Ipswich Town v Derby County

Day

Now back in my Ipswich home after a 13 hour beer football beer curry beer bender. 

What a day. I'm actually looking forrward to going to work Mondsy.  

Loved Clement coming on the pitch and applauding the away fans. That was a new one. 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, eddie said:

Now I shouldn't comment, having not gone today so I don't know just how 'god damn awful' we were, but against a side who would have played anything other than attritional football, you may well have seen a different Derby County. I daresay that some people would have still found something to moan about though.

Please be fair, i'm allowed a first moan, if you go through each and every one of my posts this season you will see i rarely if ever moan and always look on the brightside......

to all those who told me to piss off, right back at ya. On multiple occasions i felt we just werent up to it and a bit lazy getting the ball back. On multiple occasions we failed to pull off a simple 1-2 pass and it went out for a throw to them. Its these things which were annoying to watch when combined with the football that was actually being played!

4 hours ago, DerbyRam! said:

At least people are getting it right tonight, we were God damn awful and against any decent side we would of been punished! Despite them not giving us an inch it doesn't excuse our inability to perform ever the most basic passes.

Ps.was their n. 14 varney? Certainly don't miss him do we

Totally agree, I mean any team in the top 6 would have, oh, wait.....

That Butterfield head tackle was completely bizarre. 

Massive respect for putting his body on the line like that, but when he got the expected boot to the head which was as inadvertent as it was inevitable, I'm really not sure how he could possibly react as he did. 

Well you got the better of us this time but in fairness it was a scrappy, lackluster game for long periods by all accounts.   The home form continues to be a concern and our players as at other times this season, looked devoid of ideas or proper creativity and not only that, the expected big turnout never arrived, and 20,000 represented a poor crowd.

Many people on our forum are in agreement there wasn't an actual lot to choose between both teams today - other than the score itself - and a share of points in the end would have been a fair result.      That there wasn't and you took the victory is frustrating but we move on and focus on the next fixture.

On the evidence of this one game alone, there are other teams than ourselves who are better equipped for a promotion and both sides will play better on future occasion, but until we can rectify our home scores any real talk of promotion will have to go on hold.     Believe the senior match official was not at his best also and gave out some questionable decisions, but as before, we move on to the next game.     Hopefully the final day encounter (At Derby) will be more eventful than today's 'disappointment'

Just now, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

Well you got the better of us this time but in fairness it was a scrappy, lackluster game for long periods by all accounts.   The home form continues to be a concern and our players as at other times this season, looked devoid of ideas or proper creativity and not only that, the expected big turnout never arrived, and 20,000 represented a poor crowd.

Many people on our forum are in agreement there wasn't an actual lot to choose between both teams today - other than the score itself - and a share of points in the end would have been a fair result.      That there wasn't and you took the victory is frustrating but we move on and focus on the next fixture.

On the evidence of this one game alone, there are other teams than ourselves who are better equipped for a promotion and both sides will play better on future occasion, but until we can rectify our home scores any real talk of promotion will have to go on hold.     Believe the senior match official was not at his best also and gave out some questionable decisions, but as before, we move on to the next game.     Hopefully the final day encounter (At Derby) will be more eventful than today's 'disappointment'

The thing is, goals really set the tone for matches these days. So many teams are seeking to get their noses in-front and play on the counter, thus swaying percieption.

Derby's goal really set the tone, but in all honesty, after the first ten minutes I thought Derby took control and looked the more likely to score first anyway.

Ince, before scoring, had two decent opportunities and Martin had a decent chance blocked. While I'm not suggesting it was an onslaught, Derby looked the more likely to score first and they did.

From then on, like Hull away, we just sat back, soaked up possession and looked to hit on the counter. Ipswich looked like the only team who would score in that second half, but only because Derby intentionally played that way.

Suggesting a draw was a fair result based on the way the game went I think is wrong... It was set in stone after Ince's goal and Ipswich in all honesty never looked like scoring.

It was the same for us at Forest. They took the lead after 5 minutes and sat back the whole match. Despite 65% or so possession and plenty of corners, Derby never really looked like scoring and thus deservedly lost.

First goals are often critical in the Championship between the top teams. Had Ipswich scored first, Derby would have tried to play their way back into it and it probably would have made for a better match in all honesty.

Also, I was amazed Ipswich tried so many short corners and quickset-piece routines.

Ipswich are absolutely lethal at dead-ball situations, why they didn't just load the box and cross the ball first-time made absolutely no sense to me.

Sears looks a lively player though. He would be an improvement on Weimann/Russell from an attacking sense, though I'm not sure his defensive work could match our duo.

But when we're behind, it often turns into a losing situation.    Maybe fine at keeping a lead, but once the opposition get ahead, it's invariably the same story.      Not just making excuses for todays setback, we've seen it many times before - with many other club sides.

Now I didn't get to see the game, had to make do with the match report and gleaning information from our two best fansites (they offer a lot of varied opinion) but the general consensus was one of disappointment, and with it an unspoken belief we're not at a level where we're (once again) ready to compete with the biggest names this league has to offer.

If you caught the Middlesbrough score today it was a real head-turner.    There's a team only going in one direction with motivation and ability in abundance.    They proved to us recently we're not at their level, but as for yourselves, you'll have a better chance of making it out of this league by end of season.     We're simply too inconsistent to properly challenge.

Just to add, if you need a striker i.e. one David McGoldrick (who is fast becoming surplus to requirement) you're more than welcome to take him off our hands. (and salary expenses)

1 hour ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

But when we're behind, it often turns into a losing situation.    Maybe fine at keeping a lead, but once the opposition get ahead, it's invariably the same story.      Not just making excuses for todays setback, we've seen it many times before - with many other club sides.

Now I didn't get to see the game, had to make do with the match report and gleaning information from our two best fansites (they offer a lot of varied opinion) but the general consensus was one of disappointment, and with it an unspoken belief we're not at a level where we're (once again) ready to compete with the biggest names this league has to offer.

If you caught the Middlesbrough score today it was a real head-turner.    There's a team only going in one direction with motivation and ability in abundance.    They proved to us recently we're not at their level, but as for yourselves, you'll have a better chance of making it out of this league by end of season.     We're simply too inconsistent to properly challenge.

Just to add, if you need a striker i.e. one David McGoldrick (who is fast becoming surplus to requirement) you're more than welcome to take him off our hands. (and salary expenses)

That's the case with quite a few teams. Did you know Derby have yet to win a game after going behind this season - our record being W0 D4 L2. 

As i mentioned, the Championship is becoming a tactical minefield where so many are looking to take the lead and play on the counter - and in our experience (both good and bad) it has worked.

Did you know - none of the top eight have lost a game after taking the lead - that's how important the first goal is these days, and sometimes games become tedius after it.

Ipswich's biggest downfall against the better sides is not scoring first. Against Boro you created three really good first-half chances to take the lead. You played better vs them than you did vs Derby.

4 hours ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

It should be, just so long as Derby have already secured promotion.

If everything hinges on the result of that game it will be a tense, scrappy affair which will make the '66 World Cup final look like a stroll in the park

6 hours ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

Your problem is simple.You need to spend more money.Your manager has worked

at the highest level,knows how to get promotion,but needs better players. Anyway

have a merry xmas,we'll see what happens in the new year.

I think Tom Ince's post-match interview sums it up perfectly.

"We played like men" he says. Completely agree with that. Everyone gave everything for the team. Everyone was prepared to fight and contribute to the cause. Although with players like Butterfield getting wound up, it demonstrates how much it means. Tempers very much on the edge, because they're giving it everything.

Players all over the pitch prepared to get back and keep that ******* ball away from our goal. Tom Ince tracked back fantastically. Chris Martin found himself on our by-line to defend too. This week has been nice. We've shown we dispose of teams we "should" beat at home, and score 4 goals. On the flip side we've also shown we can graft and battle for wins, at a very hard place like Ipswich, where many would have seen a draw as a good point. That's a really promising sign that we have more dimensions to how we play and how we ensure we get the 3 points.

11 hours ago, Gritters said:

I take my hat off to you if you do that trip every other week during the season. 

Cheers. The Tuesday night's are a bit of a killer as I work the next day but I love watching The Rams and love my season ticket. 

Archived