Poll of the Day: Steve McClaren to the end of the season?

Carl Sagan

Return of the Mac  

219 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Taking into consideration what we have had to suffer since Schteve left and the style of play we enjoyed (prior to his head getting turned by The Toon) I had to vote Permanently. 

Didnt think I ever would after the way last season ended, time to forgive and forget about the past and let's go again. 

There may be many on here who disagree strongly with this but it's my personal opinion, be it right or wrong. 

I'm in agreement and voted the same way, I feel a bit dirty about it but not enough to not want it to happen.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Mel has decided to follow the Leicester model to the letter?

Sack Manager, Manager goes to tin pot club in the North East, leaves there under a cloud and goes back to original club to enjoy increased success?

At least we've got an excuse if we're bottom of the Prem at Xmas!

3 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

59% want him back thus far! You know what to do, Mel...

Voted NEVER again.

So 59% will take the Premier League at ANY cost then? Desperate or what?!

If we did take him back, it would show that this Club & its owner have no dignity or self respect left!   #Unbelievable!

OK Mel - bend over and brace yourself! Its for the good of the Club and we're all behind you!!

Well, some of them are anyway.

Never again.  I've got no problem with him wanting to go to a bigger club, but he should've just denied it to anybody who asked him (fans, reporters, players, board members), except for his agent who he should've told to call Fat Cnut Ashley and say "Give him til the end of the season".  Nobody would've been the wiser and everyone could've just carried on without the constant "Newcastle rumours" hacking everyone off and causing unrest.

All I wanted from him was 100% til the end of last season but I think we all know we didn't get that...  ****** to him...

9 minutes ago, Lankey Bill said:

Voted NEVER again.

If we did take him back, it would show that this Club & its owner have no dignity or self respect left!   #Unbelievable!

OK Mel - bend over and brace yourself! Its for the good of the Club and we're all behind you!!

Yep. At any cost

At any cost?

Mel's made it clear that he wants us to go up as the result of playing attractive attacking football. The one man in the past decade who's had us looking anything like that is Steve McClaren. 

Any cost....there's some fcukwittery on these boards at times. :huh:

I've found it very hard to decide, but have gone for a temporary "until the end of the season" when we could reevaluate.

Normally if someone's made redundant and then is re-employed within a year, they pay back their redundancy. That could be good for FFP, though somehow I can't see that happening with us!

56 minutes ago, Lankey Bill said:

Voted NEVER again.

Does that make you better than 59% of your fellow Rams fans, or just in the wrong with the other 41%?

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Your contribution is valued.

I'd say the only sensible option of the three provided is employ until the end of the season as then we could review. I would have Steve-o back, but as I've mentioned in another thread, fear he lost the dressing room last season and most of them players are still at the club. Would he be able to get them back on board again? Big ask but if he could I'd be in full support of his return permanently.

If the team accepts him back then so do I. We've nothing to lose, this season is as good as over anyway in terms of promotion. So let's get him in short term, the decision to bring him back full time would be clear through the performances in the last few games.   

I have gone with Steve until the end of the season. Give him a naff contract, tell him he has until the end of the season to see if he can get these players a) to look interested and b) to start playing some nice football again. 

If we were to see some sort of improvement over the last ten games in terms of style and passion, maybe then consider something more permanent. I think with a fit Martin and Thorne, and with a lot more stable back line he could do well with this current squad. 

And I would not be taking him back to get us promoted no matter what, I just want us to play with more freedom, style and interest. If he couldn't manage to do that then its goodbye again and it wouldn't have been a waste of time because this season isn't looking like going anywhere at this time.

Will it happen? No not at all, can't see either parties being interested.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I voted 'never again' - mainly because at the moment, everything I want turns to something between @mcsilks and @top 6 finish (read into that what you will).

When Mel asked me who I thought should be manager, I said "Steve McClaren" - because I thought that the sacking shouldn't have happened at the time, the appointment of Paul Clement should not have been made and then he should not have been replaced. A long chain of events to undo. At the time, I wanted to turn the clock back 12 months, and now I want to turn it back 13.

However, conversely, Darren Wassall gets my 100% support at the moment and will do until the day his successor is appointed, because he is the current man in the hot-seat, and I have never called for the head of a manager in my life (not Docherty, not Gregory, not Todd, not Billy Third-person - acually that's not QUITE true because I felt that Paul Jewell should have been removed from the firing-line the moment the movie story broke, but I kept that to myself), and I won't start now.

Where is Mcsilks these days? Haven't read anything from him for ages..I don't get my comparison to him,I should feel flattered,he is a lot better poster than me.I don't always agree with him,but I respect his views,as I do yours obviously.I don't always respect my views,but on this issue I agree with you that DW should stay to the end of the season,because he was asked to,same as Clement.

1 minute ago, I Am Sheep said:

I honestly can't understand why anyone would want him back. It just beggars belief and leaves me genuinely shocked and shaking my head.

Why not? Best football since Burley, most successful season since Billy and only failed due to a huge injury crisis. 

11 minutes ago, I Am Sheep said:

I honestly can't understand why anyone would want him back. It just beggars belief and leaves me genuinely shocked and shaking my head.

I can see why you think this. But I am guessing, although not pretending to speak for, those that would welcome him back just enjoyed that feeling of what was happening under McClaren. I personally wanted to see what he'd have done transfer wise after being hamstrung with squad size and quality at the end of last season.

As @Casio says, there is a chance that the players wouldn't respect him, but I also think they played with a smile on their face under him and have lacked that for a long while and may now realise what they've got.

I think the players last season were more shell-shocked by the venomous vocals of the fans than he lost the dressing room.

Archived