Nottingham Forest v Derby County

Chris Mills

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bcnram said:

I know a lot of people are disappointed but the over reactions are comical. This is one game where we conceded an early goal from a deflected shot that could possibly have been avoided if the defender didn't dive in the way that he did, and the home team then acted like the away team by packing the area around the goals and only managing a bit over 30% of possession in their own back yard.

It is true that with a few exceptions Derby didn't play that well, and if Christie and Russell hadn't given the ball away so many times the Forest possession would have dropped to less than 30%. I would rather Derby had moved the ball around in front of the eight Forest defenders probing for an opportunity, much in the same way that when Butterworth scored against QPR than the runs down the right and either lose possession or lump a hapless ball into the area.

All of this will I am sure be addressed before the next run of games. We didn't get three points, but there are an awful lot more to play for this season. 

Wow.... What do you want him to do, let him go through and have a freebie?

Why have a thinly veiled go at Keogh for trying to stop a shot on target....

30 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Wow.... What do you want him to do, let him go through and have a freebie?

Why have a thinly veiled go at Keogh for trying to stop a shot on target....

Not at all, just saying that it could have been a contributory factor to their goal, do you have a problem with that. I am a big fan of Keogh now that he Clement has got him to stay on his feet.

3 hours ago, PrivateDerby said:

Not too bothered,

I'm bothered because i thought we'd put these non-performances behind us.

we still haven't got that extra gear.

They get to keep Freedman now for another winless 7 or 8 games.  Like Pearce's win last year it is just delaying the inevitable.

Did anyone else thing that Derby were guilty of trying to overplay yesterday, especially in midfield.  To me it seemed like we knew we were far superior and wanted to play them into the ground / score the perfect goal - especially in the first half.

They sat back and we couldn't break them down.

we passed it around to no effect at times.

Hardly managed a shot.

dropping butterfield was idiotic.

Burnley v Brighton on Nov 22nd then Hull v Derby on Nov 27th

We need to get something at Hull or it could be a Humber Bridge too far.

It would be Hove Brighton to lose a game but we need a draw from that one.

The sooner Ancellotti gets a job and lends us some players, the better. Hull look very strong.

Not a criticism, I can see why he did it, but PC went for a flair victory last night, rather than grinding out a result. Few 'Derby' games are a footballing extravaganza, and most are tight, narky affairs. Hendrick is fine making surging runs but his control and distribution when moving quickly is not good, and Weimann and Russell for all their endeavour are never likely to retain the ball for too long. Martin lost his passing radar last night (and his balance far too often!) when what we needed him to do was to hold on to the bloody ball.  Take a few touches for me Chris, please.

Butterfield and Ince should have started as they retain the ball well. We needed to control the game from the outset last night, and kill the crowd and Dougie's pre-game team talk. We did the opposite. I think an ugly win was there for us last night. Disappointing, but no big deal in the scheme of things. 

18 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Not a criticism, I can see why he did it, but PC went for a flair victory last night, rather than grinding out a result. Few 'Derby' games are a footballing extravaganza, and most are tight, narky affairs. Hendrick is fine making surging runs but his control and distribution when moving quickly is not good, and Weimann and Russell for all their endeavour are never likely to retain the ball for too long. Martin lost his passing radar last night (and his balance far too often!) when what we needed him to do was to hold on to the bloody ball.  Take a few touches for me Chris, please.

Butterfield and Ince should have started as they retain the ball well. We needed to control the game from the outset last night, and kill the crowd and Dougie's pre-game team talk. We did the opposite. I think an ugly win was there for us last night. Disappointing, but no big deal in the scheme of things. 

Quality post, iRam

Some of these posts are hanging by a thread, man. hangin by a thred, init.

4 hours ago, Ovis aries said:
1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Hello Old Bean, I can't help but feel you have contradicted yourself.

If we were looking for a flair victory, surely we should have played our flair players like Butterfield and Ince and not runners like Hendrick and Weimann. We pocked an ugly team who tried to play like a skilful one. 

Also the main reason Martin didn't hold onto the ball as well as normal was Russell and Weimann were making central runs too early narrowing the defence and our passing tempo was so slow that by the time the ball got to Martin the Forest CM were only a few yards in front of him.

Butterfield should certainly have started. 

5 minutes ago, sage said:

Hello Old Bean, I can't help but feel you have contradicted yourself.

If we were looking for a flair victory, surely we should have played our flair players like Butterfield and Ince and not runners like Hendrick and Weimann. We pocked an ugly team who tried to play like a skilful one. 

Also the main reason Martin didn't hold onto the ball as well as normal was Russell and Weimann were making central runs too early narrowing the defence and our passing tempo was so slow that by the time the ball got to Martin the Forest CM were only a few yards in front of him.

Butterfield should certainly have started. 

Not me pal, get the right poster Old Bean:p

24 hours have passed and I still see the bizarre dropping of Butterfield as the key to our defeat. He was probably our standout player in the three games prior to last night, finally settled down and began to show what he's about, and PC drops him for such a big game. As I say, bizarre, 

I have watched the game back on Sky and the commentary team said they were shocked at his exclusion from the outset and later described him, Johnson and Thorne as the best midfield trio in the division. 

I do though believe that most of our lads were off their game, and that's been rare this season. 

I expect us to right the wrongs in 2 weeks time. 

Archived