Burnley v Derby

Carl Sagan

2 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

I certainly didnt expect anything more than a thrashing a draw was hopeful. Clearly something is not right lbut there is still time lets try and give the play-offs a shot if we don't make it nevermind. 

Mel has said all along there was no immediate goal to go up straight away. Building a successful team takes time. 

So naive. No one has ever won anything in football by building something over a period of time. It's 2016, it's instant success or nothing. Go back to the 70s, grandad.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, philmycock said:

Realism is fine, but if it's only backed up with negativity then we might as well all call it a day. Today's performance has given me hope going forward, more so than a scrappy draw and a bad performance, I foresee an unbeaten run and quality finish to the season. I refuse to let the moaners drag me down. Let's review this thread in May!

I totally agree with you, I think our fixtures have been so kind to us now, we have a massive run of games that if we play like we did in the first half and create a couple more chances then we should be going on a 7 or 8 game winning run....but if we defend like we did we could lose to a team of 7 year olds.

3 minutes ago, Ziga Zaga10 said:

He's not a poor footballer. He's a very adequate footballer at this level. However he's a very poor defender who for reason known only to himself succeeds in making monumental errors when ever a cool head is called for. His body shape for the own goal and the penalty would be on page one of the "How Not To Defend" coaching manual. Tonight's game will do untold damage to his confidence which is hovering just above empty at the best of times. Credit to Clement for giving him enough self belief to get him to this stage of the season but the wheels were always going to come off at some point. He has been giving me palpitations for the last few years and I'm sat in the crowd so God only knows what his team mates are going through. Time for Clem to have a word with Sam to have a word with Mel about a quality number 5 if this season has got any chance of ending well.

And a striker who can score goals ? 

Nothing will change til Hughes returns and Clement gets his P45.

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

So naive. No one has ever won anything in football by building something over a period of time. It's 2016, it's instant success or nothing. Go back to the 70s, grandad.

If building something over time was the best plan then Crewe and Exeter would be in the Champions League final.

Remember it's not only about our short failings tonight, we have had them most of the season but managed to ride the storm.

How many games out of the 28 this season have we played well for 90mins, I am not taking about dominating, just playing well in a whole game? Wolves?

We have managed to play well in some 1st halves and some 2nd halves, but not many whole games.For me we have deteriorated since the Fulham game, that was the last time we managed to ride our luck and nicked a win.

Tonight has just shown how fragile  we have become.

We need somebody who can motivate the players to get them to gell.......Is the special one still looking for a job? 

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I totally agree with you, I think our fixtures have been so kind to us now, we have a massive run of games that if we play like we did in the first half and create a couple more chances then we should be going on a 7 or 8 game winning run....but if we defend like we did we could lose to a team of 7 year olds.

Agree pal, let's also agree that this is the first game this season that our central defenders have defended like Allestree Juniors under 16's. If this is a one-off blip then I'm confident we will win far more than we lose. This is our last defeat! (Pint half full and all that!)

Just now, philmycock said:

Agree pal, let's also agree that this is the first game this season that our central defenders have defended like Allestree Juniors under 16's. If this is a one-off blip then I'm confident we will win far more than we lose. This is our last defeat! (Pint half full and all that!)

God I hope you are right.!!

Wow! Some of you guys are so negative it's unreal,we played ok first half,every team has a bad run,burnley didn't win for six only a couple of months ago,were 2 points behind them not twenty!

Its like some of you just like to moan! When we hit form again and make the play offs easily,you'll still find something to moan about!

Very disappointed to only have one game on the match thread, but heartened by the performance. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong and we showed that in the work to upgrade Moor Farm, we must have broken every mirror going and then some. But nobody hid. Three minutes of poor play by our central defenders against a £9m striker cost us, but we dominated the game and deserved to have won. Keep playing like that and the wins will come. Good interview by Clement at the end who highlighted that Burnley defended their box fabulously well while it was our undoing.

The side felt pretty well balanced. I'm a huge fan but think it might be worth giving Ince a berth on the bench, playing Blackman on his favoured right side and trying Camara as a proper left winger. Does Jake deserve a try when central defence was our undoing? But, in fact, I suspect Clement will pick an unchanged team for Man United on Friday and I'd say I've been robbed of the opportunity to start the thread.

Well done to the team tonight for what was actually a very good showing.

Just now, MuespachRam said:

how many games have we played well in the season?

What's that got to do with the initial post?

Go at teams and win; MK Dons, Brentford, Wolves, Rotherham, Hull, Brizzle off the top of my head.

I'll entertain your second question though; Charlton, Birmingham, PNE, Brentford, Wolves, Rotherham, Hull, Brizzle.

Lot's of other games that are up for debate too.

Having just got back from the game I haven't read any of the comments above but having driven back from the brum game in some despair I travelled back from Burnley with hope in my heart.

When you lose 4-1, score the goal of the game but concede two own goals and two penalties you have to conclude that it isn't going to be your night.  The first penalty was probably fair enough; but whether the second was deliberate handball when Shackle appeared to be looking in the other direction was debatable from behind the goal.  But then I've never yet watched us get the rub of the green at Turf Moor.

I thought Butterfield and Thorne were excellent throughout and Butterfield the MotM. Unlike the last two matches no one was poor - Blackman showed some good touches on the ball,  Ince had some better attacking moments, Martin stayed on his feet more (interesting that their No6 was given MoM) but still needs a goal.

I wouldn't be surprised if Granty is back for Friday - Carson was stretching his back and his kicking wasn't as long as it normally is - and Shackell and Keogh were both less in control at times than I've seen them this season, but this was a positive response to the Birmingham performance and one recognised by the fans there, who not only stuck with the team and made a good amount of noise, but also clapped the players off.  Deservedly

Archived