Burnley v Derby

Carl Sagan

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, SK47 said:

I don't blame the players tonight. Effort was there, If it wasn't for the penalties, I saw us frustrating them and stealing it.. Problem is we are cursed. I've accepted it though, I even chuckled when their 4th went in. Bring on the next game!

If we are cursed surely we can bring someone in to undo this spell or has that already been done,hair of a dog,eye of a newt,isn't that how it goes Eddie

8 hours ago, Ninos said:

The positives:

Burnley were boys against Derby men in the first half. We won the ball with ease, knocked it around, and basically dictated matters - and that really didn't stop to the final whistle. We made them look total rubbish. That and the performance of Bryson in his cameo and George Thorne were the positives for me and Butterfield in parts. I like the fact that Thorne and Bryson (for the short time he was on) never give the ball away cheaply (and if Thorne does he busts his Arse and gets it back). We beat ourselves on the night, actually we thrashed ourselves. 

The negatives: 

we have the ability to win balls and spray it about but but Too many of our players lose the final ball and the defenders too often hoof it constantly because there's no central midfielders to pass to. The other major problem is the anemic attack: where we neither create good chances nor execute the chances we do make. We don't have a centre forward that does anything good at this point : he can't beat a defender he can't head the ball he has no pace or hustle and his passes aren't that good currently. He did pop up for the pass that led to the butterfield belter admitted, and hes played worse, but he doesn't fit Clements defence-first system. Martin doesn't worry defenders and neither does Blackman who seems far more menacing but has no final product. 

The one game in recent memory where we tore the other team apart was V Bristol City (the same team that just beat Boro 1-0) where Bent played in front of Ince. yes it was an experiment and Bent never scored but it made us look lethal up front and our passing was incisive and clever. Bent and PC need to make friends and he should play up top v United - in front of Ince. 

And we clearly need a new Captain out there - No more of the leaderless Baird Martin warnock merrygoround - hes young but Thorne it should be. 

Thorne busts his gut....? He wasn't busting a gut when he turned his back on the ball and skipped up to allow their player to ghost past him for the first goal. He has been getting away with too many poor performances this season because people think he is the golden boy of football.

Bryson...if you are pinning your hopes on him, prepare to be very disappointed. average player who will never make it any higher than now.

Blackman looked menacing....seriously, he is rubbish a terrible signing, he won't score 5 goals for DCFC.

Bent, awful signing a complete waste of money.

Martin is the best centre forward at the club, if we get the ball to him in the right areas (to his feet!!) he will be fine.

1 hour ago, Malagaram said:

If we are cursed surely we can bring someone in to undo this spell or has that already been done,hair of a dog,eye of a newt,isn't that how it goes Eddie

Gypsy spell was allegedly lifted before 48 cup final.... not taking the pee but i seriously think we are cursed again.... playoff off final.... last season.... this season.... someone get that spoon bending fella or the ghostbusters to come and have a snoop round

We are 5th in the table. Playoffs seem more likely than automatics but in the end we just lost a game to a close rival away from home when they were on a run of top drawer form. It isn't the end of the world or the upward curve that DCFC is on.

The score flattered the winners because some errors we might have got away with all got punished. There is some tactical and team work to be done but it isn't over. Lets criticise but for heavens sake we are supporters so lets try and find the upside as well as the down.  Butterfield .. star. Warnock did his bit, Camara is exciting. we will get out of this spot of bother ( but I wish they would hurry up ! )

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Thorne busts his gut....? He wasn't busting a gut when he turned his back on the ball and skipped up to allow their player to ghost past him for the first goal. He has been getting away with too many poor performances this season because people think he is the golden boy of football.

Bryson...if you are pinning your hopes on him, prepare to be very disappointed. average player who will never make it any higher than now.

Blackman looked menacing....seriously, he is rubbish a terrible signing, he won't score 5 goals for DCFC.

Bent, awful signing a complete waste of money.

Martin is the best centre forward at the club, if we get the ball to him in the right areas (to his feet!!) he will be fine.

in 10 games time we will be top of the league and Bryson will play most of these games , time for Bradley to take a seat on the bench and play thorne butterfield and bryson as the midfield 3

6 hours ago, gazum123 said:

Tonights game was a werid one. We played alright nothinng special but nothing bad and we had some bad luck.

Martian is a funny one he looks very unintrested at the moment but then I thought to myself what's changed in the team ? Looking at Martin as a player he is a very clever and creative football player who likes service to his feet you know that neat stuff allowing him to play little one touch passes to open up teams and give himself good chances on goal. Our team has a few players who understand this with Martin and play that way e,g Hendrick and bryson. Our current team seems to be keen on knocking it around midfield passing it to ince / Christie and hoping that they don't mess it up / get it in the boc which isn't the way we score goals.

Look at Martin last night whenever the ball when into the area he didn't go out to attack the ball because he wasn't expecting a decent cross or oppertunity. Martin isn't like Grey who wants to go out and make his own oppertunities take on players and perform that kind of magic. Hes your kind of player who reads the game well holds the ball up and can bring other players into the game.

Think we need to start looking at the way we play rather than knocking the ball constantly down the wing for Christie / ince to mess up we need to start playing more attacking football down the middle bringing martin into the game, get hendrick on the pitch he will take on players and is happy to run at players infront of him currently all we have is a midfield that passes the ball backwards and down the wing completely nulling what our attack is all about.

Anyone else agree ?

I agree that you make a very valid point and explain it well. I don't however agree that playing up to Martin expecting intricate Arsenal type close passing is a better system than we're playing now. Chris Martin isn't so good that we should design our whole approach around the only way he can play. The current system is much more solid than last year it's just that we don't have a centre forward who can do the job it requires (just read your description of Grey). We're letting teams back into games we're bossing and they're punishing us. Whether that's down to Martin or Clement is a matter of opinion. I'm beginning to think we should've gone for a proven goalscorer and held off on Camara and Blackman. After watching last night's game I thought the contrast between Martin and Grey was striking (pun intended) and confirmed to me where our problem lies.

3 minutes ago, valleyram said:

in 10 games time we will be top of the league and Bryson will play most of these games , time for Bradley to take a seat on the bench and play thorne butterfield and bryson as the midfield 3

We do have a VERY easy run of games now and if we are planning on being anywhere near the promotion race then we should be looking at winning 7 or 8 on the bounce....but we haven't won 4 on the trot for how long...?

ps Bryson is average. Very average. 

18 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

We do have a VERY easy run of games now and if we are planning on being anywhere near the promotion race then we should be looking at winning 7 or 8 on the bounce....but we haven't won 4 on the trot for how long...?

yip in your opinion and ive no problems with that , I just wish we had 11 average brysons in the team , just because you are a 6 million pound player doesn't make you a better team player , just remember that and I will say it again in 10 games time this team will be top of the league

I only watched this on TV, but thought overall we were the better side, Burnley must have been laughing when they went into the dressing room. 

4 moments of madness. Let's forget this and move on , I saw plenty of positives last night, we will be there or there abouts. Burnley are a good team but I fancy us if we play them again. 

Get behind the boys, there is lots to play for and we are good enough to be up there come the end

All season our centre backs have done very well,I suppose they were due

an off-night.Pity they both had it together the same night.

The other problem I noticed was that in spite of all our possession and accurate,

neat passing we didn't create a lot,which was why we only scored once. There was

a decent amount of goalmouth action,maybe Bent would have potted one.

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Why stop there? We ought to be going the rest of season unbeaten winning every game by 3 or 4 really.  It's not like it's competitive league or anything.

7 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Had time to reflect on last night and it was one of the strangest games ive seen for a while.

First half I thought we were very good. We had total control of the game and I didn't think we were in trouble at all. If we had played like that against Reading and Birmingham I think we would have got a much better return than the 1 point we actually got.

2nd half I thought we were still in control of the game. I wasn't worried we were going to concede and in actual fact thought we would go on and win the game.

Then they get in our box and get a penalty. Which it was. Hard to blame Keogh though. Warnock and Shackell were there too. He got past them. Keogh had to put a foot in to try and get the ball or it was a definate goal. He went for it, Gray got there first and a penalty it was. The best defenders in the world give penalties away.

The next penalty was a moment of madness from Shackell. Who I thought played well last night. I have no idea why he had his arms out like that. Stonewall penalty again. You can't legislate for that. 

3-1 down. I knew there was noway back. Although I still thought we could get another goal and they would get nervous. Then the 4th goal was like the start of the season all over again. Aimless shot, hit and hope and when your luck is in, that flies over the bar or gets blocked. But the way our luck is at the minute there was only gonna be one outcome when that hit Shackell. You just can't do anything about it. You really cant. We played well last night at what is a very tough place to go.

Still trying to get my head round how we lost the game, let alone lose it 4-1. 

I see fans on twitter who want Clement out. Absolutely mental. Were they the same fans that wanted Clement out at the end of August? Then went quiet when we went top of the league? Probably so. You can't sack a manager everytime you have a bad run. Personally I saw more than enough last night to know that we will be fine and will win games sooner rather than later.

In all this doom and gloom I thought I would try and give people a little bit of optimism.....

-February and March are big months. Very big months. Looking at each game individually I would say Derby should win them. Im not stupid enough to say we will win them all. But we are more than capable of doing so.

Preston (H),Fulham (A), MK Dons (H),Brentford (A), Blackburn (H), Wolves (A), Huddersfield (H), QPR (A), Rotherham (A), Forest (H)

In the next 10 games. We do not play anyone that is currently above 10th in the league. Now if you want automatic promotion. You need to win these games. Simple as that. I honestly believe we will win our next 5 home games. Then its all about the away games. Fulham are a poor side at the minute. Brentford will be tricky would probably take a point, same with Wolves and same with QPR. But we are more than capable of winning a couple of those away games. Again I am not saying we will. But we are capable.

Rivals fixtures-

Burnley- Sheff Weds (A), Hull (H), Reading (A), Rotherham (H), Forest (H), Bolton (A), Blackburn (H), Fulham (A), Huddersfield (A), Wolves (A), 

Boro- Blackburn (H), Leeds (A), Reading (H), Cardiff (H), Fulham (A), Blackburn (A), Wolves (H), Rotherham (A), Charlton (A), Hull (H)

Hull- Burnley (A), Blackburn (A), Brighton (H), Forest (H), Ipswich (A), Sheff Weds (H), Birmingham (A), Brentford (H), MK Dons (H), Boro (A)

Brighton-Brentford (H), Bolton (H), Hull (A), Cardiff (A), Bristol City (A), Leeds (H),Preston (A), Sheff Weds (H), Reading (H), MK Dons (A)

Looking at those fixtures, does anybody think that those 4 teams will pick up more points than Derby? I honestly dont. Our run in is the best on paper. Hulls fixtures are very very tricky. Their next 6 games in particular. Worth nothing in the next 10 games, they all play each other. We don't.  Burnley's next 3 are very hard. None of us would trade our next 10 games for any of the others.

There are lost more twists and turns still to come. Believe me. 

-Last season after 29 games. Watford were 6th and 7 points of 2nd place. They finished 2nd and comfortably.

-Start of the season we went 5 games without a win. Conceding deflected goals. Then we played Preston. Won the game and that set us off on a run. We have just gone 5 games without a win, conceded a horribly deflected goal last night. Our next game is Preston :)

Keep the faith people. We are all in this together. I strongly believe we will go on a run. This season is a long way from being finished.

COYR.

POST OF THE YEAR

It will be easier to post in Feb and March

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Why stop there? We ought to be going the rest of season unbeaten winning every game by 3 or 4 really.  It's not like it's competitive league or anything.

Newsflash - Derby County sign 86 points so Play Off place is now certain as we already have 86 points.

20 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thought the ref had a good game, nailed on penalties both of them.

Just remembered, I got really annoyed when Sky referred to him as a Premier League referee...No he is a referee. If he is Premier League he should sod off and referee Premier League matches!

Archived