Nottingham Forest v Derby County

Chris Mills

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, sage said:

Hello Old Bean, I can't help but feel you have contradicted yourself.

If we were looking for a flair victory, surely we should have played our flair players like Butterfield and Ince and not runners like Hendrick and Weimann. We pocked an ugly team who tried to play like a skilful one. 

Also the main reason Martin didn't hold onto the ball as well as normal was Russell and Weimann were making central runs too early narrowing the defence and our passing tempo was so slow that by the time the ball got to Martin the Forest CM were only a few yards in front of him.

Butterfield should certainly have started. 

Old bean is marginally better than has bean, and I am grateful for that small mercy.

Flair perhaps is the wrong word - my meaning was that PC (perhaps) wanted to force the pace by playing Jeff (he could easily have played Bryson instead - if fit) and one of Russell or Weimann instead of Ince. I guess he was hoping to ping it around with a "fizzing" three feeding off Martin. However, Martin didn't perform on the night and as a consequence the other 3 were ineffective, although to be fair to Hendrick I think he was the better of the 4. However, the ball was neither in their box enough, or even in the final third enough - we just kept giving them possession.

My position is that we should have been more conservative in this game, setting out not to lose, wearing them down with ball possession. Butterfield and Ince are technically better footballers than the other 3, they don't waste possession as much, and both of them are better at shooting from 20 yards. 

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Old bean is marginally better than has bean, and I am grateful for that small mercy.

Flair perhaps is the wrong word - my meaning was that PC (perhaps) wanted to force the pace by playing Jeff (he could easily have played Bryson instead - if fit) and one of Russell or Weimann instead of Ince. I guess he was hoping to ping it around with a "fizzing" three feeding off Martin. However, Martin didn't perform on the night and as a consequence the other 3 were ineffective, although to be fair to Hendrick I think he was the better of the 4. However, the ball was neither in their box enough, or even in the final third enough - we just kept giving them possession.

My position is that we should have been more conservative in this game, setting out not to lose, wearing them down with ball possession. Butterfield and Ince are technically better footballers than the other 3, they don't waste possession as much, and both of them are better at shooting from 20 yards. 

We had 66% possession. 

I'm not sure if Ince was fit enough to start. Butterfield as I suggested earlier certainly should have started. 

I think you may want to consider if Martin didn't perform or if was unable to perform due to the type of service he received. Or a mixture of both.  

33 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

24 hours have passed and I still see the bizarre dropping of Butterfield as the key to our defeat. He was probably our standout player in the three games prior to last night, finally settled down and began to show what he's about, and PC drops him for such a big game. As I say, bizarre, 

I have watched the game back on Sky and the commentary team said they were shocked at his exclusion from the outset and later described him, Johnson and Thorne as the best midfield trio in the division. 

I do though believe that most of our lads were off their game, and that's been rare this season. 

I expect us to right the wrongs in 2 weeks time. 

Problem is that Johnson was probably the worst player on the pitch,Thorne not far behind

and When Butterfield came on,he did nothing, and is only a 2nd string player at best. When

Hughes gets back he won't get a look-in.

2 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

Problem is that Johnson was probably the worst player on the pitch,Thorne not far behind

and When Butterfield came on,he did nothing, and is only a 2nd string player at best. When

Hughes gets back he won't get a look-in.

Not sure what you're watching.

butterfield played well when he came on.

Thorne and Johnson were woeful and don't make runs beyond Martin , neither does butterfield so surely the game and the night was made for brysons runs beyond Martin , even although he didn't  get  the ball it might have created room for Ince bent Martin and some players just have the knack of scoring against certain teams , PC team selection was wrong and his substitutions no much better but it's only one game he's new to the job and still think he will take us up but some games in this league are horses for courses and Bryson loves playing against them 

Butterfield  played great but tired against QPR and it was nly a couple of days later, hendrick prob would have stayed on if he hadnt have dissapeared for the 2nd half. nothing was coming off for johnson and its his first poorish game, but he didnt stop trying or charging about after  a very busy few weeks, thornes had a breather this week after having abit of a shitter last week, even though we won. and im bemused by his play and attitude. we needed martin not to be a mard arse anorl, but it was one of those days for him, russell looked knackered and should have come off earlier. bad time for that game i think, but i was bad timing for both teams, its just they turned up.  i really dont understand whay thorne and johnson where trying to hold keogh and shackels hand all game though, push up for crying out loud, they can pass to you 20 yards further up, they kept taking off their toe. ive more confidence that this wont be the start of a meltdown like last year though. be nice to batter cardiff after that. con lads

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

It was reminiscent of the middlesbro away performance last year.

we had the ball

they sat back

they hit us with a sucker punch

we had nothing to offer

I agree with your comments. 

RamNut, that is some dog you have in your icon. is it an Ayrdale/Ram hybrid? Or what is it?

Would have surely made sense to start Butterfield, and then bring on Hendrick against a tiring midfield.

Easy to say in hindsight, but we just played poorly and far too narrow. With Mendes especially rubbish from a defensive point of view, Christie and Russell had ample opportunity to double up on Forest's LB but didn't.

Christie held on to the ball too much, and Russell came inside tfar oo early. Moreover, he was dire in possession.

Luckily, Paul Clement appears pretty switched on and he would have seen that again and identified what went wrong.

It won't be just Forest though. We will come up against a number of opponents this season looking to hit us early and sit back, stiffle us and counter. If we can overcome these tactics, we'll push hard for a top two spot.

If not, playoffs it will be.

6 hours ago, Rampage said:

I agree with your comments. 

RamNut, that is some dog you have in your icon. is it an Ayrdale/Ram hybrid? Or what is it?

Ssshh whisper whisper.......i think its the RamDog that the forum logo is based on.

Move on. One defeat.

Boro lost

Burnley drew 

If we had drawn we would have been satisfied. 

Only team that has stolen a march on us is Hull and Brighton are bang average. A defeat is sometimes a good thing as it forces you to take stock. A lucky draw papers over the cracks. 

It was PC's first taste of big match action. I fully expect him to adapt better to Hull away.

A defeat this was to a big --big==game,we are top of the league of the league chanted at the city ground.

A Forest side low on confidence pumped up to to take on the big spenders down the road.

A draw would be good ,as any away point is always valuable.

The point for me is Derby did not turn up,it is a squad game, their were players on the bench to make a difference.

Why just give them a 15 minute cameo appearance .,Russell--Weiman--Hendrick.were off their game.

Ince--Bent==Butterfield--Bryson,All capable of changing a game. But asking a lot for them to do it in 10 --15-minutes.

in a high tempo game.,We ain t got a good squad if we do not use it properly.

A bad game to lose ,,leaves a sour taste,still cannot believe it,Hull--Brighton--Burnley,march on this league is not forgiving 

And the red dogs have -had a good laugh,Move on yes ,but feel the pain of,   A   performance that is not good enough

12 minutes ago, trevor1946 said:

A defeat this was to a big --big==game,we are top of the league of the league chanted at the city ground.

A Forest side low on confidence pumped up to to take on the big spenders down the road.

A draw would be good ,as any away point is always valuable.

The point for me is Derby did not turn up,it is a squad game, their were players on the bench to make a difference.

Why just give them a 15 minute cameo appearance .,Russell--Weiman--Hendrick.were off their game.

Ince--Bent==Butterfield--Bryson,All capable of changing a game. But asking a lot for them to do it in 10 --15-minutes.

in a high tempo game.,We ain t got a good squad if we do not use it properly.

A bad game to lose ,,leaves a sour taste,still cannot believe it,Hull--Brighton--Burnley,march on this league is not forgiving 

And the red dogs have -had a good laugh,Move on yes ,but feel the pain of,   A   performance that is not good enough

Weiman, Hendrick and Warnock all played when the weren't first choice a week ago.

Thorne returned after missing the last game. 

Butterfield and Ince both had more than 10 - 15 minutes.

How is that not using the squad properly?

At half time I wasn't worried, we'd played that pathetic previously then come out second half after the proverbial rocket up the arse and blown teams away, this didn't happen against THEM, and that is what gripes me the most, we came out and carried on as we had 1st half, no passion, no fight, no imagination.

Yesterday I had to resort to reminding my forest supporting mate, who told me on the phone he was going to have a very happy day, that he had failed his stop for October and that people he was meant to have raised money for had suffered due to his lack of determination in keeping of the ale, cruel I know but it did ruin his morning lol

Its all right loads of people gripping at over-reaction and 'its just a one-off'.

Cant speak for all the others appalled by friday night's  performance but for me the worrying thing was that, yet again, we had failed to turn up for a big game. I for one had hoped that the new regime would mean that the abject run-in last year was a thing of the past. 

But it seems not. This game seemed exactly like one of those at the end of last season. All hope and no content.

Winning at MK Dons, Preston and Huddersfield is all fine and dandy. Ten game unbeaten runs against teams who won't be challenging at the end of the season is very laudable. But they are not the real competition.

On the basis of friday it is clear that we have absolutely no chance of going up whatsoever - as ever, we cannot raise our game when it matters.

4 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

Its all right loads of people gripping at over-reaction and 'its just a one-off'.

Cant speak for all the others appalled by friday night's  performance but for me the worrying thing was that, yet again, we had failed to turn up for a big game. I for one had hoped that the new regime would mean that the abject run-in last year was a thing of the past. 

But it seems not. This game seemed exactly like one of those at the end of last season. All hope and no content.

Winning at MK Dons, Preston and Huddersfield is all fine and dandy. Ten game unbeaten runs against teams who won't be challenging at the end of the season is very laudable. But they are not the real competition.

On the basis of friday it is clear that we have absolutely no chance of going up whatsoever - as ever, we cannot raise our game when it matters.

This is the very epitome of 'over-reaction'

Archived