Derby County v Bristol City

Day

We don't really have wingers... Even with all three wideish attacking players ince weimann and russell the best crosses come from the full backs. Still good to see ince do what he does best. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't be bothered to do full ratings, mainly because Bristol were so bad. 

Keogh was great... That cross he put in first half gave me a twinge in the groinal region. 

Johnson was poor, again. He really can't play that deep role. Neither can Hendrick... And when you put them together... Eurgh. 

Christie was good, in particularly in the second half. 

Weimann and Russell are so similar. Neither have much of a footballing brain, nor a consistent first touch. But when it goes right, it really does. 

Ince was obviously superb. His first goal was phenomenal. So confident to come on his right foot without hesitation. That did him the world of good and he got better from there. 

Bent was a bit meh for me. Think we can do better at this stage, just because we have to alter so much just to give him a game. He should've definitely scored though. 

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I get that we play Ipswich this weekend and need to freshen things up, but what the hell is this?

No holding midfielder? 4-4-2 with Weimann and Bent. Hendrick in a midfield two.

How does Clement expect us to get the ball from Defence ----> Attack with Hendrick/Johnson as a midfield two, and Bent and Weimann both looking for balls in behind.

Hopefully they'll prove me wrong, but this line-up looks so unbalanced.

4 hours ago, eddie said:

Bookmarked

How are the wrists holding up? Or did you bleed out before the game even started?

6 minutes ago, AnimalisaRam said:

First goal, classic Ince, take it on and great feet to just waltz on through. Not seen enough of that from him.

Thought we came out poorly in the second half. Bradley below par, just seemed to get the basics wrong, getting caught on the ball, and wasn't getting the bounce of the ball. Hendrick was anonymous for me. We improved the minute Thorne came on the pitch - more aggressive and more intelligent.

Bent played really well, was unfortunate not to score after being wrongly flagged offside, his movement caused so many problems dragging defenders away, linked up really well for Ince's 3rd.

Think Russell's goal was my favourite - was excellent from the minute Butterfield picked the pocket of the Bristol City player, showed great determination to keep going, then the vision to spread the ball to Baird, who put a great ball for Russell to finish with a bullet header.

Grant - 7 - good distribution, saved the only shot on target well. Only concern was that horror show in the first half

Warnock - 7 - don't understand how he wins so many headers. Keeps getting better, starting to show what Mac signed him for.
Shackell - 7 - unflappable. Just wish he was a bit better with the ball at his feet.
Keogh - 8 - another excellent performance, unlucky not to score. Shackell and Keogh forming one hell of a partnership.
Christie - 7 - see above, didn't really link up with either of Russell or Weimann though.

Hendrick - 5 - he played? Needs to sort himself out. Looked classy after coming back from ROI duties, has faded.
Johnson - 6 - not up to his usual standards. Sloppy. Maybe needs a game away?

Ince - 10 - Hat trick speaks for itself.
Weimann - 6 - usual endeavour, produced little, needs to work more with Warnock and Christie. Don't think its his position.
Russell - 7 - Quiet first half, came alive in the second
Bent - 8 - performance and support play deserved a goal to mark his 500th appearance.

Subs
Thorne - 8 - changed the game. Meant we weren't carrying Hendrick, better in the tackle, aggressive, accurate passing
Butterfield - 7 - didn't have all that much time, still did more than Hendrick and Johnson. Did really well for the 4th goal.
Baird - 7 - didn't have a great deal to do, good assist for Johnny.

Clement - 10. Made the right subs, at the right time. Experiment paid off.

Officials - 5. Some awful decisions. some mystifying decisions. Still don't think Bent was offside.

Thanks Animal. Saved me loads of typing. We obviously went to the same game. ? 

I am still bemused by one decision. A free kick given against Warnock early in the first half . His opponent had his arm round his neck and pulled him down 2 feet in front of the Lino and the free went against us. If I'd had my free tea I would have spluttered in it, but I didn't so I said something rude instead. 

Anyway, I had a feeling Fielding was going to bottle it today, and he did. Take nothing away from us though, Ince especially just sent their defence for hotdogs and frightened the life out of old Frankie. It's not surprising he had a mental breakdown when he was watching such a poor defence attempt to shield him. They left him high and dry, poor lad.

2 minutes ago, jono said:

Thanks Animal. Saved me loads of typing. We obviously went to the same game. ? 

I am still bemused by one decision. A free kick given against Warnock early in the first half . His opponent had his arm round his neck and pulled him down 2 feet in front of the Lino and the free went against us. If I'd had my free tea I would have spluttered in it, but I didn't so I said something rude instead. 

Yep. That one got me too.

Think the other one was when Ince was fouled, ignored by the lino, then did the same to a Brizzle player and was penalised for it..

3 minutes ago, AnimalisaRam said:

Bent played really well, was unfortunate not to score after being wrongly flagged offside, his movement caused so many problems dragging defenders away, linked up really well for Ince's 3rd.

Warnock - 7 - don't understand how he wins so many headers. Keeps getting better, starting to show what Mac signed him for.

Bent - 8 - performance and support play deserved a goal to mark his 500th appearance.

It amazes me how high Warnock can jump above other players and win the ball. Really glad to see him make that position his own and prove a lot of people wrong.

Also, when I see him play I always think of a really old fashioned footballer. Put him in a time machine and he wouldnt look out of place on a 1930's pitch. The way he runs and holds himself etc.

045-0129.jpg?w=500&h=774

Also agree with comments on Bent. Yes he didnt score (what do you expect with his extremely minimal time on the pitch this season) but his all round play was far better than that of Martin in the last 6 games. His movement pulls defenders all over the shop and allows other players to make the most of the space. Bent also runs after lost causes a lot.

31 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Ince's post match interview on Rams player - basically said he prefers the number 10 role he played today as he can get further up the pitch and do more damage. When out wide he feels he struggles to find space because teams naturally shift over to the wings and he always seems to have wingers tracking back as well as full backs and midfielders sticking tight to him.

He speaks very well, you know,other than, you know, he has quite a bade case of, you know, footballer repetitive phrase syndrome. You know. 

Well I agree to most on here about Ince , he was back to his best today , 1st goal was a peech, using both feet and hitting it with his weaker foot , Star man today , but i thought the introduction of Thorne gave us more control in the midfield , Hendrick      and Johnston was not quite up to it tonight , also thought butterfield looked good when he came on , and Christee was a joy to watch at times in the second half.

13 hours ago, Bcfc_fan said:

Morning, thought I'd pop onto your forum and say hello. 

Dont take everything we say on our forum too seriously, we have a few muppets but as other comments said we had the same mind set last season as you do against us this year.

Fielding is our number one, some doubts over him though, makes some amazing saves but often gets caught out with shots from distance.

Wilbraham has just returned to the starting line up, hasn't been great this year but does the dirty work upfront and gives our new boy Kodjia a break from being battered about. 

Ill be happy with a solid point against you guys, but don't underestimate us, Boro and Hull did. 

He nailed that one!

36 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

He was pretty good at flapping at those crosses too.

Commanded his area even less well than Granty does.

I actually don't think he caught a single ball that came into his area. Even when there was no pressure on him or anyone around him, he still opted to punch.

One of the weirdest/worst goalkeeping displays I've ever seen.

Archived