Hodgson Resigns - Next England Manager?

Day

England manager  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I wasn't actually calling for Big Sam to be the new England manager, I just can't think of anyone else bloody minded enough to decide his system then pick players to suit rather than the media driven team selection of the last few tournaments.

If Sam won't do it then Nigel Clough is the only other English  manager who seriously doesn't give a fook about popularity.

Tony Pulis is Welsh int he?

Shearer sounded up for it on the BBC coverage. I'd happily give him a go. 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're against a team playing on the counter but sitting 20 yards from goal.

Do you 

a) Go man for man and try to beat one opponent at a time

b) Overload a flank and have an out ball on the far side. Forcing Iceland to either stretch or to risk getting opened up on their wings

That's right Roy, you went with a)

90 mins of 1v1 all over the pitch waiting for some magic or a mistake

And Harry Kane. I don't watch much England but THAT was one of the worst performances I've seen from what can now be considered an England regular. It was amazing. There's mistakes and an off day but when you're utter ***** and can't even land a free kick within 20 yards of your target... come on. Abysmal.

Roy did the right thing because that was totally clueless. 

"Let's stick 10 strikers on. Surely we'll score"

erm, it's still 10 strikers all easily man marked and facing the wrong way Roy. You could put on another 5 and all that would happen is that they'd all fall over each other.

Harry Kane! lol. Very Sammon esque

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Posted very similar thoughts in another thread @Posh Ram - the turn around in the rugby union team has been astonishing. And it's been achieved using the same players in the main who deliveed such ignominy in the WC.

Agree that we need our Dylan Hartley character. And we should kill 2 birds with one stone by finding a skipper who is slightly mad and a proper tough bugger in central defence. Think Tony Adams , john terry or even a terry butcher type. 

That's as far as I've got. Nobody around current setup comes to mind. In premier league wonder if shawcross might be worth a look? There aren't many options!

Shawcross is probably the best option available but giving him the armband would take a lot of balls as a manager considering his lack of international experience. 

The other thing we need is a winter break - players like Kane and Alli looked knackered all tournament. After all, better fitness was one of the reasons we won the WC in 1966

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Just can't think of an English manager who has the pedigree for the job. Pochettino for me.

It's a great shout but we've got ourselves into a real hole.

The England manager is simply not an attractive job for a good coach who is on the up. So we'll get left with a choice between old duds looking for or a payday second rate English coaches who are persuaded by "national pride".

Unfortunately in Roy we got a bit of both :huh:

8 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Who would want it?

Seriously what fool would want that poison chalice?

Why is every job described as a poison chalice?

It's a massive job that a lot of managers would want

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Just can't think of an English manager who has the pedigree for the job. Pochettino for me.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Argentinian as the England manager? That will go down well. He signed a new contract at Spurs until 2020 I believe and then he said he wants to go back to Spain

16 minutes ago, David said:

Why is every job described as a poison chalice?

It's a massive job that a lot of managers would want

Name them, because I am struggling to think of a top manager who would want it.

From the commentary I would have Hoddle back.

11 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Name them, because I am struggling to think of a top manager who would want it.

From the commentary I would have Hoddle back.

Why don't you make it easy for me and name all the managers that wouldn't want it. 

It's another typical overreaction to an exit from a tournament. Does losing to Iceland make the job a poison chalice, yes it was an embarrassing defeat but will it make other managers think ooooh, don't fancy that one? no chance. Let's be honest, chances are we would be off home after the next game anyway. Wasn't like we were expected to go on and win the tournament.

Someone started a thread on here calling the Derby job a poison chalice because we failed in the play offs again, didn't do too bad with the Pearson appointment then. That was another overreaction in the heat of the moment.

But say you're right, England are screwed, we're that desperate it's time to appoint a commentator and pundit that hasn't managed for years and already been previously sacked by the FA, not like that would receive a media backlash over his comments about disabled people. Just what England need right now.

Could always go for Gary Neville, another pundit that has failed miserably in management as that's where we are right now, scraping that bucket.

Adrian Chiles as assistant and Gaby Logan as Physio?

Give it a week and we'll start seeing managers throw their hat in the ring, guarantee we'll see a few big names in there as this is a big big job.

4 minutes ago, David said:
27 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

back.

Why don't you make it easy for me and name all the managers that wouldn't want it. 

Anyone under 60 and managing a top flight club in Europe, any international manager that has got their side out of the group stage, that's about a 100 right there.

It will always be a poison chalice as the FA does not help with the fact there is no winter break, too many games are played and club always comes before country.

Cannot see a system like they have in Rugby and cricket, which imho is needed.

5 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Anyone under 60 and managing a top flight club in Europe, any international manager that has got their side out of the group stage, that's about a 100 right there.

It will always be a poison chalice as the FA does not help with the fact there is no winter break, too many games are played and club always comes before country.

Cannot see a system like they have in Rugby and cricket, which imho is needed.

So you think the likes of Alan Pardew would turn it down? Said this just before Hodgson got the job instead of Harry. I've bolded one sentence which says it all. Lucky to be asked. This is a top top job in football. 

ALAN PARDEW has thrown his hat into the ring for the England job — as the successor to Harry Redknapp.

Ambitious Newcastle boss Pardew revealed for the first time that he would love to lead his country.

But only after Redknapp has had a crack at following Fabio Capello, who is set to stand down after this summer’s Euro 2012 finals.

Tottenham manager Redknapp has become the hot favourite to replace the Italian.

Pardew said: “Right now I’m fully behind Harry. I hope he gets it because he’d understand that role. He’s experienced enough and has the motivational devices to succeed.

“Hopefully I’ll get myself into a position where I’m experienced enough to be able to do that. I want to be at the top of my profession.

“I’d like to expand myself and manage overseas but, ultimately, would I like to be England manager at some stage if I was lucky enough to be asked? Yes.”

Pardew’s veteran striker Shola Ameobi has reinforced his status as the great Newcastle survivor now he has been joined by his TWENTY SECOND strike partner.

Ameobi, 30, first appeared for Toon in 2000 and has since played alongside stars such as Alan Shearer and Michael Owen.

Now he is to be partnered by new boy Papiss Cisse, even though the frontman is currently on African Nations Cup duty with Senegal.

Ameobi said: “Somebody asked me how many strikers we’d signed since I made my debut, and I guessed 28. So I wasn’t too far off. It’s a lot, nearly as many as managers here!

“Nothing will change for me. You’ve got to fight for places at every club in every position. It makes me work harder.”

We need someone with passion. We've had experienced winners such as capello and we've had experienced managers and nothings happened.

Shearer wants it an the way he was talking post match I would be happy to give him a go. He isn't going to do much worse then what we've had in the last decade or so.

22 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Two and four year old articles...what is the latest breaking news?

It's not even been 24hrs yet. So you think the England job during Roy's tenure has become a job over 100 top flight managers wouldn't touch? 

Give it a week and come back to me. Be more hats in the ring than a bridal shop.

28 minutes ago, Simsy said:

We need someone with passion. We've had experienced winners such as capello and we've had experienced managers and nothings happened.

Shearer wants it an the way he was talking post match I would be happy to give him a go. He isn't going to do much worse then what we've had in the last decade or so.

"If England can get an early goal, it should be a walk in the park"  Alan Shearer

He was a great player, but a football visionary he is not.

Wenger could do the job with Eddie Howe as assistant

Archived