Ipswich Town v Derby County

Day

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

Well you got the better of us this time but in fairness it was a scrappy, lackluster game for long periods by all accounts.   The home form continues to be a concern and our players as at other times this season, looked devoid of ideas or proper creativity and not only that, the expected big turnout never arrived, and 20,000 represented a poor crowd.

Many people on our forum are in agreement there wasn't an actual lot to choose between both teams today - other than the score itself - and a share of points in the end would have been a fair result.      That there wasn't and you took the victory is frustrating but we move on and focus on the next fixture.

On the evidence of this one game alone, there are other teams than ourselves who are better equipped for a promotion and both sides will play better on future occasion, but until we can rectify our home scores any real talk of promotion will have to go on hold.     Believe the senior match official was not at his best also and gave out some questionable decisions, but as before, we move on to the next game.     Hopefully the final day encounter (At Derby) will be more eventful than today's 'disappointment'

In truth we've not actually played eye-catchingly well in many games this season. When McClaren's Derby were in full flight we were often majestic. Under Clement we're a different proposition. We generally seem to do just enough. It's not as pleasing on the eye, but it's tremendously efficient. Our defence is now rock solid and we usually hold our own when faced with a team being aggressively physical. That has made us very hard to beat, even if some matches feature periods where watching the emulsion dry is more exciting.

I've just watched the mini highlights package. A lot of Ipswich fans seem to be saying that Ince's goal was offside. He looks level to me - although the camera angle is not the best. I'm a bit surprised that more hasn't been made of his high challenge on the edge of the box. The ref got it right in that it was just outside, but he should have got a straight red for that challenge. He could have easily broken the players jaw.

Under PC we have a coach that can adapt his team to get a result, with Mac it was plan A only.

Ipswich is always a difficult place to win.

I sign of a good side is being able to get a result even in those games we not play so well.[Utd spent a decade doing it]

!Going by the highlights!, 1 goal decided a scrappy game. Glad Ince got it for us. On quality and balance of play, I can see why Ipswich can claim 1) they matched us - they did in terms of effort and quality in that match and 2) A draw would've been "fair" - If only they had got one in, it would not be result to complain about. BUT as lots of people above pointed out, we did get the goal and it was a very good counter attack goal. Don't think Ince was offside and it looked to me like Russell got it away before Berra (was it) got the challenge in.

Loved Butters head tackle (but foolish reaction - he was going to take one there - nowt the Ipswich bloke could've done different).

Love the fact that we can get these results now - a bit of steel that Mac's team never had.

13 hours ago, Srg said:

That Butterfield head tackle was completely bizarre. 

Massive respect for putting his body on the line like that, but when he got the expected boot to the head which was as inadvertent as it was inevitable, I'm really not sure how he could possibly react as he did. 

Hmmm, I think there were some words said from the Ipswich player. I don't think the reaction was to the kick!

20 hours ago, RIMBAUD said:

This week we've shown that we can be versatile.  Like Eddie says above we've got someone in charge who can set us up to deal with the opposition but also play to our strengths.

And a 7 man analytics team!

Our biggest test is obviously Boro away, but they do not need to win the game and neither do we.Draw would be nice, but I cannot see that happening. Clement will say that he is going to Boro to get three points and the players will believe him.Ipswich away was the kind of game that automatic promotion contenders win.

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 14:51, Rampage said:

Our biggest test is obviously Boro away, but they do not need to win the game and neither do we.Draw would be nice, but I cannot see that happening. Clement will say that he is going to Boro to get three points and the players will believe him.Ipswich away was the kind of game that automatic promotion contenders win.

Sorry,but I don't see why Boro or us don't need to win it.Brighton,Hull, Burnley

and Ipswich are all breathing down our necks.The season is only half over and

we need every point,a draw against Boro would be good for both teams.

1 hour ago, top 6 finish said:

Sorry,but I don't see why Boro or us don't need to win it.Brighton,Hull, Burnley

Are Ipswich breathing down our necks? I don't think so.  Boro away is our toughest game ... We should win the vast majority of our remaining home games, provided we are not too complacent. I would still think whoever loses the boro game should still fancy their chances of automatic. 

1 hour ago, top 6 finish said:

We do not need to win it but we cannot afford to lose it. If we lose we could, (ignoring two intervening fixtures) be five points behind Boro as against staying two behind them.In other words we stay up there with Boro and they stay two points ahead. We cannot win every game so if we are going to draw a game it should be against our biggest rivals, which is the same for them. Basically we must not lose against our rivals.They cannot afford to lose against their rivals. Boro have already got a draw at our place.

• 1 month later...

Archived