Hodgson Resigns - Next England Manager?

Day

England manager  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 minutes ago, England Ram said:

How totally uninspiring is that list of candidates. Hodgson needed to go, not to have a clue of his best formation and team after two years is ridiculous. 

So many players didn't have a clue of where that were supposed to be, where they were supposed to be moving to, stationary, spineless and lifeless. A good manager can get a team through a game like today even when playing badly. 

Southgate!

Nevile! 

Pardew! 

May as well add Pearce or Carlton Palmer!! 

My god that's like the 1993 England back 5. Truly the stuff of nightmares. .

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me Rampage if you like but I reckon that I could have sorted the team out about as well as they played, without any training or team talks whatsoever, just by sending them for a beer and asking them to sort themselves out, allegedly :ph34r:

I wasn't actually calling for Big Sam to be the new England manager, I just can't think of anyone else bloody minded enough to decide his system then pick players to suit rather than the media driven team selection of the last few tournaments.

If Sam won't do it then Nigel Clough is the only other English  manager who seriously doesn't give a fook about popularity.

Tony Pulis is Welsh int he?

6 minutes ago, needles said:

Big Sam.

Andy Carroll up front and 44-*******-2.

Is that the Andy Carroll who finished the season looking strong as fook who would have frightened the life out of these euro softies? The one Roy felt we didn't need?

If ever we needed Carroll it was today against the Vikings! He's probably descended from Thor himself. He'd have raped and pillaged the Icelandicsonns and smashed us into the Quarter-Finals.

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Is that the Andy Carroll who finished the season looking strong as fook who would have frightened the life out of these euro softies? The one Roy felt we didn't need?

If ever we needed Carroll it was today against the Vikings! He's probably descended from Thor himself. He'd have raped and pillaged the Icelandicsonns and smashed us into the Quarter-Finals.

No he wouldn't.

He'd have sat on the bench.

And the internet would be saying "why didn't he bring on Carol"

We need somebody with balls who will set the right culture. There are plenty of worse choices than Big Sam.

Hodgson's number one crime for me was squad and team selection. Right until the end he didn't know his best team. I'd change the squad up to be honest, drop the guys at the centre of the bottling - Hart, Henderson, Sterling. I don't think any of those should play for England again to be honest, they've shown they lack what it takes at international level.

You can sacrifice a little bit of "quality" (which in Woy's eyes was playing for a big club) in exchange for players who are in form and are used to battling for wins. Antonio, Albrighton, Carroll, Defoe, Drinkwater, Townsend, Noble, Shawcross, Dann, Creswell are all players who are used to scrappier games and had strong seasons. All deserved a chance at international level imo.

My next England squad would look something like:

Forster, Butland, Heaton

Walker, Clyne, Bertrand, Dann, Smalling, Stones, Rose

Antonio, Milner, Drinkwater, Dier, Townsend, Noble, Rooney, Alli

Vardy, Carroll, Defoe, Kane, Rashford

5 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

We need somebody with balls who will set the right culture. There are plenty of worse choices than Big Sam.

Hodgson's number one crime for me was squad and team selection. Right until the end he didn't know his best team. I'd change the squad up to be honest, drop the guys at the centre of the bottling - Hart, Henderson, Sterling. I don't think any of those should play for England again to be honest, they've shown they lack what it takes at international level.

You can sacrifice a little bit of "quality" (which in Woy's eyes was playing for a big club) in exchange for players who are in form and are used to battling for wins. Antonio, Albrighton, Carroll, Defoe, Drinkwater, Townsend, Noble, Shawcross, Dann, Creswell are all players who are used to scrappier games and had strong seasons. All deserved a chance at international level imo.

My next England squad would look something like:

Forster, Butland, Heaton

Walker, Clyne, Bertrand, Dann, Smalling, Stones, Rose

Antonio, Milner, Drinkwater, Dier, Townsend, Noble, Rooney, Alli

Vardy, Carroll, Defoe, Kane, Rashford

There's hardly an English player who's not associated with bottling and abject failure. Rooney first out. He's had more than a decade of it. 

We really need someone with a bit of charisma. Someone who could not only inspire the players, but more importantly, inspire some confidence from the media. Truth be told, it didn't matter how good Hodgson was as a manager (even though we all know he wasn't), the media was never truly on his side - and it's another mountain to climb.

Unfortunately, the only man mad enough to accept the challenge and who would be able to get enough goodwill with the press is currently the manager of Liverpool. And he's German. Next best thing is to get Pardew barking nonsensical insults at both our own and the opposition's players and kind of hope that means Sterling stops dribbling with his right arm in the air, Rooney can trap a ball travelling towards him at 2mph and Hart gains full control of his hands.

Another point - Gary Neville leaves his job with his reputation in tatters. He was perfectly happy to talk the big talk as a pundit, but he's found out it's not as easy as he cracked it out to be both with Valencia and England.

29 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

There's hardly an English player who's not associated with bottling and abject failure. Rooney first out. He's had more than a decade of it. 

I think that's a big part of the problem, they're all f*cking bottlers. 

I don't know if you follow rugby (Hants so maybe) but I was thinking about the rather dramatic turnaround from England under Eddie Jones. Jones' captain Dylan Hartley, well-renowned as a bit of a nutjob, has proven to be a terrific leader.

I think the England football team need someone like Dylan Hartley, a real character who can set the right tone as captain. Get the players playing for each other and relentlessly pursuing wins. The best sides we've turned out were made special by the characters within them - e.g. Nobby Stiles, Gascoigne, to an extent Beckham, etc. I don't think that's Rooney, he's always seemed like a quiet sort and he seems to lead in the same manner.

But, having thought for quite a while, the only English player I can think of who compares remotely to Hartley in terms of being slightly on the edge is Joey Barton. He could definitely get a side to play for him but he's not good enough and probably never was. I thought Lallana showed more passion than anyone else this tournament and Alli is potentially a leader for the future but I really can't see any alternative choice for captain other than Rooney.

2 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

I think that's a big part of the problem, they're all f*cking bottlers. 

I don't know if you follow rugby (Hants so maybe) but I was thinking about the rather dramatic turnaround from England under Eddie Jones. Jones' captain Dylan Hartley, well-renowned as a bit of a nutjob, has proven to be a terrific leader.

I think the England football team need someone like Dylan Hartley, a real character who can set the right tone as captain. Get the players playing for each other and relentlessly pursuing wins. The best sides we've turned out were made special by the characters within them - e.g. Nobby Stiles, Gascoigne, to an extent Beckham, etc. I don't think that's Rooney, he's always seemed like a quiet sort and he seems to lead in the same manner.

But, having thought for quite a while, the only English player I can think of who compares remotely to Hartley in terms of being slightly on the edge is Joey Barton. He could definitely get a side to play for him but he's not good enough and probably never was. I thought Lallana showed more passion than anyone else this tournament and Alli is potentially a leader for the future but I really can't see any alternative choice for captain other than Rooney.

Posted very similar thoughts in another thread @Posh Ram - the turn around in the rugby union team has been astonishing. And it's been achieved using the same players in the main who deliveed such ignominy in the WC.

Agree that we need our Dylan Hartley character. And we should kill 2 birds with one stone by finding a skipper who is slightly mad and a proper tough bugger in central defence. Think Tony Adams , john terry or even a terry butcher type. 

That's as far as I've got. Nobody around current setup comes to mind. In premier league wonder if shawcross might be worth a look? There aren't many options!

Archived