Volley

header

half volley

clearance

header

volley

header

clearance

Expected from Ipswich but I thought better of some of our players. 

The positives are we matched the physical battle and took our chance. That our defending is fookin brilliant.

Painful to watch

Pain has been transferred into pleasure when you look at the table today...... 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

One of the worst football matches I've seen this season. Including on the park

Volley

header

half volley

clearance

header

volley

header

clearance

Expected from Ipswich but I thought better of some of our players. 

The positives are we matched the physical battle and took our chance. That our defending is fookin brilliant.

Painful to watch

Maybe painful... We can't be silky skilled all the time....

Thought the game management was wonderful throughout...

Slowed it when necessary, Ipswich were at arms length all game. Similar to many away games this season... Never looked in danger of conceding

Great result. Performance wasn't perfect, but we did what we had to do away from home. They shaded possession (53-47) and the number of shots (12-7). But like so many times this season, teams have been restricted to long shots only. Grant had to make one save from a long range shot, comfortably saved low to his left. Other than that they had a scrappy corner cleared off the line but that's it.

It reminded me a lot like our game against them nearly a year ago. We had 1 clear cut chance and we took it. Defended well. I watched on a half-fan stream with poor quality. I rarely do ratings post game but I'm going to give it a go based on what I saw.

Grant - 6. Not a lot to do, one save, one punch from a corner late on. Kicking wasn't the best, can't really give higher or lower than a six.

Christie - 8. Thought he defended superbly. Sears is a great little player, pacey too. He was strong, good going forward and solid at the back, Another one to add to the long list of good performances by Cyrus this season.

Keogh - 9. Did he lose a header all game? He was fantastic against arguably the best aerial striker in the league in Daryl Murphy. Again, he has been absolutely superb this year.

Shackell - 8. Similar to Keogh, although he gave the ball away a bit with his passing. Together they're forming a great partnership. Some great blocks too.

Warnock - 7. Was probably the least busy of our back 4 today. Most of their attacks went down their left hand side. Again he did well, but not enough to get over a 7.

Thorne - 7. He was ganged up on at the start of the game, but as the game went on he found himself some more space. Good tracking back and defending, helped control the tempo of the game.

Johnson - 7. He does what he does best and battles. Had a couple long rangers which weren't far off at all. One took a very good save in injury time from their keeper.

Butterfield - 6. He did ok, some good runs. Lost his head and rightly was taken off, could easily have been sent off for his reaction to being kicked in the head (after trying to block a clearance with his head) then grabbing the referee for booking him.

Ince - 7. Good performance, got the goal with the help of a slight deflection. Worked hard and tracked back. Made the wrong decision a couple of times when we had a goalscoring opportunity on the counter attack.

Russell - 6. Worked very hard. Ran himself into the ground and looked knackered by the time he came off. Great effort to chase the over-run ball for the assist.

Martin - 7. Had a tough day with two big defenders on him and didn't get a lot in terms of free kicks. One good scoring chance which was well blocked. His technique to lay the ball off in the build up to the goal was magnificent, so he gets a 7 for that alone.

SUBS:
Hendrick - 6. Did ok in the short time he was on. Helped defend and relieved pressure. Would give the exact same rating for Weimann.

Baird - N/A. Wasn't on long enough.

Played Ipswich at their own game and it paid off.

Made it physical and didn't back out of a challenge all day, Keogh and Shackell were brilliant and dealt with everything that came their way, cleared the ball long to relieve pressure when it was needed and had that bit of class to score the one goal needed. Ipswich huffed and puffed but I can't really remember Grant having to do a great deal and when it looked like he might struggle, we had somebody on the line to make sure there was no way through.

My only complaint was the number of high balls to Martin when it was obvious that he was going to lose that battle.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Problem is, playing Ipswich at Portman Road, you're forced to play like that as they don't give you an inch.

It was exactly the same last year, and Boro's recent 2-0 win there was the same. I actually thought we played better than Boro did, Ipswich created three good first-half chances against them.

Against us, they created nothing. Goals will always set the tone for matches, scoring first just allowed us to sit back and play long-ball clearance + chase type football.

I'm sure if Ipswich scored in the first 5 mins we would have altered our game!

It's an utterly amazing statistic that one game short of the half-way mark, we have dropped ZERO POINTS after being in a winning position in any league game this season. We take the lead, it's game over.

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

This time, we've got a guy in charge who recognises that sometimes you have to change things around for the next game, even after routing a team 4-0 at home four days earlier.

Merry Christmas, everybody.

Indeed - Clements reign under Ancelotti really showing through. Huge difference between a manager like McClaren who can get good performances out of a team whilst they are on a good run and a top manager (Not saying Clement is one yet but certainly could be one day if he keeps it up) who can alter their teams play style at a drop of a hat game to game.

It's not always pretty, but if you want to be successful you can't always be. Just look at the Liverpool v Chelsea game a couple of years back.

Great win , well done to all who went , great turn out , and you could be heard on radio Derby , will defo be at Leeds , on the 29 th , the day we go top.Really impressed with Mr Clement , he is very good tactical, and the players seem to like him , and more importantly respect him . great times ahead I feel.From top to bottom , the club looks in great shape for the future , let's all sit back and enjoy the journey.

Great result think boro are nailed on for top spot but I am starting to believe that with our squad consistently picking up the points we can be close to them at the end of the season. Watching Brighton boro reminded me of our loss at boro last season, Brighton won't fall away but don't think they will last the pace. For top two. Hull n Burnley will still be around though. Roll on boxing day. 

Well done u rams n merry Xmas all of the forum members 

Paul Clement's Black and White Army.

Have to say, listening to Radio Derby commentary made it sound like it was all Ipswich for most of the second half - all credit to Keogh and Shackell who dealt with everything.

2nd at Christmas. 

Remember that soft underbelly we had under Mac? Forget it. Johnson, Thorne, Keogh and Shackell is a powerful spine.

Only sour note was Boro's comprehensive win, slightly better GD and obviously the 2 point gap. Away game at Boro will be a tasty one - probably tougher than the game away at Hull.

Love it!!!!!! 

Wish you all merry Christmas and happy new year, also my thoughts for those that lost their loved ones at that time of the year 

UP THE RAMS 

DEL

x

Archived