Burnley v Derby

Carl Sagan

7 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

What's that got to do with the initial post?

Go at teams and win; MK Dons, Brentford, Wolves, Rotherham, Hull, Brizzle off the top of my head.

I'll entertain your second question though; Charlton, Birmingham, PNE, Brentford, Wolves, Rotherham, Hull, Brizzle.

Lot's of other games that are up for debate too.

Ok clever clogs, tell me one game we've played well in the last 3 matches. Apart from first half tonight. 

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

What's that got to do with the initial post?

Go at teams and win; MK Dons, Brentford, Wolves, Rotherham, Hull, Brizzle off the top of my head.

I'll entertain your second question though; Charlton, Birmingham, PNE, Brentford, Wolves, Rotherham, Hull, Brizzle.

Lot's of other games that are up for debate too.

I would say only Wolves and Hull have we performed for 90 minutes.

It is really hard to stay positive amidst the frustration of the fact that we have spent a lot of money, and all we have to show for it is a more muddled squad with no obvious starting XI or line-up. If we were re-building then that would be less concerning, but I thought we were going for broke?

I really thought this summer was a case of finding cover or competition to Martin and Thorne. We've signed totally different players to them, and when they're unfit or out of form, it's all gone a bit 14/15 again. We've lost Eustace and Omar so we've actually gone backwards in terms of options at CDM.

Some encouraging signs tonight, but something does seem awry in that we've gone from having the best defence in the league to what looked like the kind of performance you'd expect at the end of last season. That we didn't solve the Thorne/Martin conundrum seemed acceptable because Clement gave us organisation and defensive shape in a way the previous manager couldn't or wouldn't.

That, for whatever reason, has vanished in recent games, but let's keep some perspective here - this is a run of 4 games. It's not 2 wins in 13. Am I happy? No. Is it okay? Not at all. Can we still win the league?  Things have to change, but of course we can. Stupid to suggest otherwise. 46 games decide who goes up, and even then, we might get another shot with a further three games to play.

It seems in some quarters there's no appetite to discuss a 4-1 defeat without having accusations thrown at you for being a disloyal supporter for suggesting something might be wrong. Not everyone who is unhappy tonight is calling for heads or for players to be sold - and it's a discussion forum anyway. A negative comment on a forum in the heat of the moment is NOT the same thing as booing or shouting abuse at the players. The players can't hear praise or criticism on this forum, no matter how furiously you  type.

The nature of last season's collapse has probably made us too eager to press the panic button in a dramatic - but short - drop in form. Nevertheless, when you watch images of Shackell and Keogh arguing with  and pointing at each other live on television, it's difficult to escape the conclusion that we have lost something in that team that we once had in abundance.

3 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Having just got back from the game I haven't read any of the comments above but having driven back from the brum game in some despair I travelled back from Burnley with hope in my heart.

When you lose 4-1, score the goal of the game but concede two own goals and two penalties you have to conclude that it isn't going to be your night.  The first penalty was probably fair enough; but whether the second was deliberate handball when Shackle appeared to be looking in the other direction was debatable from behind the goal.  But then I've never yet watched us get the rub of the green at Turf Moor.

I thought Butterfield and Thorne were excellent throughout and Butterfield the MotM. Unlike the last two matches no one was poor - Blackman showed some good touches on the ball,  Ince had some better attacking moments, Martin stayed on his feet more (interesting that their No6 was given MoM) but still needs a goal.

I wouldn't be surprised if Granty is back for Friday - Carson was stretching his back and his kicking wasn't as long as it normally is - and Shackell and Keogh were both less in control at times than I've seen them this season, but this was a positive response to the Birmingham performance and one recognised by the fans there, who not only stuck with the team and made a good amount of noise, but also clapped the players off.  Deservedly

Wait until you see the penalty on tv it is embarrassing. both nailed on penalties and they definitely didnt deserve a round of applause at the end of that.

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I would say only Wolves and Hull have we performed for 90 minutes.

I think me and you have different ideas of playing well then mate. We don't need to be on it for 90 minutes, we never have been and never will need to be. You can wrap up a game in 70 minutes as we did in a few of those. On the other hand you can absolutely pummel a team from start to finish and not even win, 0-0 at home to Charlton looks a shocking result. Easy to hide behind the result itself though, a little like tonight.

Well, just back from the pub, so as constructive as can be, was that the best we have played in January? I thought so, silly own goal, really not so sure about penalty number one, number two yes/no maybe both could have been given or not but were as we are Derby, and a hideous deflected shot as per early season. I thought we tried to be progressive and a lot better than a very average burnley (how we managed to lose 4-1 I do not know) maybe they thought they were very good but they weren't and I still do not know who was the best team we have played this season, or is everyone bang average! 

Anyway Carson, only quibble a lot of penalties are going down the middle, try staying there.

christie good crosses tonight, shackle Keogh -just not your night, warnock defensively ok if  his legs were younger.

thorne, I thought he did very well 

butterfield decent, disappeared a bit 2nd half

ince, not overly helpful

johnson - not great for me very disappointing 

martin- better than late, 

blackman, could be ok in the middle but not out wide really

subs Russell nothing, Bryson nothing, camara actually puts in good crosses if only we had Alan shearer coming in on them!

i will sleep ok tonight knowing we were better and burnley were not, maybe see them again in the playoffs unless we start performing 

good night everyone 

2 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Whats a ridiculous question. Any chance of a bit of relevance.

It was highly relevant. It was suggested that we hadn't played well all season or go at teams. You came up with lots of counter arguments.

I then asked you if we had played well in last 3 games, cleverly satirising certain posters whose opinions of us been poor all season are heavily clouded by the last 3 or 4 matches.

I'm here all week. Well, maybe on Friday.

Shocking. So awful I've spent the last hour trying to top myself. Tried to slash my wrists but the knives were from T K Maxx and utter gash. Then tried tried a bullet to the head but BB guns are not much cop really are they? Next I thought I'd go play with traffic. Got smashed head on but it was a f3ckin SmartCar and being a fat Kant I ended up writing the thing off with my ars3. Guess I'll just have to wipe my mouth, stop moaning, man up and support the team like a proper fan eh?

5 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Done a write-up on the game as a neutral - http://www.TheFootbalLab.co.uk/2016/clinical-finishing-the-difference-at-turf-moor/ Thought you played quite well for most of the game, still think you've got a chance of breaking into the top two if you can be a bit more clinical.

Good write up, though if anything I think we will take confidence in the performance rather than it denting confidence. Even though we still haven't hit the heights of the last 2 seasons yet, when we do we will be on a roll, it's never easy being a Derby fan, but I'd still rather watch us every week than Burnley or teams of their ilk.

4 hours ago, needles said:

I'm pretty downcast about the Rams at present, and I hope to be proven wrong...but Johnson and Blackman don't deserve a shirt on form and I think we'll get pumped. :(

So we got pumped again as predicted.

We've got an expensive, bloated squad, who are clearly all over the place and we're throwing goals away like confetti. If I had to pick our best team, assuming everyone fit, it's still going to be about half Nigel Clough signings. The money we've pissed away on players not a scrap better than we had three years ago is frightening. 

I'd write off manu as long as we get a credible performance, but Clement has 3 or 4 games to turn it. Go 8 or 9 without a win (20% of a season) with a £25m championship side and you're sacked, simple as that, deserved or not.

Archived