Bent to leave?

McRamFan

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel sorry for Darren Bent. Well, I say that, but he's picking up more money in two weeks than I earn in a year for doing relatively little work.

But he was never right for us. In spite of his goal scoring form, the team suffered as a result of his presence.

Bent scored something like 11 in 13 last season, yet we won two games. Martin scored one in ten starts ahead of Boxing Day, yet we won seven of them. That is no coincidence.

Would be strange to get rid of Bent with Blackman as the replacement. We'd still be short up front if he went. Even more so than before Blackman arrived IMO, as he's not the sort of striker you'd throw on to try and win the game or could nick you a late goal out of nowhere a la Brentford last season or MK Dons this season.

Bent has scored goals at every club he has gone to and is comfortably a 1 goal I'm 3 games player. Compared to Ince, Russell, Weimann he is a goal scoring machine.

He scored 12 goals in 20 champ games last season, better than 1 in 2.

Played in the right system he could easily bag 20 goals on this division.

I struggle to understand why he was signed, presumably with Clements approval but then never given a chance.

27 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I feel sorry for Darren Bent. Well, I say that, but he's picking up more money in two weeks than I earn in a year for doing relatively little work.

But he was never right for us. In spite of his goal scoring form, the team suffered as a result of his presence.

Bent scored something like 11 in 13 last season, yet we won two games. Martin scored one in ten starts ahead of Boxing Day, yet we won seven of them. That is no coincidence.

Well, Bris -  if you do' relatively little work' - you don't deserve much money.;)

24 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Wonder if his card was marked when he was sent home for turning up late on match day.

He wasn't sent home, he watched in the stands. I really doubt that affected things all that much. Was just an unfortunate occurrence really, if we'd never seen him again after that then accept there could be truth in it. 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

again...

you get me every time...

Where every Ram and his dog think it's to do with Shackell and Keogh (improving) and Christie getting back to form, and the signing of Bradley Johnson and Butterfield that the pre-christmas results were good, you think somehow it's because Bent isn't playing and Martin is! 

Deserves to be playing. It was always a bizarre signing, but one that would have been daft to overlook. 

I can't understand why he hasn't been given a chance during Martin's dip. It's okay having a big squad if you use it, otherwise it just isolates experienced players from the side. 

Archived