OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

49 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

To avoid a large hole in the bank balance, in case we suffer a disappointment, I can recommend an extremely palatable and modestly priced Blanquette de Limoux form Tescos. £8.50 a bottle. Delicious.

Don't be daft. They've got Duvel in at less than £2 a bottle. Nobody's going to waste their time on fizzy weasel wow when there's decent Belgian beer to be had.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

There's another one for you , to soften the blow ?

@MACKWORTHRAM has always been our ITK'er, and @SuperDerbySuperRams was a mid-season transfer. 

But for my money @The 1884 Group is the member most deserving of the praise that comes his way.

To get off his arse, and mobilise his band of brothers to do the same, all in the cause for the betterment of Derby County, and all of our matchday experiences, is truly praiseworthy.

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

@MACKWORTHRAM has always been our ITK'er, and @SuperDerbySuperRams was a mid-season transfer. 

But for my money @The 1884 Group is the member most deserving of the praise that comes his way.

To get off his arse, and mobilise his band of brothers to do the same, all in the cause for the betterment of Derby County, and all of our matchday experiences, is truly praiseworthy.

Cheers @reveldevil can't believe it only cost a tenner for that!

Nobody's opinion is any more valid or important than anyone else's, as long as we respect each other and enjoy the conversation, that's all that matters really!

44 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I can understand that but I just think he has a reputation far beyond what he's actually shown. He's not a guarantee of promotion at all like has been suggested and I'm genuinely interested in what he can bring that others with similar records can't. 

I find the idea that he has increased his reputation based on Leicester winning the league a little 'wishy washy'. He had that squad in the bottom 3 for most of last season.

He did, but he also had them safe when it mattered and in the top 5 of the form table for the last three months of the season. That suggests a manager with an impressive capability for development.

No manager is a guarantee of promotion and I've not seen any Derby fan state that Pearson is. Yet the main immediate aim for our club has to be promotion, so we are all assessing the candidate's likely ability to achieve that. We are in a particular position of having many talented players, but too many underperforming squad fillers, and little FFP allowance left to buy many more. Squad development will rely on the incoming manager's ability to assess the current players, move on the unwanted ones, maximise the selling price of the ones inevitably sold to generate cash and spot bargains. Pearson's CV is unique amongst the likely candidates in that he has done this sort of rebuilding job twice at Leicester and once at Hull. Add that to his two promotions and, IMO, you get a candidate who is the perfect fit for us at present.

Of course that all hinges on his past record, and past records don't come with any guarantees that they can be repeated (stand up Paul Jewell), but it is actually the only indicator that we as fans have. People inside the game might have a clear knowledge of a young coach's magical ability to galvanise players, or a rookie manager's fantastically innovative tactical approach. Interviews are also likely to throw up some interesting snippets for those doing the hiring, like a clear vision for driving the club on, or a man with a personality that no one could work with, but us fans don't get that information. All we can gauge is the past record of the manager and how he has performed in situations that were relatively similar to our own. On that basis, Pearson is clearly the stand out candidate. 

4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

He did, but he also had them safe when it mattered and in the top 5 of the form table for the last three months of te season. That suggests a manager with an impressive capability for development.

No manager is a guarantee of promotion and I've not seen any Derby fan state that Pearson is. Yet the main immediate aim for our club has to be promotion, so we are all assessing the candidate's likely ability to achieve that. We are in a particular position of having many talented players, but too many underperforming squad fillers, and little FFP allowance left to buy many more. Squad development will rely on the incoming manager's ability to assess the current players, move on the unwanted ones, maximise the selling price of the ones inevitably sold to generate cash and spot bargains. Pearson's CV is unique amongst the likely candidates in that he has done this sort of rebuilding job twice at Leicester and once at Hull. Add that to his two promotions and, IMO, you get a candidate who is the perfect fit for us at present.

Of course that all hinges on his past record, and past records don't come with any guarantees that they can be repeated (stand up Paul Jewell), but it is actually the only indicator that we as fans have. People inside the game might have a clear knowledge of a young coach's magical ability to galvanise players, or a rookie manager's fantastically innovative tactical approach. Interviews are also likely to throw up some interesting snippets for those doing the hiring, like a clear vision for driving the club on, or a man with a personality that no one could work with, but us fans don't get that information. All we can gauge is the past record of the manager and how he has performed in situations that were relatively similar to our own. On that basis, Pearson is clearly the stand out candidate. 

This is exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't convinced about Pearson, much of what I've read was he'll get us promoted blah blah blah but I didn't understand what he's done to create himself a reputation that made him such an overwhelmingly good candidate, but a post like this goes a long way to convincing me.

18 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Don't forget the flag man, he shouldn't be forgotten.

Whositsname went everywhere with that flag.

14 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Don't forget the flag man, he shouldn't be forgotten.

Whositsname went everywhere with that flag.

It's not as big as the new flag though, good effort nonetheless! 

Only joking Nick! 

56 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

Us as fans are awesome

14tpa8.jpg

But

14tpet.jpg

It all kick off after... 

Brilliant .. Post of the season. .. I just choked on my espresso.

But you'd better keep it up or we'll send round the boys faster than Chrissy Martin can fall over 

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Am I the only one whoes a bit "meh"

Pearson is alright but hardly either a)a cut above what might be expected or b) a guarantee of promotion - some seem to think he's some sort of superhuman for getting Leicester up after several years of trying.

Don't get me wrong he's not a bad choice and I'll support him but I'm hardly off to fap about it either. Plus, I just don't like the guy.

I should say, the "after several years of trying" our squad was filled full of expense utter garbage. He had to come in and do an almost clean sweep of the squad from top to bottom. Most of the money we spent was under the Sven duds and the high costs we had under Pearson was in part due to still paying players no longer even here.

He had to get rid of the likes of Bamba, Mills, Danns, Beckford, Pantsil, Vassell, Peltier, Abe, St Ledger... the list goes on and on of utter rubbish. Swapping them for the likes of Drinkwater, Morgan, Knockaert, Mahrez, Vardy, James. He changed the the whole squad for about £7m net.

The first 6 months back was playing with Svens rubbish. The second season (when we lost to Watford by THAT penno), he'd bought a lot of young players. I think he realised his mistake in not getting in a few older heads to help out. That summer we just bought a few free transfer old players like Phillips, Hammond, Wasileski to help out the young team... and we romped it.

That's why I said at the start, give him time. You have to, because he's a great team builder. He has his faults, tactics aren't his strong point. He can be loyal to certain players almost too much sometimes, causing him to be slow to fix issues. But... he always got it right in the end.

Would I hire him without Steve Walsh scouting for him, I'd have to speak to him and see what his plan was in terms of scouting. It's a risk... but he might be able to set up the scouting department and how they worked in a similar fashion to how he did here.

8 minutes ago, babylon said:

I should say, the "after several years of trying" our squad was filled full of expense utter garbage. He had to come in and do an almost clean sweep of the squad from top to bottom. Most of the money we spent was under the Sven duds and the high costs we had under Pearson was in part due to still paying players no longer even here.

He had to get rid of the likes of Bamba, Mills, Danns, Beckford, Pantsil, Vassell, Peltier, Abe, St Ledger... the list goes on and on of utter rubbish. Swapping them for the likes of Drinkwater, Morgan, Knockaert, Mahrez, Vardy, James. He changed the the whole squad for about £7m net.

The first 6 months back was playing with Svens rubbish. The second season (when we lost to Watford by THAT penno), he'd bought a lot of young players. I think he realised his mistake in not getting in a few older heads to help out. That summer we just bought a few free transfer old players like Phillips, Hammond, Wasileski to help out the young team... and we romped it.

That's why I said at the start, give him time. You have to, because he's a great team builder. He has his faults, tactics aren't his strong point. He can be loyal to certain players almost too much sometimes, causing him to be slow to fix issues. But... he always got it right in the end.

Would I hire him without Steve Walsh scouting for him, I'd have to speak to him and see what his plan was in terms of scouting. It's a risk... but he might be able to set up the scouting department and how they worked in a similar fashion to how he did here.

We give everyone time mate.

Darren wassall got 16 games!

If we do appoint nigel and aren't 20 points clear by Christmas come back in time for the inevitable New Years clearance sale ;)

Fair point about scouting. Recruitment here has been dogs hit for quite a while; somewhere between Nig leaving and the purse strings being loosened under MM, we've just stopped getting value.

1 hour ago, Lord_Ram said:

seen it mentioned a few times, but were the backroom staff in place before pearson arrived or did he bring them in? if he brought them in then there should be no reason he couldnt build another great backroom

He brought them in having worked with them previously. Steve Walsh is THE key, we set up a fantastic scouting facility that did things a little differently but he has the eye to spot the diamond. Can the same sort of scouting process we use find those players without Walsh's eye... who knows. Perhaps Walsh still has a little black book of players for the championship that he's willing to give Pearson. Perhaps the scouts we have around Europe can keep an eye out for Pearson as well... who knows what's possible.

If you would like to read up about our scouting process, google the scouting articles written by Rob Mckenzie for Sky. He worked under Walsh and was head of technical scouting before leaving for spurs a year and a half ago. That's the sort of process he will put in place, we went heavy on stats before many others did. I'm sure you'll find it interesting if you're thinking of getting Pearson.

Here are a few of them

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11662/9453688/the-science-of-scouting-abroad

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11662/9417963/the-science-of-scouting-defenders

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11662/9484649/the-science-of-scouting-changes

They are listed under science of scouting, I think there were 6 or 7 of them

Archived