Hodgson Resigns - Next England Manager?

Day

England manager  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Get real, he is a joke of a manager who is on the easiest of jobs over here that there has ever been, why would he want to leave? (not that anyone here actually really wants him to stay its just that they all know that there aren't many other replacements for him)

We should be getting Del Bosque, but we are more likely to end up with Del Trotter

I agree that he is unlikely to come but Roy was on £3.5 million a year so Jurgen should be OK for £5 million. Easy part time job. Semi Final in Copa Cabana Cup, losing to Argentina was surely a good effort, MuespachRam.It is the FA people that need changing..

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What actually are the most important attributes for the national manager these days?

No idea Roy was paid 3+million a year. And he was out of work at the time.

He's a good coach butonly has the players 3 to 4 weeks a year.

His tactics have been shown to be wanting but mainly you need a couple of formations and one liners. "We talked about playing with width "

His scouting activities consist of being pampered in a few premier league executive suites.

His wide and varied European network is irrelevant as all his players come from about 6 clubs.

His media stuff looks a chore and doesn't seem to lift performance. 

The players seem cheerful enough at tournaments  (when they're not actually playing) but presumably that's as much down to the fa hiring all the best facilities. 

Seems to me we pay these guys heaps of cash to bear the brunt of our disapproval as they are so limited in what they can effect.

Doesn't matter who the next one is really. But no doubt the fa would want to engender false hope by hiring a "name" so they can keep revenues up.

15 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Big Sam on his way to have a talk with FA. 

And rightfully so in my opinion.

Regardless of whether he gets the job or not, it would be scandalous not to interview him given his achievements.

Having read his autobiography I was surprised to see how far ahead of his time he was.

I know his style of football gets slated but I think he has just always known the limitations of his teams and played to their strengths.

Instead of going for the marquee appointment the FA need to be interviewing these sort of people and seeing what ideas they bring to the table.

There now seems - on SSN - to be a suggestion that bum face Bruce is being linked with the England manager position. 

Dear me.  The only positive characteristic being mentioned is he is English. 

English and passionate. Ok,  2 characteristics. .... (where's that clip of monty pythons Spanish inquisition? ) :lol:

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

And rightfully so in my opinion.

Regardless of whether he gets the job or not, it would be scandalous not to interview him given his achievements.

Having read his autobiography I was surprised to see how far ahead of his time he was.

I know his style of football gets slated but I think he has just always known the limitations of his teams and played to their strengths.

Instead of going for the marquee appointment the FA need to be interviewing these sort of people and seeing what ideas they bring to the table.

Agreed and I've just finished reading the article about big Sam, it was excellent read so I think the FA should give it to him now. 

3 hours ago, David said:

Appointing Sam Allardyce would question my ability to watch England under his tenure.

Awful manager.

He divides opinion but he's a smart manager with a track record of quickly turning his aides into a cohesive unit that plays to its strengths.  He's not the hoof ball merchant he's made out to be, his West Ham side good stuff in patches and a useless manager couldn't have turned Younes Cabul into a good CB or Defoe into an effective No 9.  Plus I don't think he'd think twice about telling under performing players to sling their hook.

Out of those that have been realistically linked with the job he's the logical choice. Much rather him that Arse-Face Bruce...

43 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Taking Bolton from the Championship to 6th in the Prem is a pretty decent achievement.

Taking over clubs in a position where they're evens or better to get relegated and constantly saving them is also pretty impressive.

57 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Taking Bolton from the Championship to 6th in the Prem is a pretty decent achievement.

Agreed. 

26 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Not knocking Sams achievements but he's 61 now and a number of folks were deriding Roy Hodgson as having woefully out of date methods and tactics - and hes only 7 years older.

How old was Alex Ferguson when he last won the Premier League? Scolari, Del Bosque?

Using age and out of date tactics is a really silly thing to accuse any manager of, do they think he just ignored the game evolving around him.

And what even are 'out of date tactics'? Isn't 4-4-2 out of date these days? Someone better tell Nigel Pearson and quick!

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

How old was Alex Ferguson when he last won the Premier League? Scolari, Del Bosque?

Using age and out of date tactics is a really silly thing to accuse any manager of, do they think he just ignored the game evolving around him.

And what even are 'out of date tactics'? Isn't 4-4-2 out of date these days? Someone better tell Nigel Pearson and quick!

I once heard a very eloquent lecture by of all people Graham Taylor, about 10 years ago (just before WC 2006) on why 4-4-2 did not work well in a summer based international tournament - which is actually the topic here, rather than a multinational league. The thesis ran that as a system, it was predicated on moving the ball forward quickly and a consequent feature was that a high proportion of the team would be ahead of the ball. This made it relatively easy for an opponent to pick you off and was not suited to continental summer conditions (although fine for a blood and thunder league match on a brisk February evening).

There is a tendency in all walks of life for people who have had success with a method to stick with it until such time as other people work out how to successfully counter it. At which point the said method would be "out of date" until adapted/evolved. Perhaps such adaptation/evolution is beyond a given manager at which point they retire or are retired more likely.

Out of your examples - premier league is irrelevant to international football, Scolari's achievement was what 2002? Before he came back in 2014 and it all went t**s up, Del Bosque was able to ride the work of Barce and Real coaches initially and even he has come unstuck in the last 2 tournaments - or "failed to evolve".

No doubt if Sam Allardyce is an avid student he will present a compelling case to the FA and will be given the job and we will have the chance to see his evolving international tactics later this year. I'm not holding my breath though.

7 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I once heard a very eloquent lecture by of all people Graham Taylor, about 10 years ago (just before WC 2006) on why 4-4-2 did not work well in a summer based international tournament - which is actually the topic here, rather than a multinational league. The thesis ran that as a system, it was predicated on moving the ball forward quickly and a consequent feature was that a high proportion of the team would be ahead of the ball. This made it relatively easy for an opponent to pick you off and was not suited to continental summer conditions (although fine for a blood and thunder league match on a brisk February evening).

There is a tendency in all walks of life for people who have had success with a method to stick with it until such time as other people work out how to successfully counter it. At which point the said method would be "out of date" until adapted/evolved. Perhaps such adaptation/evolution is beyond a given manager at which point they retire or are retired more likely.

Out of your examples - premier league is irrelevant to international football, Scolari's achievement was what 2002? Before he came back in 2014 and it all went t**s up, Del Bosque was able to ride the work of Barce and Real coaches initially and even he has come unstuck in the last 2 tournaments - or "failed to evolve".

No doubt if Sam Allardyce is an avid student he will present a compelling case to the FA and will be given the job and we will have the chance to see his evolving international tactics later this year. I'm not holding my breath though.

Does Allardyces strengths even lie within the tactical side of the game?

Maybe it is time to hire a manager who can squeeze that extra 10% out of players, rather than someone can tell them how to stand in 2 banks of 4.

At the end of the day we are talking about professional Premier League players, is it really that hard for them to understand different systems?

Archived