Poll of the Day: Steve McClaren to the end of the season?

Carl Sagan

Return of the Mac  

219 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

McLaren is flawed ,ok when the going is good but not great at turning things round when it isn't. He is also in need of a DOF or needs to work as a number two. I often thought Simmo was the one with balls to go for it anyway as the saying goes you should never go back.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Not sure Mel is the type to change his mind. Not sure he has that level of humility.

Careful!

Or you'll get a fist full of beans in your ear.

2 minutes ago, Gritters said:

It's a bit difficult because based upon the 13/14 season it's a hard act to follow. Based on our performances now I think Nigel Clough could easily do a good job.

he's had his chance, he performed about as well as Phil Brown did, in relative terms. His ceiling level is far too low, and I wouldn't be surprised if he helps Burton blow it. So NO, not positive and attacking enough. Not clever enough tactically with his Plan A.

Just now, RamNut said:

Careful!

Or you'll get a fist full of beans in your ear.

you know something, he had big fists, and his shoulders (traps) looked quite impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a body like Ric Flair underneath that suit. I wouldn't want a right hook (beans or not) from him!

But you know these successful business men, they have confidence in their own decisions, and cannot show weakness.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

he's had his chance, he performed about as well as Phil Brown did, in relative terms. His ceiling level is far too low, and I wouldn't be surprised if he helps Burton blow it. So NO, not positive and attacking enough. Not clever enough tactically with his Plan A.

I was only joking. Although I he did put together the 13/14 season team. I think Pearson would be my choice.

5 hours ago, eddie said:

I felt that Paul Jewell should have been removed from the firing-line the moment the movie story broke, but I kept that to myself), and I won't start now.

Thats about the only thing i liked about paul jewell.

Poor bugger. Everything was going tiits up for him - literally.

and that quizzical look at the camera - lol- you could tell he wasn't sure how to work it. Probably can't work his own video.

you have to laugh sometimes at the folly of it. 

On topic.

there wasn't an option i could select.

schteve coming back to work with mel 8 or 9 months after being sacked, after having committed to staying with us? Thats never going to happen. This isn't the right time. And maybe not the right group of players. 

But that doesn't mean he can't ever come back. It no longer bothers me at all that schteve fancied newcastle. We are ll human and have ambitions that we hang on to. And whats happened here makes it even more forgivable. 

Nope never again, he was good for a while but then had his head turned by that lot... who quite frankly have shafted us and mcclaren, we were going so well last season when he had his head turned, and imo wouldn't have collapsed like we did if they hadn't of come calling, we'd have at least plodded along like this season and would have at least made the top 4. 

they never wanted him in the first place either, they'd already sacked him the moment the link was made, their fans hounded him from day 1.. so good luck with that bunch of deluded lot Rafa, the same deluded mentality as liverpool but without a trophy in 200 years.. but they get 52,000 you know so their a huge club.

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I'd love to think that, but the vibe I got from breakfast with Mel was that he thought McClaren's behaviour was very bad when the Newcastle rumours surfaced.

Not sure Mel is the type to change his mind. Not sure he has that level of humility.

From what I've heard, you're right about his demeanour at the breakfast....although his eggs were too runny and the fool chef cooked the bacon too crisply...or so I heard.

But am I the only person who thought he sounded regretful - very regretful - when talking about McClaren and how they all bore responsibility for allowing it to spiral out of control? Regretful bordering on an admission that he mucked up, I thought at the time.

Don't misunderstand me: I can't see Mac coming back while Mel, Sam and a sizeable chunk of the South Stand are still at the club; he well knows the bond of trust is mutually broken. We shouldn't forget how petty the club was about paying him out...

Having said that: yes! Please!

8 minutes ago, RamDon said:

From what I've heard, you're right about his demeanour at the breakfast....although his eggs were too runny and the fool chef cooked the bacon too crisply...or so I heard.

But am I the only person who thought he sounded regretful - very regretful - when talking about McClaren and how they all bore responsibility for allowing it to spiral out of control? Regretful bordering on an admission that he mucked up, I thought at the time.

Don't misunderstand me: I can't see Mac coming back while Mel, Sam and a sizeable chunk of the South Stand are still at the club; he well knows the bond of trust is mutually broken. We shouldn't forget how petty the club was about paying him out...

Having said that: yes! Please!

EX chef.

26 minutes ago, RamDon said:

THERE WAS NO BACON!!!!!

Sob.

Stop turning the knife.

11 minutes ago, eddie said:

THERE WAS NO BACON!!!!!

Sob.

Stop turning the knife.

Sorry! I am Aussie, we have no idea.

In fact, I am still picking bits of cardboard resembling bacon from my teeth from yesterday's "English breakfast" at work...

Sorry again...that's just plain taunting you now, isn't it?

Time for me to shut up and make my weekend delicacy of a bacon sandwich....oops!

Never again.

For me, we can't go back. We need to accept that yes, at the time, he did a good job and he got us playing an attractive, entertaining brand of football but at the end of the day, it didn't work out and we failed to get promotion not once but twice.

We sacked McClaren and he accepted the job at Newcastle. What else can we conclude from that other than these events would not have transpired if the two parties were happy with each other moving forward? Ultimately, one or both thought we were no longer compatible and they would be better off by moving on.

I don't see what has changed. Even if both parties look back and accept mistakes were made and even if there was even the slightest temptation to give it another try, it would be quickly realised that we are still incompatible. 

The separation was messy but necessary.

We need a manager who fully understands the demands of the job and can see the project through to completion. A manager who can not only guide us to promotion first of all, but then establish us in the Premier League. A manager who is capable of remaining on the same wavelength as Mel and developing the club both on and off the pitch in the way Mel wants. A manager who is capable of achieving all of those goals and meanwhile won't take the opportunity for granted and will simply make it count.

Unless he is open to hypnosis, something tells me McClaren is not what we are looking for.

14 hours ago, eddie said:

I voted 'never again' - mainly because at the moment, everything I want turns to something between @mcsilks and @top 6 finish (read into that what you will).

When Mel asked me who I thought should be manager, I said "Steve McClaren" - because I thought that the sacking shouldn't have happened at the time, the appointment of Paul Clement should not have been made and then he should not have been replaced. A long chain of events to undo. At the time, I wanted to turn the clock back 12 months, and now I want to turn it back 13.

However, conversely, Darren Wassall gets my 100% support at the moment and will do until the day his successor is appointed, because he is the current man in the hot-seat, and I have never called for the head of a manager in my life (not Docherty, not Gregory, not Todd, not Billy Third-person - acually that's not QUITE true because I felt that Paul Jewell should have been removed from the firing-line the moment the movie story broke, but I kept that to myself), and I won't start now.

So you were in a face to face with Mel, he asked you who you thought should be Manager, and you said Steve McLaren?

Archived