Derby County v Bristol City

Day

2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

As good as that video is. 

I cant get my head around people filming the game on their phone. 

Are they a Derby fan? Cos if I was holding my phone through that once that ball hit the back of the net id be celebrating. 

It's his choice. Proper Derby fan and a great guy as well. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Mafiabob. My son is a referee and I know some quite senior officials in other areas and know their views of poor ego-centric, badly-performing officials. You did not read what I said. The referees exasperate the crowd and they appear to be getting worse. You can drop a player, sack a manager but not even criticise officials - how to we deal with this? Does this re-phrase the post?

@Lokidoki you've changed your tune a bit.... So you're now saying that there's some ego centric referees....

Im sure there's plenty of managers and players that are the same...

Take a look at what you originally written... You've said the biggest problem is referees not getting decisions correct.... I'm sure your son would agree with me they can't get everyone right... 

Referees are not the problem... The standard of refereeing as not fallen in decades.... The scrutiny has risen dramatically to the point every phase of play is talked about relentlessly for weeks....

Its the win at all costs mentality that's the problem with football... 

Not the referee exasperating the crowd because they made a mistake....

the last line you said has just stood out for me.... You can't criticise referees... Week in Week out they get it in the ear from all walks of the game... 

Do you criticise your son when he makes a mistake?

Referees make bad calls... So do players and managers....

Where do you want to stop? When referees are sacked? Whose going to replace that ref, then when they get a decision one and they get sacked again?

You really think there's a conveyor belt of officials coming through... Unfortunately when I left refereeing was on the decline....

You say what needs to be done....

Mic the refs up, Take timekeeping away from them in Pro Leagues...

Bit more respect all of a sudden...

Make it a bit more lucrative for young lad and lasses (17/18) ie with the crazy amounts of cash in football make it full time at that age with a salary of say 15/16k... On the condition they officiate plenty of games... Fitness tests, educate etc....

Also have the youth academy players out there refereeing u7/8/9/10 games on a Sunday morning as there is a constant struggle to fill these games with refs....

Referees are not the problem with football.... To say so is such folly and to say it's because some are ego centric as the base of your argument on why referees are the problem is quite plainly.... Daft

On Hendrick, I wouldn't be too harsh on him last night. He's not and never will be a defensive midfielder. He's barely a box to box midfielder. He's at his best when given the least amount of responsibility. 

He's an attacking midfielder. 100%. It's like Chelsea asking Oscar to play DM. 

It's his size that convinces the last 3 managers to give him a go there. But has he ever put in a good defensive performance. 

Like Ince, it's the last 25-30 yrds before he becomes useful. Don't expect anything before that and you won't be disappointed. 

@Mafiabob

I haven't changed any tune BTW -  just soliciting debate. 

"they can't get everyone right..." but one expects at least 80% of the important decisions. My son has a season ticket with me and totally agreed. And the same about QPR and Cardiff match officials

"Its the win at all costs mentality that's the problem with football..." Isn't this the case with all sports? By far the greatest sport is soccer (to differentiate form other football games). It's the problem with the human race mate.

"Unfortunately when I left refereeing was on the decline...." - I assume you meant the profession and not you... noted

My Point: We have many young refs, unfortunately what is missing is mentoring and support from their senior colleagues. I have a friend who is a senior referee assessor but in a southern county, it's amazing to have pointed out obvious positioning problems during a match. Basic stuff really.  I haven't seen a referee coach juniors in our area, so how can they progress? Show me a personal development plan for a referee in most parts of the UK?

"You say what needs to be done...." I ask what needs to be done. I am soliciting a response not proffering a solution.

"Mic the refs up, Take timekeeping away from them in Pro Leagues..." Now that's what i was soliciting; good point, now how do we make it happen, because we need to. 

"Make it a bit more lucrative..." and again good point. 

"Also have the youth academy players..."  Might be a good idea not forgetting that they need weeks of training.

"Referees are not the problem with football...." This I totally disagree with. they are beholding to no-one; bit like the FA. I suggest an interview with a referee after the game may make them more aware; questions like - "Why did you allow the goalkeeper a full two minutes to take a goal kick, when there wasn't an injury?", "Why did you not instruct the player to leave the pitch?"  and "Why did you not listen to your linesman (assistant) when all the crowd appeared to agree with him/her?"

Reasonable debate is a lot more interesting than straight guns blazing criticism.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

On Hendrick, I wouldn't be too harsh on him last night. He's not and never will be a defensive midfielder. He's barely a box to box midfielder. He's at his best when given the least amount of responsibility. 

He's an attacking midfielder. 100%. It's like Chelsea asking Oscar to play DM. 

It's his size that convinces the last 3 managers to give him a go there. But has he ever put in a good defensive performance. 

Like Ince, it's the last 25-30 yrds before he becomes useful. Don't expect anything before that and you won't be disappointed. 

It's funny that nearly everyone who went to the game has come on and said how poor and anonymous Hendrick was last night. But if you were to believe RD, you'd think he had a great game and was unlucky to come off. They were telling everyone how well he was playing, with Owen Bradley saying how unusually comfortable he was looking in that role. Ramage was shocked when he was brought off.

I said I would come back and give thoughts so will do.

Bear with me I haven't read a single thing you've written and only got home at 12:30am last night.

Only post match I've seen is Cotterill's interview where he is quite rightfully livid. Because I know I fking was walking out...

So here we go...

Jesus H fking Christ though where do I start...

i read your Brighton feedback and I can't say I share the negative views.

i thought aside from the shitty portacabin to get the ticket (how does it take three of them to do one ticket sale???) the rest of the stadium experience was absolutely fine.

Toilets aren't the Ritz but fk me it's a football ground not a night out at the opera.

Great view. I do like the home fans being that close to the away end. I would have enjoyed it a shitload more if we hadn't been 0-4 but that's a super idea and I thought atmosphere from the stand we were in was great.

Your other stands? Hmmm dunno there. Never seen so many early leavers at 4-0 before but whatever...

So I went there thinking right. Maybe put 4 at the back but at least play Kodjia up front with Agard behind him where we have pace in attack on the break.

Walk into the stadium to see 4-5-1 with Agard on his own and I thought well if Derby score then we are fked.

it was a stupid decision by Cotterill. I get he is resting players for QPR at home but for us to travel that far north to see us play that side and that formation fking stupid...

In saying that I thought we weathered it reasonably ok for 40 mins. Yeah Bent was put through and given offside and I'm not sure he was, then they hit the bar but I thought this ain't that bad. We even hit the post...

Falling behind just before HT was a blow. Superb goal though. People are blaming Frankie. I think he was at fault for the 2nd (ignoring the fact Pack the stupid cnt gives the ball away in the middle then does fk all to track back) and the 3rd but I don't think he could have stopped 1st or 4th.

Still we came out ok and could have done better but we were too slow at times (see my point on no fast option in Kodjia to break) and once we went 2-0 down that was it.

i thought Derby looked a very decent side which is what I expected and it's frustrating for me we played the formation we did. I thought we could and should have done better than that.

Ince though - super player.

Also I never really rated Keogh at City. I thought he was a liability. Obviously his game has come on tremendously since I saw him too.

All in all, the result aside I enjoyed the atmosphere a lot.

The last 20 mins though I sat with my arms folded as people to my left bounced up and down annoyingly.

0-4.

As an old teacher once said "You can't have the rainbow without the rain"

Football eh?

13 minutes ago, ben_dcfc said:

It's funny that nearly everyone who went to the game has come on and said how poor and anonymous Hendrick was last night. But if you were to believe RD, you'd think he had a great game and was unlucky to come off. They were telling everyone how well he was playing, with Owen Bradley saying how unusually comfortable he was looking in that role. Ramage was shocked when he was brought off.

Maybe that's why Ed Dawes was taking the mick out of Ramage for saying Hendrick played well?

Although Ed does act like an abusive spouse to Ramage anyway.

Forgot to add this morning first bloke i see in work (most support Watford or Arsenal) is the lad from Nottingham....

"4-0? How have you lost 4-0 to that bunch of sheep shagging knob jockeys?"

"Mate we were awful but they are a very decent side"

"********"

"they are. They're a good shout to go up. They'll finish higher than you"

"Mate European cups. Twice. Have Derby won that? Have they fk."

This lad is 22.....

i walked off 

9 minutes ago, ben_dcfc said:

Surprised by that. Thought Johnson showed more. He probably made more errors but he did more right too. Tracked runners, harassed people, backed up attacks, won headers. Typical bully performance. 

Maybe need to watch it again but apart from the cross to Bent I thought Jeff just tagged along. Which he will do unless you give him the ball in the final 3rd where he finds some real motivation.

31 minutes ago, Kaiser-BCFC said:

Forgot to add this morning first bloke i see in work (most support Watford or Arsenal) is the lad from Nottingham....

"they are. They're a good shout to go up. They'll finish higher than you"

Bloody hell that's some prediction, don't happen to have the lottery numbers for this weekend while you're at it do you? :lol:

1 hour ago, Kaiser-BCFC said:

I said I would come back and give thoughts so will do.

Bear with me I haven't read a single thing you've written and only got home at 12:30am last night.

Only post match I've seen is Cotterill's interview where he is quite rightfully livid. Because I know I fking was walking out...

So here we go...

Jesus H fking Christ though where do I start...

i read your Brighton feedback and I can't say I share the negative views.

i thought aside from the shitty portacabin to get the ticket (how does it take three of them to do one ticket sale???) the rest of the stadium experience was absolutely fine.

Toilets aren't the Ritz but fk me it's a football ground not a night out at the opera.

Great view. I do like the home fans being that close to the away end. I would have enjoyed it a shitload more if we hadn't been 0-4 but that's a super idea and I thought atmosphere from the stand we were in was great.

Your other stands? Hmmm dunno there. Never seen so many early leavers at 4-0 before but whatever...

So I went there thinking right. Maybe put 4 at the back but at least play Kodjia up front with Agard behind him where we have pace in attack on the break.

Walk into the stadium to see 4-5-1 with Agard on his own and I thought well if Derby score then we are fked.

it was a stupid decision by Cotterill. I get he is resting players for QPR at home but for us to travel that far north to see us play that side and that formation fking stupid...

In saying that I thought we weathered it reasonably ok for 40 mins. Yeah Bent was put through and given offside and I'm not sure he was, then they hit the bar but I thought this ain't that bad. We even hit the post...

Falling behind just before HT was a blow. Superb goal though. People are blaming Frankie. I think he was at fault for the 2nd (ignoring the fact Pack the stupid cnt gives the ball away in the middle then does fk all to track back) and the 3rd but I don't think he could have stopped 1st or 4th.

Still we came out ok and could have done better but we were too slow at times (see my point on no fast option in Kodjia to break) and once we went 2-0 down that was it.

i thought Derby looked a very decent side which is what I expected and it's frustrating for me we played the formation we did. I thought we could and should have done better than that.

Ince though - super player.

Also I never really rated Keogh at City. I thought he was a liability. Obviously his game has come on tremendously since I saw him too.

All in all, the result aside I enjoyed the atmosphere a lot.

The last 20 mins though I sat with my arms folded as people to my left bounced up and down annoyingly.

0-4.

As an old teacher once said "You can't have the rainbow without the rain"

Football eh?

Good read - good luck for the rest of the season. 

13 hours ago, CBE said:

Dull game, dull performance only aided by two deflections/poor keeping. We have hardly turned the corner, the midfield problems and who to play up front will still be with us in the New Year.

88 posts at a rough average of less than one a week - we should all be treated to gems like this more often!

One thing I did notice on Tuesday night and forgot to mention was something that happened just before Jeff got subbed off. He got a bit mardy at something Keogh said to him and had a bit of a rant back and then Shackle said something to him and he fired back at him as well. I don't know if that is one of the reasons he was took off but he didn't look happy.

Archived