Nottingham Forest v Derby County

Chris Mills

It was obvious they'd been preparing for this game for weeks. Freedman probably thought winning this game would make up for their recent form, which will continue as normal after the international break. We treated this as any other game, they treated it as a cup final and raised their game accordingly. We'll have plenty more important games than that this season, mainly 6 pointers against our promotion rivals, whereas Forest will play every game with the intention of keeping their heads above water. Also, let's not forget Clement is still learning, so I'm sure he's picked up an awful lot from this. Onto the next one. 

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big games really have been our Achilies heel ever since Mcclaren took the reigns, any chance to really kick on or get top of the league and we bottle it. The 4-1 to Leicester (sorry if I'm bringing back painful memories to anyone) 2-1 Forest last season (More pain), playoff final. There has to be a serious mentality problem in the squad that you hoped would of vanished with the recent additions but it still lurks. Now that loss has come I can see us going on another run similar to the one just ended but come Leeds on the 28th December or whenever brace yourselves.

20 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

We need to work out a way to change it up so we can get maximum points when we have a fixture congestion. We haven't done it this season.

Nail on the head, hit., JAT

Bust a gut, you have two weeks without a game after this! Did not happen.

8 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Nail on the head, hit., JAT

Bust a gut, you have two weeks without a game after this! Did not happen.

But Hendrick, Keogh, Christie may have 2 more games before Derby's next one.

Personally, I was quite happy with the amount of effort. I simply don't buy the not trying hard enough argument. What was missing was the quality. We all know Martin can lay the ball off accurately, that Christie can put good crosses, that Hendrick and Johnson can control midfield etc

Only last night none of the  players did what they can do to the best of their abilities. It happens. There is nothing seriously wrong with ability, attitude or anything.

4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Personally, I was quite happy with the amount of effort. I simply don't buy the not trying hard enough argument. What was missing was the quality. We all know Martin can lay the ball off accurately, that Christie can put good crosses, that Hendrick and Johnson can control midfield etc

Only last night none of the  players did what they can do to the best of their abilities. It happens. There is nothing seriously wrong with ability, attitude or anything.

I have never seen Hendrick control a midfield. He is great running through but very poor keeping midfielders from bursting through into our half. Point taken about players off form and the International games which they have to play. That had escaped me A i L

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

I have never seen Hendrick control a midfield. He is great running through but very poor keeping midfielders from bursting through into our half. Point taken about players off form and the International games which they have to play. That had escaped me A i L

Fair point. I really meany Hendrick as part of a midfield that controls games.

I also don't think the international games coming up had any bearing on last night. 

Any team defending deep, as Forest did, naturally protects the goal and drifts quite narrow. 

You absolutely have to use width and pace. If you move the ball wide slowly then they'll get out to it. 

Takes some real skill to play through them and we just weren't able to. 

I don't believe they wanted to win any more than we did. I don't think it matters how much passion and effort you show if you're insisting on doing something that didn't work for 45mins, 60mins, 75min... 

We could have played that game on a 5 a side court for all the pitch we used. 

15 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I think it was one game too many... again! But we've got a big squad so we should be able to handle three games in a week. 

Forest 'cup final' approach gave them that extra bit in the engine. But we should have been able to put 11 fresh enough players on that pitch to at least up the anti in the last 20 minutes.

One thing we've all noticed in the last month is our ability to move through the gears. Wed didn't see that last night!

There's no big concern though, 1 loss in the last 11 games, that's great form and the next thing now is to put another string together. More than capable!

15 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

14 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Understandably there are a lot of, in my view, emotional over reactions on here. Forest & Dougie Freedman raised their game to a level they cannot produce every week. It was do or die for them imo. It was their cup final it wasn't ours.

The reason we lost was, as PC said, too many players were over complicating things. Russell & Christie were running too much with the ball and losing possession. Hendrick was not showing enough in midfield. Martin on the rare occasion he received the ball was trying to be too clever, trying lay offs & flicks that were way too hopeful. Weimann was bounding about now & then but pretty ineffectual. The effect of five members of the team having stinkers was disappointing & ultimately cost us the game. PC takes some blame also as I think he should have played Butterfield from the start, but hindsight is a fine thing.

Thorne's style makes him look lazy but he isn't he was generally clever on the ball, available & neat. He's still a cut above this division. Johnson was trying. A few passes were poor a lot were good. He at least was available. Keogh & Shackell were pretty sound on the whole. Warnock was very good defensively, sometimes superb BUT we did miss Fozzy's consistent attacking threat & availability down the left.

In summary, the attacking aspect of our game (not for the first time) let us down. It's disappointing but Its not doom & gloom. We still have a very good side and I still expect very good things this season.

The stats below are interesting.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-stats/339719/nottingham-forest-v-derby-county

The photos on the link are intriguing...especially the second one "Spot the ball" or even "spot the game!"

DC-1975 RIMBAUD 11carl00 mozza JoetheRam curtains Daveo Carl Sagan r_wilcockson Rampage Mafiabob steve brummie Derbados WorksopRam AndyinLiverpool archram RicME85 Luke ariotofmyown mcsilks Lambchop CrimsonRam ashleydales Squid EastHertsRam cannable Fla Ram ketteringram deano180 jagerbob MrsRam tomsdubs DublinRam Navyram duncanjwitham bruce BondJovi Ramarena Derby blood Papahet Anon Leon the ram 2009 StockholmRam super rams WharfedaleRam Beagle Purpleram Red_Dawn reveldevil Wolfie HantsRam G STAR RAM bearam Bridgford Ram Posh Ram Lander Wolfie20 JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta davenportram Shellsterram jongrea

ayup , the lesser spotted Reddog is in the building ..:D

47 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Any team defending deep, as Forest did, naturally protects the goal and drifts quite narrow. 

You absolutely have to use width and pace. If you move the ball wide slowly then they'll get out to it. 

I don't believe they wanted to win any more than we did. I don't think it matters how much passion and effort you show if you're insisting on doing something that didn't work for 45mins, 60mins, 75min... 

You talk a lot of sense Alpha.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Someone mentioned they were in a bar Will Hughes was at and he said they needed to switch the play out wide quicker. 

That was the midfield but it seems the whole team were determined to steamroll through the middle, even Christie with his runs to nowhere. There was a moment Johnny Russell picked the ball up about level with the edge of their penalty area I think. The fullback was on the inside and he had acres of space down the channel to run into and get behind their defence. But even having broke the midfield lines and having a free run at the defence he cut inside and ran into congestion, subsequently losing the ball. That summed it up for me. They might as well have played on a 5 a side pitch.

For me i think Forest fans are left with more questions than us, i put it down to a bad night at the office, not helped by conceding so early. Forest fans have got to ask were that desire has been , and probaly will be, for the rest of the games. 

15 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I'm not disagreeing how good Martin is but the only reason everything goes through him is because of the system / style we play the type of player Martin is doesn't allow us to play any other way so when he has an off day or the opposition stop him playing the team have an off day . 

One of the problems yesterday was the lack of quick ball allowing the Forest CM to get in front of Martin and the fact that Weimann and Russell went central too often and too early, making that area too congested. 

Not too bothered, they started much better than us and looked like they wanted it more. After knocki ng us about abit we looked to stand off abit (not worth losing players through injury or cards) and they beat us to every ball, our passing was atrocious. 

Deserved to lose and will give us a kick up the arse. On to the next one.

I know a lot of people are disappointed but the over reactions are comical. This is one game where we conceded an early goal from a deflected shot that could possibly have been avoided if the defender didn't dive in the way that he did, and the home team then acted like the away team by packing the area around the goals and only managing a bit over 30% of possession in their own back yard.

It is true that with a few exceptions Derby didn't play that well, and if Christie and Russell hadn't given the ball away so many times the Forest possession would have dropped to less than 30%. I would rather Derby had moved the ball around in front of the eight Forest defenders probing for an opportunity, much in the same way that when Butterworth scored against QPR than the runs down the right and either lose possession or lump a hapless ball into the area.

All of this will I am sure be addressed before the next run of games. We didn't get three points, but there are an awful lot more to play for this season. 

A mediocre, unfocussed performance with a lack of tempo and 'bite' - we had spent ourselves in overcoming QPR and perhaps our resilience isn't yet at the levels required.

It follows that our recovery & conditioning preps from a heavy fixture schedule aren't yet at the highest level. The Trees' less-talented squad had clearly recovered better from their previous game(s). Plenty for Clement & Co to analyse.

I was far more gutted when the Trees won at the iPro late last season; we were a team falling apart and giving goals and points away, our League position and expectations laid to waste after all the good work up to February.

It would have been sweet to 'go top' at the City Ground - but the players need to get back on track right away when Cardiff visit. We will still be 5th - and possibly still only 1 or 2 points off the top of the table as well - at 5 pm today.

The short-term euphoria in Nottingham is likely to evaporate when fixtures resume. Some Trees fans might even be concerned that it actually wasn't Dougie's final shot, that the looming 'sacked in the morning' possibilities were postponed.

I don't see any Forest 'charge' for the business end of the table, nor will I alter my opinion that Dougie won't be there much longer!

I wonder if Fawaz had made any advance preps regarding the Nigel Clough rumours pending the game, and what mind-set both of those gentlemen might be in right now? Funny game, football!

C O Y R 

It was reminiscent of the middlesbro away performance last year.

we had the ball

they sat back

they hit us with a sucker punch

we had nothing to offer

Archived