.

Problem is money, take DW on Pride Park, both my lads are there on a Saturday morning training with Derby County Community coaching.

DW have just cut the number of pitches in half indoors so they can accommodate a trampoline park. All for different things etc, but that was only put in for one thing. A cash cow.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, cannable said:

The idea behind non-competitive football is so that results football isn't a thing at an early age and that the main focus is developing them as footballers. 

Think about it, have competitive football from an early age and the 'best' players will all be the naturally taller, faster and stronger kids.

Disagree with your last paragraph for reasons I've stated in my posts earlier. What's so good for a "good team" being in a competitive competition where they win 14/15-0 every game? 

Ive seen it, the kids are cocky, the managers think their Mourinho..... 

Fun at a early age is the most important thing, and sadly that's gone missing for personal gain of some.

25 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Disagree with your last paragraph for reasons I've stated in my posts earlier. What's so good for a "good team" being in a competitive competition where they win 14/15-0 every game? 

Ive seen it, the kids are cocky, the managers think their Mourinho..... 

Fun at a early age is the most important thing, and sadly that's gone missing for personal gain of some.

That's what I was saying :lol:

Some great comments here...I know someone who was, let's just say not a great (he was ****) footballer as we were growing up and playing Sunday morning together  he finished playing and went in to coaching his kids under 8's team.. The things I would hear him say about how he was getting them fitter and stronger than other teams by doing long distance runs and fitness training, how he had a "hard session" every week for them and even one training session every couple of weeks where they didn't get out the footballs...

up until at least 12 they should all be playing, anyone who wants a game, good, no good, enthusiastic, lazy, boy, girl, big, small, fat, thin anyone who wants a game. 

They should be playing on nice small pitches, indoor if it's cold and miserable and it HAS to be fun..! How many great players have we missed out on because they went to football on a Saturday morning and they were in a team getting hammered 12-0 or they went to training and the coach who thought he was Mike Bassett had them running around the pitch 20 times...?

but will anything get done about it..? Nope...we have had this same discussion after the last 10 tournaments....

Worth thinking about what an acceptable strategic plan and timescale might look like. 

Worth recalling that Germany launched their review of their whole set up after euro 2000 and designed their extended talent program. But they still got dumped out of euro 2004 at the group stage without winning a match. OK they did well at wc2006 but with a home bounce. Even we haven't failed to reach at least semi final at home! 

They won in 2014 so it takes perhaps 10 to 12 years. St Georges park was opened what,  2014?

Bloke on talksport tonight suggested hiring a 4 year interim eg hoddle whilst he mentored a British joachim loew who would then take over. That's the sort of foresight we will need. 

I don't know if it is the same here but in other countries players in academies are educated just like any normal child would except the academy players are taught altogether at their training ground so it's only the academy players learning. I remember watching a documentary on young footballers in China and they are educated during the rest periods e.g. after training to get maximum efficiency. This is done by hiring out teachers externally, some teachers are even in-house. 

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Another thing I'll say is that it's all about winning for some managers now. Speak to a few and some think they are the next Mourinho "I've won this, I won that"

Problem you've got as well is parents heads gets turned when a academy comes in for them. Kids of 6/7 years of age getting picked off. Parents thinking they're the best thing since sliced bread.

The idea of thewinning/competitive thing at just a young age is wrong. Game by game it's fine but why do they need a goal to get to "semi finals of this" "final of that" or you "got to score 10 against these" which I've heard frequently whilst my lads have played (6 and 9 by the way)

The biggest problem for me that NEEDS addressing is...... The fun has gone for some of the kids.

As for academies, strict rules on what they eat from the age 8 (no maccies etc), can't a child be a child FFS.

They ain't robots, they need to grow up and be a person first.

As for the older lads 16/17, they need a education in life, they've got everything handed to them on a plate and are bubble wrapped from living life. There not educated  in actually having a life. Footballers are like politicians for me now. Live in a enclosed life where they don't see the real world.

Beautiful post. 

The hardest thing to compete with when coaching kids is parents thinking that kids football is a "level". 

It's not a level of football.  It's not a platform to perform on. It's not a stepping stone. It's a school. 

They come to make friends, have fun and learn. 

The best way to learn in football is to learn on the job. Make a mistake, fall over, head the ball with your nose... They can't do that if they're taking shortcuts to win. I want to see a pass go wrong 99 times in 100. Because that 1 time it works is the A* in an exam. I don't want him playing safe. I want him learning the hard way but a way that doesn't cost him or his teammates anything. No pressure at all. You've signed up to play football. It was a choice. And it should feel like a choice and not a chore. 

I remember running around Alvaston park for 15 minutes as a kid. What for? Does anyone know why kids are doing fitness drills? Anyone? 

So much pointless ***** in both matches and training. Because we treat it like part of the pyramid. It's not a level of football. School is not part of real life. It's pure development. And parents accept that. 

But it comes to football and they don't have the patience. Quick! Get the kid up the ladder!! 

No! He doesn't need to win, he doesn't need to run down the line because no other kid is as fast. He needs to understand for himself how to create space for not just himself but for others. He needs to learn his timing. What risks he can handle. His balance. 

He needs to learn it all in a variety of situations and he needs to be allowed to do it wrong without fear. 

But do parents care? Nope. It's all about the winning. And we're pushing through incomplete players. Players who have natural instincts and fast learners but then Joe Bloggs wanted to pretend he's Mourinho and decided to make him serve a purpose to a team. 

Need more support from parents and less coaches thinking of themselves. 

Borrowash Vics are doing it right with their kids 

28 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

@Duracell Can you expand on why they don't get an education? 

As as a secondary school teacher myself I'm very interested in what they're missing from school?

Well I could go into a long rant about our education system in general, but that's for another thread. And by education, I don't just mean what happens in the classroom. All I will say is that I don't feel we value education enough in this country; we don't fund our school's properly and overwork our teachers. And not enough parents are supportive.

On this specific subject, it's not so much about what they're missing from school as how much school they're missing, and what's done about that. English football clubs have been late to the party in terms of realising how important it is to develop players off the pitch as well as on it.

3 hours ago, cannable said:

The idea behind non-competitive football is so that results football isn't a thing at an early age and that the main focus is developing them as footballers. 

Think about it, have competitive football from an early age and the 'best' players will all be the naturally taller, faster and stronger kids.

Ok. I do kind of accept that and maybe the format for week to week football is correct.

But why no cup tournament at a young age? That surely wouldn't hurt. Would it? That would be fun.

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I have to say I agree on a lot of what you are saying, actually all of it, apart from that kids should be playing competitively at 7. They shouldn't have to worry about winning and losing until they are at least 11 or 12. One of the biggest problems is the parents and "coaches" who all think they are the next Wenger, far too may of them are interested in winning for their personal gain rather than what might be good for the kids involved.

All the talk about the population size of Iceland, everyone has heard, well I heard an interesting fact today, there are more registered coaches in Iceland than England....let that sink in for a second...now tell me where the problem is.

That is unbelievable re. Iceland coaches.

I love the game. I enjoy watching my son play as much as I used to enjoy playing myself. But I refuse to get too involved with the coaching. You're onto a hiding for nothing.

I think my thoughts are shared by many.

3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Another thing I'll say is that it's all about winning for some managers now. Speak to a few and some think they are the next Mourinho "I've won this, I won that"

Problem you've got as well is parents heads gets turned when a academy comes in for them. Kids of 6/7 years of age getting picked off. Parents thinking they're the best thing since sliced bread.

The idea of thewinning/competitive thing at just a young age is wrong. Game by game it's fine but why do they need a goal to get to "semi finals of this" "final of that" or you "got to score 10 against these" which I've heard frequently whilst my lads have played (6 and 9 by the way)

The biggest problem for me that NEEDS addressing is...... The fun has gone for some of the kids.

As for academies, strict rules on what they eat from the age 8 (no maccies etc), can't a child be a child FFS.

They ain't robots, they need to grow up and be a person first.

As for the older lads 16/17, they need a education in life, they've got everything handed to them on a plate and are bubble wrapped from living life. There not educated  in actually having a life. Footballers are like politicians for me now. Live in a enclosed life where they don't see the real world.

Ok. Non compatible matches week in week out but surely a cup completion would be fun. Some kids are motivated by competition. Surely there's a compromise somewhere. School football is competitive but only lasts for a few months of the year.

No McDonalds. Seriously?.

As a football fan, you want good football but you also want personalities. My lad won't ever make it based on the academy rules.

Personally, going back 20-25 years ago, I thought the way we played as kids was perfect. I loved it. But there were literally no scouts watching ever. Even when we played district football. But it was fun. It's the opposite now. Scouts galore, less fun.

1 hour ago, rhysbeck said:

http://gu.com/p/4n63c/sbl

Gareth Southgate not interested in succeeding Roy Hodgson with England

• Under-21 manager reluctant to consider position even on interim basis 
• Former Boro manager considers job better suited to one with more experience

Gareth, you have saved yourself a pile of agony. Good decision mate.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

Only an idiot would take the job.....best ask Murdoch who will be the next england boss

SSN decidea instead to dip into has-been''s corner in the shape of the mildly xenophobic, but extremely bald ray Wilkins plus matt le tosser whose England career spanned a handful of friendlies. 

Wilkins in particular was embarrassing. Both a born again hoddle nan and believes rooney still has it all.

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

Beautiful post. 

The hardest thing to compete with when coaching kids is parents thinking that kids football is a "level". 

It's not a level of football.  It's not a platform to perform on. It's not a stepping stone. It's a school. 

They come to make friends, have fun and learn. 

The best way to learn in football is to learn on the job. Make a mistake, fall over, head the ball with your nose... They can't do that if they're taking shortcuts to win. I want to see a pass go wrong 99 times in 100. Because that 1 time it works is the A* in an exam. I don't want him playing safe. I want him learning the hard way but a way that doesn't cost him or his teammates anything. No pressure at all. You've signed up to play football. It was a choice. And it should feel like a choice and not a chore. 

I remember running around Alvaston park for 15 minutes as a kid. What for? Does anyone know why kids are doing fitness drills? Anyone? 

So much pointless ***** in both matches and training. Because we treat it like part of the pyramid. It's not a level of football. School is not part of real life. It's pure development. And parents accept that. 

But it comes to football and they don't have the patience. Quick! Get the kid up the ladder!! 

No! He doesn't need to win, he doesn't need to run down the line because no other kid is as fast. He needs to understand for himself how to create space for not just himself but for others. He needs to learn his timing. What risks he can handle. His balance. 

He needs to learn it all in a variety of situations and he needs to be allowed to do it wrong without fear. 

But do parents care? Nope. It's all about the winning. And we're pushing through incomplete players. Players who have natural instincts and fast learners but then Joe Bloggs wanted to pretend he's Mourinho and decided to make him serve a purpose to a team. 

Need more support from parents and less coaches thinking of themselves. 

Borrowash Vics are doing it right with their kids 

You're wasted on a football forum.

@Alpha for FA head!

Archived