Hodgson Resigns - Next England Manager?

Day

England manager  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Southgate is such short odds it looks a done deal. Terrible move as he really lacks past or more importantly recent experience. The FA need to stop this insular approach to groomed managers and make a bold appointment. There are no experienced Englishmen fit for it so either give it to someone young like a Howe and give them ample time to build something or, my preference, go for a top draw foreigner who is a born winner and wants to add international silverware to his collection.

As a squad we're woeful at present and I can't see any great progression whoever takes over until we grow a couple of decent centre halves and a couple of midfielders to fit around Dier and Alli. Rashford and Kane could be something special long term but need to be played consistently to build a relationship.

Someone with better European knowledge can correct me but it feels as if, unlike Spain, france, Italy, Germany and all the other major European football nations, England's top league has a majority of overseas players and managers/coaches. So it's no wonder that there are no obvious replacements for either when vacancies arise.

Allerdyce is the most experienced, Pardew next, Redknapp would do it but perhaps with a younger coach, Dyche might work but doesn't have the reputation or experience yet, Howe similarly. Nigel Pearson might be thinking that he would have been in with a shout had he not taken our job and Brenda likewise at Celtic, but other than those plus Warnock (for comedic value only) there aren't that many choices with experience unless you start going abroad. And then they might not get a work permit

Just now, McLovin said:

Outside bet Glen Hoddle? After the game he sounded really angry at the lack of intensity and movement. Maybe he wants a bite at rebuilding England.

That would be a outside, round the corner, down the road, over the bridge and up the motorway bet.

You remember why he got sacked right? 

1 minute ago, David said:

That would be a outside, round the corner, down the road, over the bridge and up the motorway bet.

You remember why he got sacked right? 

Yes I do know , I edited my previous post above but everyone deserves a second chance. Knowing the public the majority would have forgotten those comments anyway. Not like we are blessed with options. 

How totally uninspiring is that list of candidates. Hodgson needed to go, not to have a clue of his best formation and team after two years is ridiculous. 

So many players didn't have a clue of where that were supposed to be, where they were supposed to be moving to, stationary, spineless and lifeless. A good manager can get a team through a game like today even when playing badly. 

Southgate!

Nevile! 

Pardew! 

May as well add Pearce or Carlton Palmer!! 

PistoldPete2

David Cameron? Someone from the Labour Shadow cabinet? There's plenty of managers looking for jobs right now. 

Its got to be someone who has a plan. Someone who knows exactly how he wants his team to be set up. The tactics should be set in stone then you pick players who suit that system.

Italy is a great example. You know exactly how they are going to play. They know exactly how they are going to play.

Roy did not know his best system and picked players who had hardly played all season.

Iceland had such a strong team ethic and they knew exactly what role each one of them was expected to do. The same team started their last 4 games. It was what Brian Clough used to do, Win Leagues and Cups with the team set up in the same way whoever the opposition happened to be.

The trouble is with England is managers get caught up in the celebrity status of players and end up picking who the national press big up rather than who fits the system.

I can't think of an English manager strong enough mentally to stick to a system and pick players who fit that system.

Sam Allardyce maybe?

35 minutes ago, Rample said:

, my preference, go for a top draw foreigner who is a born winner and wants to add international silverware to his collection.

Didn't you try that with capello...and Sven 

Time to pull the plug on all things England (football). 

We don't have the will, heart nor the resources for it.

We no longer need a National team.

Particularly Post-Brexit.

Mind you the Ladies have heart.

I've always liked the Ladies.

Maybe they know something we men don't?

Archived