Nottingham Forest v Derby County

Chris Mills

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone's an expert with the benefit of hindsight. 

What disappoints me is the fans who will let this result colour their opinion of all the good work that's been building all season. Things were on the up at the club on Thursday and they still are today. 

We turned up thinking this was going to  be a stroll, never showed the desire that they did (apart in my opinion from Warnock) and worrying only 2 shots on goal, this should be a wake up call that you cannot take any team lightly, no matter who they are.The next few games will show us how good/bad  we are in Hull and Wednesday, even cardiff on their day, lets see how the much dammage is done today with the other results

10 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Didn't go our way from kick-off, conceding an early goal was the best thing that could have happened for Forest. Allowed them to settle and it all played into their hands, particularly as Thorne and Martin had bad nights. 

Looked tired and we never properly regrouped after the goal. We've often had patchy half's this season and then come back out in the second with a real sense of purpose and pace. Didn't happen tonight and It all just petered out. Forest much better nice they got on the break and had more energy.

On a different note, I was quietly watching the game with a few mates in a nearly empty pub in Loughborough tonight. As far as I was aware, I was the only Derby fan there and there were around 5 Forest fans. 4 of them were perfectly reasonable blokes, but one of them was shouting and swearing extremely loudly. All 3 of us are 18 and he was in his late 20's

When I said to my mate, 'good tackle' after a Thorne challenge, he loudly told me to **** off. He got up in my face for the rest of the game (loudly 'waay'ing shots that went over and stuff like that), despite me not replying or directly contacting him at all. At the final whistle he loudly shouted '******* shut up you sheep shagging cnut' pretty much 30 centimetres from my face (which was odd considering I hadn't said anything) and me and my mates got up and left our regular 2 hours earlier than we planned.

No real plot or point to this story, just a very unpleasant and unnecessary situation I've never really encountered before. I'm not particularly upset or angry but just sort of irritating I couldn't watch the game in peace.

I feel for you mate. Cannot stand fans, ours or any other that act in such a way just cos of football. All human decency and manners disappear. Says more about them then you. At least you had the moral victory.

We need to learn from last night,we are the big fish in this league and we are going to be many teams "cup final" from now till May if we are serious about promotion. Lacked energy all around the pitch,so early goal killed any game plan to keep it tight and hopefully nick a goal.Physically we weren't up to chasing the game.Our reliance on Martin to always play well and be involved is still a worry,for the 3rd consecutive season.However we're in a perfect position coming into the winter period,and as long as last night's lessons are learnt,its onwards & upwards....

Ratings v forest

Carson 7/10 Continues to be solid

Christie 4/10 Sorry but he is not a promotion winning right back.No composure on the ball,looks a nervous wreck when he's defending. Has the odd stand out game (v Rotherham) when we are not being asked any questions defensively but for me it's got to be Baird in there.Much more reliable

Warnock 7/10 Solid game but had some problems with Ward first 30 minutes.Not sure he will be the answer for a whole season.Fitness worry

Keogh 6/10 Usual last ditch but too late tackle for the goal.Has definitely improved this season but always a mistake waiting to surface

Shackell 7/10 Solid as usual 

Thorne 6/10 Still not running the show as he should be.Different class to most midfielder in the Championship but still not 100% fit.Worry is will he ever regain full fitness after his injuries.Tried too hard last night,looks better when he keeps things simple

Johnson 6/10 Another who tried too hard last night with his passing.3rd game in a week took its toll in 2nd half.Proper player though and a fantastic signing

Hendrick 6/10 Was great when he got the ball,but that was far too rarely.

Weimman 5/10 Another strange performance from a strange player....what is he?Sometimes he needs to stop running and make himself a target for his team mates,be braver and feel a defender behind him.

Martin 5/10 Out muscled,out thought,out manoeuvred.

Russell 4/10 Headless chicken performance. Pass completion must be as low as 20%.Kept working hard but zero end product

Subs

Ince 6/10 Tried to create but will always be a better player when DERBY are leading a game and the opposition leave gaps.Must play when fit though,different class to Weimman and Russell

Butterfield 5/10 Made no difference when came on & never stayed out wide when told to in 4-4-2 formation

Bent 5/10 Not given enough time.Should have been on for Martin after an hour

14 hours ago, satty atwal said:

No excuse.... worst overall performance since the dark days of jewell..... 

Crawley Town

Ssausagehorpe United

Pompey in the cup this season

Peterborough away

Almost any game against Leicester under Clough

Forest 5-2

Reading last game of last season

Forest at home last season

Bloody hell, I know we're disappointed with that last night, but that's probably not even in the top 30 worst performances since Jewell left.

Never really got control of the game last night,but this is only second defeat of the season ,still believe , we will be were we need to be at end of the season ,so no need to panic,remember when we beat the red scum in 1979 4 1 , and we were awful that season and Notts were flying high,also remember the cup game in 82 or 83 when we we're struggling in the second division, and Notts were second in the the first division, great goal by Archie that night from a free kick if I remember correctly, and we won 2 0 , So as you all see results against your local rivals , very rarely shape the season.We are still in such a better place than Notts,let them enjoy there cup final victory last night lol, we have much bigger fish to fry this season.

i woke up growling, so here you go, my balanced analysis of last night's match after sleeping on it.

Forest wanted it more, they were bullying us off the ball all over the pitch.  The effort was not there until in the dying minutes.  The midfield was being overrun right from the start and Clement did nothing about it.  The movement and passing was horrendous, no passion, no focus, no grit, no character and there is no excuse for it.  It's not the worst i have seen us play but it comes close for the sheer lack of effort and on the day ability.  That idiot Fawaz taunts us now and we deserve it.

Clearly i am not over this yet

A-tree-frog-clutches-a-le-011.jpg

Reality check, if we (and I expect) do go up... This fixture will be a friendly at the start of next season.

2 losses in 16... We had an off day, they had to play to there max to beat us on an off day...

The celebrations after kind of proved it

Totally agree with Ramit. All pretty stuff going forward but then everything was wrong. Distribution, aggression lacking. Though we had most possession Forest looked far more dangerous. It will be interesting to see how we fare in the next match and if we can bounce back

We are top of the league,We are top of the league,

What a chant to sing at the city ground,sadly not.,A    great week end ruined. Nailed on point at least,it is the most confident

i have ever been at the city ground,Christie was poor-Hendrick seemed ready for his international break,-Russell struggled all match---Weiman like a rabbit caught in headlights---Martin bullied by Hobbs n Mills with no help from any body.

Forest were playing out of their skin,,No worries 9 million pounds worth on the bench,plus Bent, baird and pearce.we will step up a gear in second half,But the same players run round headless for most of the second  half     ,at last Ince and Butterfield brought on still no shots on goal ,And then with all else failing a man brought to bring us goals Bent  is brought on with ten minutes to go.Just beginning to stretch his legs,when the whistle goes,

If we are afraid to make changes .early,then put academy players on the bench.

I read that Kevin Phillips is giving the players shooting practice ,struggling to see many on target last night.

Forest put their lives on the line,We tried to avoid injuries,,We have a lot of very hard games this season,

I hope valuable lessons have been learned,we are a valuable scalp ,

It is going to be a long two weeks

It reminded me of the Leeds defeat.

I don't think it's the end of the world. We showed a fantastic tempo on Tuesday night and I just thought this performance was the hangover from that. 

We're still comfortably within the top six regardless of what happens today. 

I would make sure the response is in the correct manner. 

Not too concerned about last night's result looking at the big picture. We are still a point better off than at this stage last season, on the same points as Bournemouth were at this stage who were top of the league and the odd bad performance over a marathon 46 game season is to be expected and especially after having 3 games in the space of 6 days. In sport anyone can have an off day for example Serena Williams who lost o Roberta Vinci in the semi finals of the US Open. She was nailed on to win that match. Did it make me think any less of her as a player? No. She was the best player of this year by a country mile and had one poor game. I still think that with the players that we have, the manager, depth in squad and resources we will finnish top 2. Like Serena I think we will win most of the time but like her US Open exit we will have the odd surprise loss as well. That is sport for you. No team or individual wins all the time however great they are! 

1 hour ago, trevor1946 said:

We are top of the league,We are top of the league,

What a chant to sing at the city ground,sadly not.,A    great week end ruined. Nailed on point at least,it is the most confident

i have ever been at the city ground,Christie was poor-Hendrick seemed ready for his international break,-Russell struggled all match---Weiman like a rabbit caught in headlights---Martin bullied by Hobbs n Mills with no help from any body.

Forest were playing out of their skin,,No worries 9 million pounds worth on the bench,plus Bent, baird and pearce.we will step up a gear in second half,But the same players run round headless for most of the second  half     ,at last Ince and Butterfield brought on still no shots on goal ,And then with all else failing a man brought to bring us goals Bent  is brought on with ten minutes to go.Just beginning to stretch his legs,when the whistle goes,

If we are afraid to make changes .early,then put academy players on the bench.

I read that Kevin Phillips is giving the players shooting practice ,struggling to see many on target last night.

Forest put their lives on the line,We tried to avoid injuries,,We have a lot of very hard games this season,

I hope valuable lessons have been learned,we are a valuable scalp ,

It is going to be a long two weeks

We apparently came out of the game without injuries. Best plus point made so far, trevor1946

Quick summary:

Best two players - Warnock & Shackell - both solid and Warnock looked alright going forward too!

Worst two players - Christie & Russell - didn't offer anything really. The right side felt a bit stifled, probably why Warnock found himself in so much room all the time.

Other things - Matin didn't look like he believed he could score last night, I think that impacts the whole team. We moved the ball too slowly and just played in front of their defence. For that style of play we should have played Butters over Hendrick.

Also thought Thorne and Johnson both wanted to play that holding role too much. Thorne should have took control and told Johnson to provide more attacking options.

Not getting down about it though, actually find it laughable how much of a big result that was for forest. Anyone would think they've won the league. Embarrassed for them!

2 hours ago, Baaaaailey said:

We need to learn from last night,we are the big fish in this league and we are going to be many teams "cup final" from now till May if we are serious about promotion. Lacked energy all around the pitch,so early goal killed any game plan to keep it tight and hopefully nick a goal.Physically we weren't up to chasing the game.Our reliance on Martin to always play well and be involved is still a worry,for the 3rd consecutive season.However we're in a perfect position coming into the winter period,and as long as last night's lessons are learnt,its onwards & upwards....

Ratings v forest

Carson 7/10 Continues to be solid

Christie 4/10 Sorry but he is not a promotion winning right back.No composure on the ball,looks a nervous wreck when he's defending. Has the odd stand out game (v Rotherham) when we are not being asked any questions defensively but for me it's got to be Baird in there.Much more reliable

Warnock 7/10 Solid game but had some problems with Ward first 30 minutes.Not sure he will be the answer for a whole season.Fitness worry

Keogh 6/10 Usual last ditch but too late tackle for the goal.Has definitely improved this season but always a mistake waiting to surface

Shackell 7/10 Solid as usual 

Thorne 6/10 Still not running the show as he should be.Different class to most midfielder in the Championship but still not 100% fit.Worry is will he ever regain full fitness after his injuries.Tried too hard last night,looks better when he keeps things simple

Johnson 6/10 Another who tried too hard last night with his passing.3rd game in a week took its toll in 2nd half.Proper player though and a fantastic signing

Hendrick 6/10 Was great when he got the ball,but that was far too rarely.

Weimman 5/10 Another strange performance from a strange player....what is he?Sometimes he needs to stop running and make himself a target for his team mates,be braver and feel a defender behind him.

Martin 5/10 Out muscled,out thought,out manoeuvred.

Russell 4/10 Headless chicken performance. Pass completion must be as low as 20%.Kept working hard but zero end product

Subs

Ince 6/10 Tried to create but will always be a better player when DERBY are leading a game and the opposition leave gaps.Must play when fit though,different class to Weimman and Russell

Butterfield 5/10 Made no difference when came on & never stayed out wide when told to in 4-4-2 formation

Bent 5/10 Not given enough time.Should have been on for Martin after an hour

We need to work out a way to change it up so we can get maximum points when we have a fixture congestion. We haven't done it this season.

The real problem last night was that the game was set in stone after 15 minutes. We were unable to up our game and it was obvious. we continued in the same vein until 65 minutes. We just watched it unfold. I nearly switched it off at half time when we made no substitutes. Hendrick is a waste of time in a game like that. Butterfield and Ince plus anyone who had aggression needed to be on at half time. They wanted it more than us, we could not have complained if we had lost 3 - 0. A dull 0-0 would have been fine but the early goal scuppered that. This was Blackburn away with knobs on, an action replay.Another plus point is that this was not against a promotion rival which would have made it worse. Worse scenario after today is being four points adrift of three teams playing well..We let them kick us and did not kick them back. Clement wanted us to finish with 11 men, we did but no points. Good management is seeing the way the game is going and changing it.

Solutions:-

1. A very large, rawboned centre forward like John Fashanu in reserve.

2. Another bruiser for midfield with massive determination aka 'hatchet man'

3. With hindsight, put out a lot of fringe players in for likes of Rotherham and keep people more fresh for QPR and Forest. That is so obvious to me now. If our fringe players could not deal with Rotherham then get some more players.

$ Two more fullbacks required, one old head, one very strong and up and coming.

Archived