Derby County v Bolton Wanderers

eddie

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just revived happy memories watching the highlights .. The other thing that really hits home watching again is the willingness to shoot on site. Not desperate blasts, simply oportunities created. Add to this enough calmness to try and pass it in as well and we look ever more dangerous when we have the ball in a verity of situations. When it's like this the oposition fear you and make mistakes. It's a virtuous circle. 

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

If possible, an understatement G-Ram. I could not agree more. The players look worth their transfer fees again. Mystified how this change has been wrought but if it continues then we have a very good chance of the Premiership next year.

Its amazing in the space of a week ive gone from doom and gloom and wanting the season to end to looking forward to the next game and feeling really optimistic again  

1 hour ago, jono said:

Just revived happy memories watching the highlights .. The other thing that really hits home watching again is the willingness to shoot on site. Not desperate blasts, simply oportunities created. Add to this enough calmness to try and pass it in as well and we look ever more dangerous when we have the ball in a verity of situations. When it's like this the oposition fear you and make mistakes. It's a virtuous circle. 

Excellent post jono. This is what I would like to have posted, but you put it better than I could have done.:D

Superb today, to a man. I felt Thorne, Butterfield and Russell were the best of a good bunch. Involved in everything, all three were winning tackles, headers, great passing and involved in all the goals. Bryson did his usual ratting, Martin won his battles, Ince hit and miss but unplayable for his full back and the defence weren't really troubled barring the penno. 

Lovely to see Will back on the field and will be much needed if BJ and Jeff aren't back any time soon. 

Well done to them all and to Wassall. It's the sort of football we all crave right now. Let's take this into the away games eh? 

It was a good result today but at the end of the day Bolton were extremely poor. People ringing in to RD and proclaiming how great it was, if you didnt know who we had just played and just tuned in you would of thought we had thrashed Barcelona.

We took our chances well on Tuesday night and beat a team that really didnt get going and then have beaten a terrible team that even their own fans who have travelled are slating them for lack of desire. Lets leave being giddy to the Scousers. If we can get a good result in our next two games then we can start to get excited and believe we have turned a corner.

Anyway, what was it with Ince today? I got the impression he felt that Bolton were miles beneath him and he wanted to be the cocky kid on the playground who is miles better than any other kid. Felt like he was showboating a bit when putting the ball onto his left and having a proper shot would of been a better idea.

Carson looked absolutely gutted at the penalty and conceding, was muttering and gesticulating to himself afterwards when the ball was down the other end of the pitch.

Ince Thorne Bryson and Russell were the best players out there today and Shackell had one of his best games too.

some individual things: 

martins pass through to Ince was fantastic. Inces inability to score there and another time on gloriously easy chances was unbelievable - if he is a premier league player in waiting he needs to be finishing those. It's fine to get clever in front of goal IF you bury it! 

Some players are really coming into big time form: shacks, Bryson Thorne Russell Ince Christie and Martin much better. Butterfield was quiet but got better in the late part of the game.  If Thorne stays fit, we will be fighting off offers for him all off season and into next. He's the real deal. 

9 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Hell of a difference to this time last year when we were on a massive downward spiral...feels like the complete opposite this year as we return to our 13/14 style of play at last...well done wassell,good work to instill confidence back into the lads

Steady on fella. You'll get all sorts of grief suggesting DW has done something right. Expect the full fury of the hand-wringing wrist-slashers anytime now :0 

13 minutes ago, toddy said:

Wassall got something right ?

Played 11 - Won  6, Draw 1, Lost   4

19 points from 33

Hmmmmmm

5 points better than Clement's last 11 league games which was 14 points out of 33 - and that includes the 3 successive wins before the wheels overtook the bus. The last 8 games of turgid unwatchable dross under Paul Clement saw Derby achieve just 5 points.

Hmmmmmm.

Really enjoyable performance yesterday and great to see the players enjoying themselves too at last 

The point has been raised as to what has changed suddenly over the last week ( it's hard to believe it's only a week since the huge anticlimax of the Cardiff game) , so here are some of my theories :

- after we went two up against hull the sudden uplift in confidence in the players was almost astonishing to witness. Bradley and Chrissy in particular suddenly looked world beaters again. I think the players realised that they really were better than one of the other automatic promotion challengers and thus confidence levels consequently soared

- Bryson has become match fit now and seems finally to be back to his best, if not better. Having a player like that around, doing it for the full 90 minutes , must really galvanise the rest of the team. And I may be mistaken but it looks to me that he has also bulked up a fair bit, so is now far harder to dispossess or knock off the ball, and is tougher in the tackle

- Wassell seems to have learnt from his mistakes. Thankfully the horrendous and utterly appalling substitutions and tactical blunders that he was making every single game at the start of his tenure seem to have become a thing of the past. Maybe it's Harry's influence but either way, we seem to have moved on from blasting a machine gun at our feet match after match. And presumably the players have got back some confidence that they are not going to have to keep dealing with idiotic decisions being continually made from the sidelines

- tactically we are playing more directly and getting the ball forward quicker. We are finally shaking  off the hangover from clement and his awful Real Madrid tactics. Instead of giving the ball to Shackell (our worst distributor) as often as possible and expecting him to start the moves along the ground from the back, we are getting it forward and down the channels much more effectively. And Shackell himself is putting in some decent diagonal long balls. There's still plenty of work to do in this area but at least we are going in the right direction. I still find it amazing that Christie will  not, under any circumstance, bring himself to take a throw in in the direction of the opponents goal rather than our own. And that Jacob still feels there is some value in continually dropping into George's space doing meaningless and nonsensical two yard give and return passes. And one wonders why we feel it necessary to defend set pieces with every one of our eleven players in our own box even when leading against the worst team in the league. But I guess you can't have everything 

- we've finally had our share of good luck. One could argue that the hull result was set up by two shocking defending errors by them, the second of which put the game beyond them with a long time still to play. And to have that game followed up by another home game only a few days later against a team effectively already down was very nice timing.

- so all of the above have become a virtuous circle which, importantly, have settled the nerves of the crowd who are now enjoying being there again instead of fearing the next calamity about to happen. And this surely transmits itself back to the players who can begin to relax a bit and play with less fear .

just my rambling theories. 

But I can't finish off on yesterday's match without mentioning one thing that I have never witnessed before at pride park : the collective scream of excitement and anticipation that went up from around the ground  in the last minute when it looked like Will was going to mark his return with a goal, when being played in during that final breakaway. Reminded me of the good old days of the Osmonds and Bay City Rollers. 

The win was to be expected, but to keep up the performance makes me think the team have finally turned that corner. 

And Hughes...well...I've never seen a player come back from a long term injury like that and open up a team defence so easily, if that's not a fully fit Hughes then I fear for the opposition when he really gets going 

7 hours ago, Ninos said:

martins pass through to Ince was fantastic. 

And despite the fact that voices around me keep saying Martin doesn't like Ince and thinks he's selfish, they know each other's game and they did celebrate together. There is no problem there other than keen sportsmen wanting to score. (Even though Cris can look mardy with consummate ease :lol: )

i am still scratching my head in wonder at how the players we have seen in the last 2 games can be the same men as the lacklustre dullards we saw half a dozen matches ago. What has changed ? Is it just a fully fit Bryson ? .. Thorne has woken up from a long slumber, Butterfield / Johnson are playing like the players we thought we'd bought and Russell is making quick decisions that come off. 

8 hours ago, Ninos said:

Ince Thorne Bryson and Russell were the best players out there today and Shackell had one of his best games too.

some individual things: 

martins pass through to Ince was fantastic. Inces inability to score there and another time on gloriously easy chances was unbelievable - if he is a premier league player in waiting he needs to be finishing those. It's fine to get clever in front of goal IF you bury it! 

Some players are really coming into big time form: shacks, Bryson Thorne Russell Ince Christie and Martin much better. Butterfield was quiet but got better in the late part of the game.  If Thorne stays fit, we will be fighting off offers for him all off season and into next. He's the real deal. 

Absolutely, Ninos

8 hours ago, RicME85 said:

It was a good result today but at the end of the day Bolton were extremely poor. People ringing in to RD and proclaiming how great it was, if you didnt know who we had just played and just tuned in you would of thought we had thrashed Barcelona.

We took our chances well on Tuesday night and beat a team that really didnt get going and then have beaten a terrible team that even their own fans who have travelled are slating them for lack of desire. Lets leave being giddy to the Scousers. If we can get a good result in our next two games then we can start to get excited and believe we have turned a corner.

Anyway, what was it with Ince today? I got the impression he felt that Bolton were miles beneath him and he wanted to be the cocky kid on the playground who is miles better than any other kid. Felt like he was showboating a bit when putting the ball onto his left and having a proper shot would of been a better idea.

Carson looked absolutely gutted at the penalty and conceding, was muttering and gesticulating to himself afterwards when the ball was down the other end of the pitch.

Yeah I hate this new found confidence Ince has. Hope he goes back to the sulky player we know he can be and stops trying exciting things asap.

And I remember losing to MK Dons a few weeks ago. It's not quite just as simple as turning up and winning, if we can't be at least a little bit excited after the last few months then there's no point following football at all is there?

Good to hear the Johnny Russell "Heartbeat" song sang so loudly. I like the "Marcus Olsson baby" one as well. A half decent Here's to you Jacon Butterfield was ok but the "If Hughsey scores, were on the pitch" made me chuckle - I think they would have done anorl!

Archived