Hodgson Resigns - Next England Manager?

Day

England manager  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

Name them, because I am struggling to think of a top manager who would want it.

From the commentary I would have Hoddle back.

Hoddle's commentary is some of the worst around. 

One of the worst performances in our history and he was acting like we were getting unlucky. 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe people are suggesting Alan Shearer because he delivered a good speech on MOTD. Maybe we should scout in pubs for the next gaffer?

Part of our problem is the lack of direction or clear plan.

Let's go for a successful club manager. Give Sven a go.

Actually, we didn't like Sven. Let's give an English coach a go who can be pally with the players.

Steve? He was rubbish! And he was rubbish because he was English and nice. Let's go for someone foreign and a bit moody.

Capello was too foreign and too moody. Roy Hodgson seems like a nice bloke and not foreign - let's try him.

Hodgson was useless! No backbone, tactically inept and not foreign enough. Roberto Martinez has some decent ideas, where's his number...?

The FA needs to decide what kind of football we want to play and how we are going to achieve it. They need to appoint coaching staff from top to bottom who buy into that vision.

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

Can't believe people are suggesting Alan Shearer because he delivered a good speech on MOTD. Maybe we should scout in pubs for the next gaffer?

Part of our problem is the lack of direction or clear plan.

Let's go for a successful club manager. Give Sven a go.

Actually, we didn't like Sven. Let's give an English coach a go who can be pally with the players.

Steve? He was rubbish! And he was rubbish because he was English and nice. Let's go for someone foreign and a bit moody.

Capello was too foreign and too moody. Roy Hodgson seems like a nice bloke and not foreign - let's try him.

Hodgson was useless! No backbone, tactically inept and not foreign enough. Roberto Martinez has some decent ideas, where's his number...?

The FA needs to decide what kind of football we want to play and how we are going to achieve it. They need to appoint coaching staff from top to bottom who buy into that vision.

We have to rebuild from the bottom up, it's not just about the team and its style. 

The Germans did it, but I simply don't believe the FA is remotely capable even if they wanted to.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

We have to rebuild from the bottom up, it's not just about the team and its style. 

The Germans did it, but I simply don't believe the FA is remotely capable even if they wanted to.

We have to rebuild from the bottom up - and it's got everything to do with team and style. That's what we're rebuilding for. But yes, you're right, simply finding a new manager with a different style and selection policy doesn't even begin to put the wrongs right.

That's how the Germans did it. They decided how they wanted to play football, and how they were going to achieve it. They made a big drive to get more coaches qualified and now they're reaping the benefits.

To be fair to the FA, this is the absolute slough of despond. Before we've been booted out of tournaments by teams who have gone on to go very far, or narrowly lost on penalties to big nations, and with the exception of 2008 we've always qualified comfortably. There always seems to be a 'next generation' coming through and that's how we've pretended that everything's okay and we're still a powerhouse. The Premier League's global standing doesn't help.

This time, even for the most delusional FA executive, there is nowhere to hide. There is no excuse. There are no silver linings.

16 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Agreed. Unfortunately the rebuilding has to be the rebuilding of the FA, which won't happen because of their own self interest's.

Disappointed he's not putting himself in a position to take questions on his decisions/the FA/Facilities etc. 

The man's been paid £14m for this time at the helm and he's just walking away from us with his middle fingers in the air.

11 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

We need somebody with balls who will set the right culture. There are plenty of worse choices than Big Sam.

Hodgson's number one crime for me was squad and team selection. Right until the end he didn't know his best team. I'd change the squad up to be honest, drop the guys at the centre of the bottling - Hart, Henderson, Sterling. I don't think any of those should play for England again to be honest, they've shown they lack what it takes at international level.

You can sacrifice a little bit of "quality" (which in Woy's eyes was playing for a big club) in exchange for players who are in form and are used to battling for wins. Antonio, Albrighton, Carroll, Defoe, Drinkwater, Townsend, Noble, Shawcross, Dann, Creswell are all players who are used to scrappier games and had strong seasons. All deserved a chance at international level imo.

My next England squad would look something like:

Forster, Butland, Heaton

Walker, Clyne, Bertrand, Dann, Smalling, Stones, Rose

Antonio, Milner, Drinkwater, Dier, Townsend, Noble, Rooney, Alli

Vardy, Carroll, Defoe, Kane, Rashford

How was Henderson at the centre of the bottling? He only played the Slovakia game and created the two best chances in the game. He might not be very good in your opinion, but he wasn't centre of the bottling. I'd agree on Sterling not being picked for a while, but think it'd be harsh to rule him out completely. He's been out of form and playing with no confidence all season, stupid picking him. He showed two years ago that he could play at this level when at the top of his game.

Southgate would be dire. Hodgson Jr, just there to say nice things to his employers.

I'd quite fancy a completely off the wall candidate. Maybe a Dyche or someone similar who would

a) be proud to do the job

b) not suffer any pussying around from the egos

c) has proven he can build a system, recruit into it and be (at least modestly) successful.

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Southgate would be dire. Hodgson Jr, just there to say nice things to his employers.

I'd quite fancy a completely off the wall candidate. Maybe a Dyche or someone similar who would

a) be proud to do the job

b) not suffer any pussying around from the egos

c) has proven he can build a system, recruit into it and be (at least modestly) successful.

Would be horribly to listen him moaning how other teams have better players... and more pricey.

Pearson though...

11 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Posted very similar thoughts in another thread @Posh Ram - the turn around in the rugby union team has been astonishing. And it's been achieved using the same players in the main who deliveed such ignominy in the WC.

Agree that we need our Dylan Hartley character. And we should kill 2 birds with one stone by finding a skipper who is slightly mad and a proper tough bugger in central defence. Think Tony Adams , john terry or even a terry butcher type

That's as far as I've got. Nobody around current setup comes to mind. In premier league wonder if shawcross might be worth a look? There aren't many options!

You've cracked it.  It can only be Jake Buxton, England skipper

Sith Happens
7 hours ago, McLovin said:

Argentinian as the England manager? That will go down well. He signed a new contract at Spurs until 2020 I believe and then he said he wants to go back to Spain

Contracts and 'he said' dont mean a lot if the right offer comes in. The nationality doesnt worry me, its no different to any other.

Archived