Ipswich Town v Derby County

Day

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, davenportram said:

we've only lost twice so we must have come from behind to draw a few, or actually only been behind a couple of times. That's still impressive

Been behind in 6 games, losing 2 and drawing the other 4.

Yet to come from behind and win, but if you're rarely behind I don't suppose you get much chance to do so.

32 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I do... Blamed our fans for getting behind the team. Said the milwall fans would give us a hard time, and oh boy was he right about that. 

A disgraceful episode that he's probably still not ashamed of.

Always pleased to beat Mick McCarthy teams. Nice to do it playing them at their own game too.

13 minutes ago, eddie said:

I did get the Crimble shopping done apart from the Memsahib's prezzies (she was with me today) - and the Cornish Pasty shop in Intu had a 'buy five, get one free' offer on too which had to be taken advantage of.

Do people still go to shops for xmas presents?

I didn't think we'd win today, but my instincts were proved wrong.

As a distant plastic I can't comment beyond the illuminating coverage of radio derby, but really glad we got three points.

Onto Fulham (where me and my Viking warrior queen will be in attendance) with nothing but optimism.

Did Warnock get battered as much as radio derby made out? Did Butterfield really start trying to tackle with his head (innovative technique??)

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Do people still go to shops for xmas presents?

The odd thing. 90% of our stuff comes from the magical kingdom of the tinternets, but I wouldn't use it for food shopping. Well, not meat or veggies anyway.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

As a distant plastic I can't comment beyond the illuminating coverage of radio derby, but really glad we got three points.

Onto Fulham (where me and my Viking warrior queen will be in attendance) with nothing but optimism.

Did Warnock get battered as much as radio derby made out? Did Butterfield really start trying to tackle with his head (innovative technique??)

Warnock did get a bit of a kicking but I reckon he likes his football like that...

Butterfield made me smile, yes he did appear to attempt to tackle with his head. He was stumbling and decided to just chuck himself at the Ipswich player to try to stop the clearance. 100% commitment - got a kick in his head and a booking for his trouble

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Warnock was in the wars again. Think he took a stud to his previously injured ribs at least twice. And the Butterfield incident was so silly. He did a John Terry esque diving header to tackle the ball, the Ipswich player got their first and on the follow through his foot caught Butterfield. Butterfield got up, pushed him and squared up to him, got booked and then grabbed the ref's arm. He was very lucky not to get sent off for being aggressive towards the ref.

Professional display. Not pretty to watch, but result in the bag. 

Grant - 6 - Little to do. Again. 

Christie - 8 - Felt he was brilliant. 

Shackell - 8 - A rock again. 

Keogh - 8 - Imperious display as usual. POTY so far in my opinion.

Warnock - 7 - Warrior. 

Thorne - 6 - Passing was iffy but solid enough.

Johnson - 6 - 100% effort, quality was hit and miss. 

Butterfield - 6 - Quiet. Nice to see him get animated though and good clearance off the line.

Ince - 7 - Grafted throughout, full of running. We're seeing the real Tom Ince now, I hope. 

Russell - 7 - Better from JR. Tireless. 

Martin - 6 - Worked hard. Not really a goal threat.

I like Clement.

What's not to like?

He's a smooth operator in every respect. We are winning games and getting results. He also comes across as very clever, very collected and very balanced in the media. 

He is doing a fantastic job, but I do feel sorry for him because he won't get the credit and adoration he deserves until we are competing in the Premier League.

We are meeting expectations. We've spent in the region of £20 million and assembled a squad that were more or less expected to compete for automatic promotion. And here we are.

It's worth pointing out that there is a long way to go yet and as we've seen all too often in the past, there is no such thing as a certainty in football. It is easier said than done to spend £20 million and meet expectations. Other clubs have thrown large amounts of money around and failed to get out of the division.

But I just don't think we are going to be one of those clubs. 

I watched us against Middlesbrough back in August and to be honest, I wasn't impressed and a little underwhelmed. But over time, that kind of performance began to appear consistent with other performances against teams of a similar standard and it made me realise we are a different beast now. We are not the exciting attacking side we were under McClaren. Those days are gone. We are shrewder, more calculated, more controlled and seemingly more effective.

We have the right blend of players and the right approach to getting out of the division. We have the quality to blow teams out of the water on our best day but we are also more capable of managing a game and finding ways to get a result, especially now we have a defence which can remain steady under pressure.

Shackell has been the key signing, in my opinion. When they announced his signing, it was clear where we were heading and that we meant business. Such an intelligent move.

It was the kind of signing that makes you want to put a hammock up somewhere and only emerge from it ten months later when the champagne is being sprayed.

Of course, we are a Championship side and not the slightest bit infallible. It's football after all. But we're good. We're very good at times. It's so predictable, it's so processional at times that following the club is not as interesting as it used to be. 

I can't remember ever feeling so relaxed on a Saturday. Boooo! :lol:

I like the feeling that is starting to become almost an expectation. Ok so they've got a free-kick in a dangerous position. They've got a corner. They aren't going to score! Jeez, how refreshing is that, after years of thinking, "oh my god, please keep it out"

We are not as  exhilarating as we can be, the opposition have found ways to nullify the Derby Way, but it is great going into games thinking, "i can't see them beating us".  

I rather like it to be honest.

all the town fans moaning on tw@tter about Ince's high foot challenge and conveniently forgetting Berra did identical in the first half to Warnock. Definitely not a pen either. Butterfield tried his best to get sent off after that ridiculous head tackle thing, thought the ref did quite well to keep a lid on things when at times it could have boiled over. overall very happy with 3 points after a tough away trip where we adapted our style to suit the opponent

4 hours ago, DerbyRam! said:

At least people are getting it right tonight, we were God damn awful and against any decent side we would of been punished! Despite them not giving us an inch it doesn't excuse our inability to perform ever the most basic passes.

Ps.was their n. 14 varney? Certainly don't miss him do we

What's your excuse for your inability to write ever the most basic English ?   Would HAVE

Archived