Derby County v Bolton Wanderers

eddie

Even though it didn't work, enjoyed the little set piece routine from Russell yesterday, shame Martin didn't connect properly...

Had all the hallmarks of old Tottenham about it... 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, toddy said:

Wassall got something right ?

Played 11 - Won  6, Draw 1, Lost   4

19 points from 33

Hmmmmmm

Nearly at the much fabled 2 points per game... 

At least there's one consistent thing going ( you should have put this in your consistency thread that you started ) 

Your obvious dislike for anyone but someone "experienced" in the job, still waiting for you to define that from another thread... :D

8 hours ago, Ninos said:

Ince Thorne Bryson and Russell were the best players out there today and Shackell had one of his best games too.

some individual things: 

martins pass through to Ince was fantastic. Inces inability to score there and another time on gloriously easy chances was unbelievable - if he is a premier league player in waiting he needs to be finishing those. It's fine to get clever in front of goal IF you bury it! 

Some players are really coming into big time form: shacks, Bryson Thorne Russell Ince Christie and Martin much better. Butterfield was quiet but got better in the late part of the game.  If Thorne stays fit, we will be fighting off offers for him all off season and into next. He's the real deal. 

The Martin pass that Butterfield dummied like Messi, you mean? Which Ince fudged. No idea why he didn't shoot first time. But that's Ince for you. Frustrating and exciting in equal measure. 

Don't agree that Butterfield was quiet either. He saw less of the ball than usual, as did Bryson. But that's a good thing. Because you want Thorne dictating ideally. Cast your mind back to Wolves away for example, where you've got George, JB, Jeff and BJ all wanting the ball deep. Painful to watch. Yesterday Bryson and Butters were ratting, constantly moving, finding/creating space for others, linking well with Martin. Butters was involved in every goal barring JR's wonder hit. His strength in the build up to Ince's goal was great to see. Nice to see him getting beyond Martin at times too, only occasionally did Bryson and JB come deep, which allowed Thorne to dictate from that anchor role. I thought the midfield worked perfectly yesterday. Thorne is key though. We have to keep him fit. Rolls Royce of a footballer. But unfit? He's like a Skoda Octavia,

Ince was the maverick, the unknown quantity. He got a lot wrong and some things right. But he frightens defenders. And JR had his best game in a long time. Man of the match display. So you end up looking at the side yesterday and wondering why we've struggled like mad for much of this season. Even in Clement's winning run, the performances weren't thrilling were they? It was effective but dour to watch. If we could play like Wassall's side at home and Clement's away, we'd be laughing. 

3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Nearly at the much fabled 2 points per game... 

At least there's one consistent thing going ( you should have put this in your consistency thread that you started ) 

Your obvious dislike for anyone but someone "experienced" in the job, still waiting for you to define that from another thread... :D

Yes nearly, - especially as we have only played two teams who were in the top 10 in Wassall's run.

Not quite good enough, nearly but not quite!

What thread?

37 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Anyone else notice how gutted all the players were to lose the clean sheet record? After the way the past few months have been, it's good to see they do really give a ****.

I think they were gutted that the ref gave such a soft penalty, bearing in mind the stuff he let go. 

5 hours ago, sage said:

I think they were gutted that the ref gave such a soft penalty, bearing in mind the stuff he let go. 

It was a penalty though. Thorne's reaction told you that. No real malice or intent, but he did foul the player in a congested area. Keogh wasn't pleased though. I liked that. As others say, it shows they care.

My thoughts on yesterday.

Bolton were poor, but poor teams need beating comprehensively and they were.

Confident display, smiles on the players, management and supporters faces don't half make a difference to me half time fag.

Bryson was excellent, work rate, movement, ball retention, link up play, first class, my man of the match.

Hughes, Johnson, Hendrick and Butterfield are fighting for one place.

And finally..............................is there anyone who still thinks that Hanson is a better right back than Christie? :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, eddie said:

5 points better than Clement's last 11 league games which was 14 points out of 33 - and that includes the 3 successive wins before the wheels overtook the bus. The last 8 games of turgid unwatchable dross under Paul Clement saw Derby achieve just 5 points.

Hmmmmmm.

Yep, but in the 11 games Wassall has been in charge we have only played 2 teams that were in the top 10. Hull and Cardiff and both performances were miles apart.

Yes, its only Bolton. Yes, Hull are woefully out of form.

But you can only beat what's in front of you. Are people frightened of giving Derby credit, even when its due? Or is Wassall so unlikeable that people can't bear to think that he can do good?

Those two performances were as close to the 13/14 team in their pomp as we might well see. Positive, attacking, fast, confident football. Getting the ball to feet, decent service to Martin, players around Martin. There's only one shame - is that we haven't found this earlier.

I will be miffed, however, if we can't keep this going. I don't mean going to Charlton and Brizzle thinking that we'll blow them away - look at what the latter did to the Wendies on Saturday - but keep the same performance levels. Same team will help that, keep it simple, just tell them to do the same again, and keep doing it.

14 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Yes, its only Bolton. Yes, Hull are woefully out of form.

But you can only beat what's in front of you. Are people frightened of giving Derby credit, even when its due? Or is Wassall so unlikeable that people can't bear to think that he can do good?

Those two performances were as close to the 13/14 team in their pomp as we might well see. Positive, attacking, fast, confident football. Getting the ball to feet, decent service to Martin, players around Martin. There's only one shame - is that we haven't found this earlier.

I will be miffed, however, if we can't keep this going. I don't mean going to Charlton and Brizzle thinking that we'll blow them away - look at what the latter did to the Wendies on Saturday - but keep the same performance levels. Same team will help that, keep it simple, just tell them to do the same again, and keep doing it.

Based on evidence, yes. Certain people have gone out of their way to stay out of discussions until something comes up that allows them to put a negative spin on it.

I've been noticing it :p 

Having just watched the full 90, thought it was a very good performance. Defense was a little sloppy, I'd imagine due to lack of concentration with how little they had to do, but did all they needed to bar the penalty. We were given all the time in the world to play, and the attack closed down Bolton brilliantly.

Would have been nice to be a bit more clinical, to breed more confidence come the games where we don't get 25 chances, but generally great.

Also word for Hughes (who has been much talked about) who looked good up until the point he mis-controlled a great chance, and a word for Weimann who hasn't really been talked about but looked really good after he came on. I know it's not really that difficult an opponent for him but he looked up for it and created some good opportunities, including aforementioned one for Hughes.

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Also word for Hughes (who has been much talked about) who looked good up until the point he mis-controlled a great chance, and a word for Weimann who hasn't really been talked about but looked really good after he came on. I know it's not really that difficult an opponent for him but he looked up for it and created some good opportunities, including aforementioned one for Hughes.

Considering how little time both players have had on a pitch, they looked remarkably sharp.

2 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Considering how little time both players have had on a pitch, they looked remarkably sharp.

I think the confidence in the team is making it a far easier place for Weimann to get on and play his game. All too often he was brought on when our midfield was being stifled, and then lambasted for not being able to do anything.

Hughes looks healthy, the profits (touch wood) of not rushing him back. Plus how could he lack confidence after that welcome. Fans should make that noise when anyone comes on imo - just to give them a boost :lol:

14 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I think the confidence in the team is making it a far easier place for Weimann to get on and play his game. All too often he was brought on when our midfield was being stifled, and then lambasted for not being able to do anything.

Hughes looks healthy, the profits (touch wood) of not rushing him back. Plus how could he lack confidence after that welcome. Fans should make that noise when anyone comes on imo - just to give them a boost :lol:

I just wish that Wassall would make some of his substitutions earlier. What is the point in brining on Weimann in the last 3 mins of a game? Give Ince or Russell a little break and give Weimann some game time.

I wonder if ever since the Rotherham game he has began to be more cautious in his substitutions. 

19 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

I just wish that Wassall would make some of his substitutions earlier. What is the point in brining on Weimann in the last 3 mins of a game? Give Ince or Russell a little break and give Weimann some game time.

I wonder if ever since the Rotherham game he has began to be more cautious in his substitutions. 

That was my only complaint over the game, and it is a pretty minor one in the grand scheme of things.

Must be because of the Rotherham game, seemed slow at getting subs on against Cardiff as well. Just a bit of a waste of a talented bench.

Archived