Ipswich Town v Derby County

Day

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol I hope MM takes this:  “Chris Martin is a solid Championship player but not much more..."

I really do find it tiresome that people quote (the same people) on this forum and then describe Derby fans as arrogant etc. 

2 hours ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Anyone had a gander towards the Ipswich forum? Do they hate us as well? 

Don't believe anyone on our forums hate you but I only use two myself.  (The official club site and TWTD).     Recall there was some ill-feeling on the last day of the season when you missed out on the play-offs by a point or so and we snuck in despite a defeat at Blackburn, but wasn't party to any of it.      Came on in actual fact to offer condolences at the time, realized there were other teams involved who had put a lot of hard work and effort into the season, and despite what others may have felt or believed, remained totally impartial and offered sympathies all the same.   

As regards tomorrows game, it represents an opportunity to see how far we have come in recent times facing off against one of the other promotion favorites.   We fell at Middlesbrough recently and many were honest enough to realize we're not quite at the level as some of the leading pack as yet, but the last few scores have been encouraging.

Home advantage could be the deciding factor and we have an enterprising attack choice right now, even if some of the other squad departments need attention.    Still not 100 per cent convinced about McCarthy's abilities, but even as a home fan, dare say a bad word about the manager, you get criticized or berated for it by other supporters (who genuinely believe he is the right name to take us forward)

Understand we meet again on the final day of this here league campaign and that fixture will surely be more important to both sides than this one, but for now, whatever occurs tomorrow let's hope for a good game with minimal intervention from the designated match official.

2 minutes ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

Don't believe anyone on our forums hate you but I only use two myself.  (The official club site and TWTD).     Recall there was some ill-feeling on the last day of the season when you missed out on the play-offs by a point or so and we snuck in despite a defeat at Blackburn, but wasn't party to any of it.      Came on in actual fact to offer condolences at the time, realized there were other teams involved who had put a lot of hard work and effort into the season, and despite what others may have felt or believed, remained totally impartial and offered sympathies all the same.   

As regards tomorrows game, it represents an opportunity to see how far we have come in recent times facing off against one of the other promotion favorites.   We fell at Middlesbrough recently and many were honest enough to realize we're not quite at the level as some of the leading pack as yet, but the last few scores have been encouraging.

Home advantage could be the deciding factor and we have an enterprising attack choice right now, even if some of the other squad departments need attention.    Still not 100 per cent convinced about McCarthy's abilities, but even as a home fan, dare say a bad word about the manager, you get criticized or berated for it by other supporters (who genuinely believe he is the right name to take us forward)

Understand we meet again on the final day of this here league campaign and that fixture will surely be more important to both sides than this one, but for now, whatever occurs tomorrow let's hope for a good game with minimal intervention from the designated match official.

But hasn't your home form been really poor lately? And we've been fairly decent away from home this season (ignoring the Forest result).

10 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

But hasn't your home form been really poor lately? And we've been fairly decent away from home this season (ignoring the Forest result).

Yes valid point, it's easy to overlook these things (we were getting carried away recently such was the uprise in fortune)

People may not be aware here, but Town have just had their best away run in the league since 2004 and on the road we have picked up a number of maximum points (even if the performances were sometimes questionable) but at Portman Road we haven't been able to fully duplicate that success or be as formidable as we would have hoped.

Guess what I was trying to put across, it's a game in front of our own support, a fine crowd is suspected, and hopes are high after recent games.    The only real evidence will be by tomorrow night but as before, let's hope for a good natured game and for those traveling down, hope you enjoy the experience.  (We're a very hospitable club)

Tough game this, we may need two goals to win it. If we score first then we will win. Very difficult team choice for Saturday. I cannot pick the right team with any degree of confidence. Clement expects us to win it and we probably will win it. Clement simply has more idea what to do to not lose games and how to win them. He cannot be expected to cover the possibility of someone dropping a clanger but all things being equal, Ipswich have won 3 out of their 10 home games so far and we are better than them..

I honestly believe that with the other games this week and next, a point would be  a very decent result for us. But I am not optimistic I must say. We don't exactly have a great record there do we ? And their all action pressing game, combined with their very direct counter attacking style, is just the thing to see our downfall imho. Fingers crossed, of course, but....

This is a game which will really test PC's tactical nous...gonna be interesting to see what's what.

The only part of the team I will predict with any confidence is the back 5. Carson still ruled out - and its a good job we didn't get rid of Grant.

As for the rest, if it wasn't Ipswich, I'd like to see

Thorne   Butterfield
   Weimann    Ince    Russell
                     Bent

Harsh on Johnson, but he's had a poor few games, in my opinion. Hendrick isn't the right player for 2 holding, as we saw against Brizzle, and I think Butterfield would be better at linking Thorne with the 3 behind Bent, and those two are fantastic at those through balls that Bent would thrive on.

However, I think we'll return to 4-3-3. 

Thorne
           Butterfield Johnson
        Ince        Martin     Russell

Archived