Poll of the Day: Steve McClaren to the end of the season?

Carl Sagan

Return of the Mac  

219 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted no only because I am still not convinced that he didnt shaft us over when he left..only a gut feel really as like a lot of things the truth might be completely different but I will ere on the side of never again..

28 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I can't believe 44 people so far have voted for McClown to come in until the end of the season after melt downs with us and now Newcastle - is Wassall really that bad actually don't answer that

did he have a melt down with us? Or did the injuries and the toxic atmosphere in the ground, abuse to Keogh, Forsyth, and Christie, along with injuries to Thorne and Martin, ruin the team performances? Similarly, Newcastle were relegation fodder last season, only avoiding relegation on the last day. So it's not like they've missed out on a CL place!

5 minutes ago, twinkletoes said:

martin o,neil great shout

Nobody mentioned O'Neill. But his last club job was EXACTLY same as McClaren's!

9 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

did he have a melt down with us? Or did the injuries and the toxic atmosphere in the ground, abuse to Keogh, Forsyth, and Christie, along with injuries to Thorne and Martin, ruin the team performances? Similarly, Newcastle were relegation fodder last season, only avoiding relegation on the last day. So it's not like they've missed out on a CL place!

Nobody mentioned O'Neill. But his last club job was EXACTLY same as McClaren's!

You've mentioned injuries twice in the same paragraph,  you can mention it three times but still doesn't make it a valid excuse for the spectacular failure under McClown at the end of last season

I'd like McClaren back, definitely. I'm not saying he's the only option, but this season has only gone on to make me miss the football we played even more. 

I have absolutely no doubts that he won't be contacted, though. I think that ship has sailed. 

6 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

You've mentioned injuries twice in the same paragraph,  you can mention it three times but still doesn't make it a valid excuse for the spectacular failure under McClown at the end of last season

Do you think Chelsea would've won the league last season if Matic, Ramires, Mikel, Cahill, Zouma, Costa and Remy all got injured? Because that was the equivalent to what happened to us last season and I think injuries are a perfectly good excuse. 

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I've found it very hard to decide, but have gone for a temporary "until the end of the season" when we could reevaluate.

Normally if someone's made redundant and then is re-employed within a year, they pay back their redundancy. That could be good for FFP, though somehow I can't see that happening with us!

He wasn't made redundant he was sacked.

4 hours ago, eddie said:

He didn't, apart from a wry laugh. I must confess that there was a little 'devilment' in my reply, and I didn't expect any response from Mel.

I hope your judgement of " wry" is sound Edward. 

I have to say that I find this very weird... Mel invites a bunch of you to breakfast, asks you who you think should be manager, doesn't answer when you reply. 

Others have said that they got a distinct impress that MM doesn't have the type of humility to bring Steve McLaren back, even ( as we are debating ) if he was the right man. I dunno... Maybe, maybe not. 

I was very disappointed by the whole McLaren / Newcastle thing. It stank. And I do think it had a massive bearing on how our season petered out last year. But you know..he still feels like SUCH a good fit for Derby. It just does. Fans loved it when we were playing attractive football, battering Forest 5-0.. It was happy times. 

16 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Do you think Chelsea would've won the league last season if Matic, Ramires, Mikel, Cahill, Zouma, Costa and Remy all got injured? Because that was the equivalent to what happened to us last season and I think injuries are a perfectly good excuse. 

If we had Matic, Ramires, Cahill etc in our side last season and they got injured then yes I would say that was a perfectly good excuse.  But we didn't did we. 

1 minute ago, Inglorius said:

If we had Matic, Ramires, Cahill etc in our side last season and they got injured then yes I would say that was a perfectly good excuse.  But we didn't did we. 

I'm confused. Do you not understand what an analogy is or are you claiming that Buxton, Eustace, Mascarell, and Martin weren't important players for us last season?

Just now, Anon said:

I'm confused. Do you not understand what an analogy is or are you claiming that Buxton, Eustace, Mascarell, and Martin weren't important players for us last season?

I understand what an analogy is, it's not a valid one to make that comparison

3 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I understand what an analogy is, it's not a valid one to make that comparison

Yeah it is? We were a top club in the league in the 2014/15 season and lost so many key players and Chelsea who were a top side in the prem that season lost their key players they probably wouldn't have won it. 

I think it's a fair comparison. 

Thorne, Eustace and Mascarell out.

Martin and for a while, Bent out.

Buxton out, after being part of a record breaking/equalling clean sheet side.

Grant, playing on despite a limiting injury, because our cover was Kelle Roos.

In other words, the entire spine of the side all injured at the same time, often impacting not only our 1st choice in a position , but even our 3rd pick!

2 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

It is because you say so ok give me a compelling argument that Jake Buxton is the Gary Cahill of the Championship then or John Eustace is the Nemanja Matic of the same league

Well, the team was top of the league with those players, then when the players were out, the team suffered. As it happens, I don't buy the Eustace hype, I thought Mascarell did fine, and preferred is all-round game, but he got injured too.

I don't need to give a compelling argument cos it's subjective, besides, I think the behaviour of fans was more of an effect on things than injuries such was the impact it had on the nerves and confidence of the players.

Archived