Steve McClaren

BBG83

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

McClaren.

If McClaren had stayed here and Newcastle had gotten Paul Clement I reckon we'd both be sitting pretty right now.

For us who knows?  Facts indicate that the football may have been more exciting but the results are likely to be worse.  As for Newc, most Managers would struggle in that environment

Would he come back? He hasn't been afraid to take on a challenge in his career thats for sure.

Would Mel take him back? He needs to win favor with fans, not sure this would do that.

Would he improve us? Absolutely.

Could he get this squad promoted? Yes

Would it be funny to see him leave the famous Geordie Nation? Heck yes.

Would I take him back? IN A HEARTBEAT.

I am confident there will be funds available to the new manager in the summer.

I don't think Mel will be sweating about FFP anywhere as much as fans appear to be obsessed by those 3 letters.

I was under the impression all fees paid this year are split over 3 years, so 25 million is actually 8.3 million a year for 3 years. Not to mention FFP then splitting losses over 3 years.

My rough calculations would allow us one more season of going for it like we did this year before we needed to worry. I certainly don't expect us to spend 25 million, so anything under 10 million and we wouldn't need to worry a jot.

In my opinion of course.

The best manager we have had in a long time, of course i would take him back.  Mel wants what's best for the club, so yes i think he would do it, but whether Steve would is another matter.  On the plus side, he still has not rebuilt his career, so it would be another opportunity for him.  If Newcastle are relegated i can see it happening. 

42 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Would he come back? He hasn't been afraid to take on a challenge in his career thats for sure.

Would Mel take him back? He needs to win favor with fans, not sure this would do that.

Six statements I fully agree with.

43 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

It's strange really how a certain manager / coach just seems to work at a particular club .He did well under TBE and I felt we went backwards as soon as he left and of course he did well and fitted straight back in last time .

Shame he didn't look beyond the big club /prem lure [don't blame him] and realise what a good fit it was.

1 hour ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Can't you remember the dross last year? Keogh was playing at rb and Forsyth was at CB!!! Don't want him anywhere near us, what we need is a tough manger who will lead (not encourage) the team! 

I can, but I can also remember the excellent football we played for around a year or more. Being relatively young, Stevie Mac had us playing the most attractive football I have seen us play by a country mile.

I'd also say that the current team have had two different managers this season and are also playing "dross" football (If that sounds right haha). With pretty much a fully fit squad I honestly think Stevie Mac would have us in the top two with these players. If he'd had Shackell and Carson at the back end of last season I think there would have been barely any defensive mistakes and a lot more points would have been picked up.

But he won't come back, I don't think Mel would want him back and I don't think he'd want to come back. I personally wouldn't mind him giving it another go. It looked like he had lost the dressing room by the end of it all though. (This dressing room doesn't appear too hard to lose by the looks of it) He for me certainly has more pros for coming back than Nigel Clough.

My point was, would anyone really want Mac? And is there anyone else available who could get us playing attractive attacking football?

Answer to both is no.

And if it was an option and we turned him down, then how many managers will we go through before we play Mels 'Derby way' again?

The answer to that is.....loads. Because McClaren created the Derby way. It wasn't mentioned before he left or before Clement took us backwards. Apparently.

It doesn't mean I want him back. It means Morris has made it impossible for any manager to play any other type of football.

2 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

My point was, would anyone really want Mac? And is there anyone else available who could get us playing attractive attacking football?

Answer to both is no.

And if it was an option and we turned him down, then how many managers will we go through before we play Mels 'Derby way' again?

The answer to that is.....loads. Because McClaren created the Derby way. It wasn't mentioned before he left or before Clement took us backwards. Apparently.

It doesn't mean I want him back. It means Morris has made it impossible for any manager to play any other type of football.

Yes I remember SM talking about the " Derby Way " in an interview. It's hard to define though. If it means fast moving one touch pass and move ,with Martin pinging balls into midfield runners i would take Steve back straight away. Would give a lot to see Bryson making a late run into the box again, instead of most of the players looking like they are running in treacle at a tempo slower than Cliff Thorburn lining up a pot.

FFS. Threads saying Get Maclaren back or Bring back Clough. Things are definitely bad but not that bad! People really do have short memories. Maclaren's capitulation showed how one dimensional he really was tactically. I am also firmly in the he shafted us big time camp and his tenure will be remembered more of failure than the one season he gave us something to cheer about.  He has far more failures than success in his managerial career too. I actually have more respect and praise for Nigel for the job he did but he was also very limited and stubborn manager and football in the main was dire. Hence losing 6,000 on the attendance.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

For us who knows?  Facts indicate that the football may have been more exciting but the results are likely to be worse.  As for Newc, most Managers would struggle in that environment

I agree and could never understand why he was so keen to go there. That said, I know a lot of Newcastle fans who would be very pleased to drive him to Derby should he change his mind.......

5 minutes ago, Rams1884 said:

FFS. Threads saying Get Maclaren back or Bring back Clough. Things are definitely bad but not that bad! People really do have short memories. Maclaren's capitulation showed how one dimensional he really was tactically. I am also firmly in the he shafted us big time camp and his tenure will be remembered more of failure than the one season he gave us something to cheer about.  He has far more failures than success in his managerial career too. I actually have more respect and praise for Nigel for the job he did but he was also very limited and stubborn manager and football in the main was dire. Hence losing 6,000 on the attendance.

Cheery chappie aren't you? You must've had a pretty torrid time supporting Derby if you view two of our better managers in recent years with such a negative bent.

8 minutes ago, Anon said:

Cheery chappie aren't you? You must've had a pretty torrid time supporting Derby if you view two of our better managers in recent years with such a negative bent.

I understand his point though... You can't go back in this case. A lot of the players who stopped playing for McClaren are still here. How do you think say Chris Martin will react if Scheve is re-appointed? 'He thought he was too good for us and now he's back after doing a bad job at Newcastle?'. It really would not be a good move on our part, especially with the amount of candidates there are in the market currently. We need to be a little more creative! 

14 minutes ago, Anon said:

I thought that was the DNA of being a Rams fan. A few great seasons here and there interspersed with years of mediocrity at best... And before you ask I have been supporting them since the early seventies and neither Nigel or Steve would feature in my top 5 Managers since then. 

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Agree with everything except the bold bit - because I don't believe that Mel has anything to apologise to the fans for.

Just now, Wolfie said:

Agree with everything except the bold bit - because I don't believe that Mel has anything to apologise to the fans for.

Whether you think he needs to apologise for anything or not, take a look at the forum and tell me if it looks like he's got everyone on board...

I'm not taking sides, but just because you don't think Morris has done anything wrong, doesn't mean that a significant amount of others don't. I hope the owner is aware of this.

Archived