Derby County v Bristol City

Day

1 hour ago, top 6 finish said:

You should have bookmarked his post when he confidently predicted

Clement would be gone by Christmas. I'm still waiting for him to tell us

who will manage us in January.

I did have a bet with one chap who said the same thing. My favourite charity was the winner.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CBE said:

Dull game, dull performance only aided by two deflections/poor keeping. We have hardly turned the corner, the midfield problems and who to play up front will still be with us in the New Year.

Geez, how many points are we going to get once we turn that imaginary corner!

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Grant 8- I can only remember him doing 2 things. Smothering a shot in the first half and getting a good punch on a corner in the second. For the most part he could have pulled up a chair and read the paper. One of the easiest nights he will have. 

Forgetting him flapping around on the floor like a wet fish after the ball hit the post and was eventually cleared?

Just quickly

Grant - 7 - Didnt have much to do

Cafu - 8 - Not as much going forward as usual, but excellent defensively

Keogh - 8 - Standard Keogh

Shackell - 8 - Standard Shackell

Warnock - 7 - Got up and down the left side all night and played well

Johnson - 7 - Was the dominating influence in midfield

Hendrick - 5 - Seemed to start brightly, then went missing again

Ince - 10 - This is the Ince we want to see every week

Weimann - 6 - Might be a bit harsh, but was definitely the quietest of the attackers

Russell - 8 - Worked hard, didnt achieve a whole lot till his goal.

Bent - 7 - Kept there defence busy, wrongly offside for a chance he probably would have scored

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 08:22, super rams said:

Lets be honest if a team is looking for automatic promotion then you would expect that team to beat the likes of Bristol City, especially at home............After all they are sitting 19th and with half the points total of us.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 09:12, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You aren't setting us up for a fall are you super rams? :thumbsup:

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 09:20, SaintRam said:

"Expecting" us to win in almost every game in the Championship is a dangerous thing to do, and just leads to posting ridiculous things when we draw. 

Why is it TSP and SaintRam have little faith in us beating a very average championship side in Bristol City?

I thought we were as poor as we've been for weeks in the first half. I felt the experimental team selection and system had failed. But Tom Ince's magic feet left me more cheery at half time. Bristol City seemed to get a foothold in the game second half but a Fielding error practically ended any brief hopes of getting anything from the game, and then we finally looked a side to cherish once Thorne and Butterfield were introduced. The last half an hour really cheered me and I left the ground part thinking Clement's a genius and Ince brilliant in a free role. But again, the back four were rock solid for the most part. It's as good as it's been in a long time, being a Ram right now. 

Grant - Little to do - 7 

Christie - Back to his best - 8 

Keogh - Generic Keogh display, brilliant - 8 

Shackell - Solid as ever - 7 

Warnock - I don't miss Forsyth, which speaks volumes - 8 

Johnson - Been average for a while now, but always involved - 6 

Hendrick - Bright start but went AWOL, hardly pressed his claims for a run in the side - 5 

Ince - As brilliant as he has recently been woeful, needs consistency, MOTM - 9 

Weimann - Striker playing out wide - 6 

Bent - First start for months, looked the part to me - 7 

Russell - Standard from JR, great leap for his goal - 7 

Thorne - Majestic footballer, much better than recent games - 7 

Butterfield - Showed Hendrick why he's winning that battle for a shirt, superb energy - 7 

Baird - Did well, great cross, top pro - 7 

Bring on Ipswich. 

8 minutes ago, super rams said:

Why is it TSP and SaintRam have little faith in us beating a very average championship side in Bristol City?

Ignore the rest of the conversation, which ended in you no longer having a response to point out what both TSP and I already said we expected to happen? 

I figured you got the point of what I was trying to say when you slunk away and didn't respond, but I guess you're still letting everything fly over your head. 

Thought Bristol frustrated the hell out of us for the first hour. Ince's goal and the Bent header apart, they hit the post and had a clear opportunity from an edge of the box free kick before our substitutions really turned the game. So, 4-0, points gained on the leaders, excellent pie of the day at the Dolphin and a decent journey back up the M1 made for an enjoyable day out. Oh, I forgot to claim my free tea - does Mel deliver?

3 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Great to see Bent given a start and he didn't disappoint we now have a plan B,but still involves thorne. Let's hope the result PEPs up the squad ready for Ipswich a real chance for us to top the table over Christmas and re install completion for places that had become a little predictable

100% agree .. we have tinkered with player choices but never really adopted a visibly different set up until last night. It worked very well for the last 30 mins and Thorne was the key (. I actually think Hanson could play Thorne'smore defensive roll as a back up while I think the other mids are maybe a bit too attack minded and get under each others feet )

it really looked like 4411 with Weiman (Butterfield ) and Russell as wingers. Another question is, with Ince as a free 10 .. can Martin do a Bent or is he going to be best as is .. i.e. with 2 attacking mids feeding off his hold and spread game ?

52 minutes ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Thought Bristol frustrated the hell out of us for the first hour. Ince's goal and the Bent header apart, they hit the post and had a clear opportunity from an edge of the box free kick before our substitutions really turned the game. So, 4-0, points gained on the leaders, excellent pie of the day at the Dolphin and a decent journey back up the M1 made for an enjoyable day out. Oh, I forgot to claim my free tea - does Mel deliver?

No, just lamb, chicken and fish.

The old ones are the best.

Reading through here you'd have thought we just lost 1-0 to Forest....

How times change from a few seasons ago... 

Midfield a problem? You could have Kieran Freeman, kacimerciak or Lee Johnson there.... 

44 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

As good as that video is. 

I cant get my head around people filming the game on their phone. 

Are they a Derby fan? Cos if I was holding my phone through that once that ball hit the back of the net id be celebrating. 

The fella that filmed that goes home and away and takes his disabled mam with him and is also the son of Dougie the badge man. He puts videos up after every game and loads of pictures.

7 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Very easy game last night. You can only beat whats infront of you.

Grant 8- I can only remember him doing 2 things. Smothering a shot in the first half and getting a good punch on a corner in the second. For the most part he could have pulled up a chair and read the paper. One of the easiest nights he will have. 

Christie 9- I thought he was brilliant last night. 

Keogh 8- Easy nights work. Is the fact that Grant has nothing to do a testament to good defending? Or that Bristol City were woeful. Maybe a bit of both. 

Shackell 8- Same as Keogh. 

Warnock 8- Solid as per usual. Got forward as well. 

Johnson 6- Not the best night for Bradley last night. But he works his socks off and never shys away. 

Hendrick 5- Anonymous. Again done absolutely nothing to suggest he warrants a start. If Bryson gets fit and with Hughes nearing fitness id consider selling him. 

Russell 8- I thought Russell was very good last night. Purposeful running. Didnt give it away really. Topped off with a brilliant header. 

Weimann 7- Was ok last night. Didnt do a massive amount. But does work very hard. 

Ince 10- His first career hat trick. He deserves a 10 for that alone. His first goal was so so good. His work rate was superb as well. Tracked back and won the ball back several times. 

Bent 7- I find it so hard to judge Bent. He only had 1 chance last night and hit the bar. But he didnt get much service from midfield or get the balls that he thrives on. Very good and clever off the ball running to create space for others though. 

Subs- 

Baird 7- Solid and a good cross for Russell to get the 4th.

Thorne 7- Just oozes class and added some steel and control to our midfield. 

Butterfield 8- I thought he was brilliant in the 15 minutes he was on. Deserves an 8 for that run alone. 

All in all a straight forward nights work. Good we can rest a few. On to a very tricky game at Ipswich..

I'd take 1 mark off all these except the subs.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

As good as that video is. 

I cant get my head around people filming the game on their phone. 

Are they a Derby fan? Cos if I was holding my phone through that once that ball hit the back of the net id be celebrating. 

I have these same feelings. Does the person do the whole game? Did they just get lucky with the goal?

When I'm filming my kids playing or whatever, I get the feeling I'm missing out - on the outside looking in. Surely that's the same as filming the match.

One thing that appears to be a common thread in a lot of the posts is the concern of the apparent exasperation of the crowd at certain times. 

OK we all get frustrated when passes go awry and perhaps Johnson was the biggest culprit last night (they all can have off nights so let's excuse him) but the players are not in my observation the biggest problem. It is the officials.

Far too often the officials are not reading the game, missing blatant and obvious fouls such as handling and getting decisions such as off-sides incredibly wrong  as with Bent's last night. Most concerning is that the big matches and the TV matches are turning out to be the worst.

Time-wasting is a big problem and a lot of teams stop Derby's open play by feigning injury and recent matches such as Brighton, Cardiff and QPR are great examples. The questions are  how do we manage this as a club and  as supporters, how should we react?

13 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

One thing that appears to be a common thread in a lot of the posts is the concern of the apparent exasperation of the crowd at certain times. 

OK we all get frustrated when passes go awry and perhaps Johnson was the biggest culprit last night (they all can have off nights so let's excuse him) but the players are not in my observation the biggest problem. It is the officials.

Far too often the officials are not reading the game, missing blatant and obvious fouls such as handling and getting decisions such as off-sides incredibly wrong  as with Bent's last night. Most concerning is that the big matches and the TV matches are turning out to be the worst.

Time-wasting is a big problem and a lot of teams stop Derby's open play by feigning injury and recent matches such as Brighton, Cardiff and QPR are great examples. The questions are  how do we manage this as a club and  as supporters, how should we react?

That is quite frankly... The biggest load of tripe about referees I've heard in a long time....

Looks like someone has swallowed the media myth that it's always the referees that costs teams....

Referees make mistakes... Only human.... 

Players make mistakes... Only human....

managers make mistakes.... Only human.

Just a shame some swallow the managers line post match when they blame a referee etc... To hid their own failings.

The biggest copout any fan gives is to blame a referee....

They get things wrong.... No doubt... 

Archived