Hodgson Resigns - Next England Manager?

Day

England manager  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You can't say Roy Hodgson doesn't have balls at least.

Still don't get how he can defend our performances in the first three games. We played well against Russia, the worst team in the tournament, for large portions of the game. We didn't play well against Wales or Slovakia. Yes, we had possession. But ffs Roy, surely you could spot it was all in front of them and incredibly slow?

Also strange how he said he didn't see this defeat coming, and yet he delivered a prepared resignation speech last night.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

Had Schteve got us promoted, then kept us up i would say he was in with a great shout, as he didnt and was inept at Newcaslte i would think he has more chance of the Enfield job.

Sith Happens

Hoddle 2nd favourite....i actually think hes a decent manager, but hes not managed now for years. Surely would need to prove himself at club level again, likewise with southgate for me...ok had done ok with the U21's but doesnt have a great record at club level.

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Contracts and 'he said' dont mean a lot if the right offer comes in. The nationality doesnt worry me, its no different to any other.

It may not worry you but I guarantee there will be a section of England fans that are closet xenophobes who don't want him because of the issues with Argentina as a result of the Falklands. Guus Hiddink would be a clever choice, although he flopped as the Netherlands manager. 

Amazing how the FA bloke is still talking about us needing to punch our weight. 

After 50 years of consistent failure 'that is your weight'. Accept it and move on. 

Dont try and blow smoke up people's arses telling them they are better than they are. Time after time we've proven nothing of the like. 

The sooner they accept it the better off we will be because they will take any rebuild seriously. 

The manager doesn't need to have passion,he needs to instill passion in the players,inspire them to fight and to believe in themselves.He has to have experience,better still to have international experience.2 good examples: Martin O'Neill and Chris Coleman.If Coleman can do it for Wales,just think what he could do for England. I think he is on a short contract. Otherwise it looks a shoe-in for Southgate. Please no.

22 minutes ago, McLovin said:

"yeah, we're totally just going to blame the manager. I mean Joe was never really comfortable with his unfamiliar role of using his hand to stop the ball going into the goal or the notion that we pass the ball to someone in the same colour shirt as you're wearing."

"totally not us players assuming we'd win because we are world class players in the best league in the world"

"but it was Iceland, so you know, we'd totally win that game if we had it again, like every time"

Sith Happens
16 minutes ago, McLovin said:

It may not worry you but I guarantee there will be a section of England fans that are closet xenophobes who don't want him because of the issues with Argentina as a result of the Falklands. Guus Hiddink would be a clever choice, although he flopped as the Netherlands manager. 

I dont think that would prevent the FA making the right choice, i am sure there are tottenham fans who fall into the same category too but probably arent bothered if their team does well. Likewise Liverpool fans with Klopp....how far do we go back?

The falklands was over 30 years ago, i'd welcome anyone on here to explain why they wouldnt want him because of his nationality.

If someone is the right person their nationality is irrelevant in my view.

Wait until Chelsea's crybaby players start to demand the firing of Antonio Conte due to the fact he wants too much of commitment from his team and hire him. Until then you can appoint Kevin Keegan or someone.

The main problem is mentality for me, even though I think Roy Hodgson's tactics and team selections have been bizarre. We have an incredibly young team, and to be fair, there was less experience in our side than Iceland had and that surely affected how both sides managed the game. But there is still a huge problem with our footballing culture in this country. We coach our lads to be footballers, but we do not teach them how to be men. 

From the moment they break in to the first team, which could be as young as 16 or 17, money pours into their bank accounts quicker than they can spend it and everything is handed to them on a plate. And it can happen to them when they're still living with mum and dad. Of course, an immense amount of work and dedication goes into being a professional athlete, so I'm not accusing them of failing to put the hours in. But their family, friends and clubs suffocate them in bubble wrap.

Not one single player in the Iceland team plays in Iceland. All of them have had to move away from home and familiarise themselves with a new language, culture, and climate at some point. They've had to do it away from their friends and families, and some of them a very long way from Iceland indeed. They've had to learn how to make an impression on other people, how to interact with people different to them and they've had to fight for it. In other words, they do all the other sorts of things most young adults go through as they develop and mature.

It doesn't matter who manages us in the next tournament, what system or tactics we use or what fancy facilities we have. Until this country can produce rounded enough human beings who can cope with the pressures of kicking a football about without completely forgetting how to kick about when it matters most, we are never going to do anything.

It all comes down to education. Our footballers have everything but an education. They cannot think, communicate or behave like their overseas peers. 

PistoldPete2
14 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Shearer sounded up for it on the BBC coverage. I'd happily give him a go. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

So........ How come these same players, can so often produce the goods at club level? 

Because they play in teams managed by overseas players with overseas players around them. They can look good or even be one of the best players in these sides, but they need foreign players around them with more about them. All of the top sides only have one or two English players in their team.

Never ceases to amaze me watching Match of the Day every season, with the interviews with the players. Foreign players can arrive with no English at all, and learn to speak it better than them in months. 

It's quite embarrassing listening to the difference between Vincent Kompany and Rio Ferdinand on the BBC's Euro coverage. Jermaine Jenas will carve a career in broadcasting solely because he is an ex footballer who can speak his own language fluently.

I don't think it's possible to build a successful side out of English footballers. They're all teenagers trapped in the bodies of grown men. 

the next England manager is obvious to me , we go into every tournament on a high , thinking this is the year , have a dodgy opening result , followed by a win in the next game which gets the country back on side , next we scrape a result to gain qualification for the next round , which is then followed by total abject failure , step forward Mr Wenger this jobs made for you

8 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Disappointed he's not putting himself in a position to take questions on his decisions/the FA/Facilities etc. 

The man's been paid £14m for this time at the helm and he's just walking away from us with his middle fingers in the air.

That's why as nice a guy as he is, nobody should feel sorry for him. Like many others have said he just looked devoid of ideas, which considering in all his time in charge he has had no settled team or system is hardly surprising.

Fairly sure someone will have made the point, you just don't see other top teams tinkering as much. Germany are practically unchanged every game.

Dont think we've had a decent coach/manager since Venables, he might have been a bit Arthur Daley but only ever remember him losing a couple of games and one of those was against the Germans. Just wish the next guy would find a style and largely stick with it so a team can evolve. Most of the kids out there could do it, just need someone to coach them and for crying out find a settled team by and large.

3 hours ago, Duracell said:

The main problem is mentality for me, even though I think Roy Hodgson's tactics and team selections have been bizarre. We have an incredibly young team, and to be fair, there was less experience in our side than Iceland had and that surely affected how both sides managed the game. But there is still a huge problem with our footballing culture in this country. We coach our lads to be footballers, but we do not teach them how to be men. 

From the moment they break in to the first team, which could be as young as 16 or 17, money pours into their bank accounts quicker than they can spend it and everything is handed to them on a plate. And it can happen to them when they're still living with mum and dad. Of course, an immense amount of work and dedication goes into being a professional athlete, so I'm not accusing them of failing to put the hours in. But their family, friends and clubs suffocate them in bubble wrap.

Not one single player in the Iceland team plays in Iceland. All of them have had to move away from home and familiarise themselves with a new language, culture, and climate at some point. They've had to do it away from their friends and families, and some of them a very long way from Iceland indeed. They've had to learn how to make an impression on other people, how to interact with people different to them and they've had to fight for it. In other words, they do all the other sorts of things most young adults go through as they develop and mature.

It doesn't matter who manages us in the next tournament, what system or tactics we use or what fancy facilities we have. Until this country can produce rounded enough human beings who can cope with the pressures of kicking a football about without completely forgetting how to kick about when it matters most, we are never going to do anything.

It all comes down to education. Our footballers have everything but an education. They cannot think, communicate or behave like their overseas peers. 

Also to top that off, they are living in a completely different bubble, they are becoming like politicians in a way. 

Archived