Chris Martin

Idiakez

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awarding 'Legend' status is always a personal thing - there are no absolutes, and everyone is never going to agree. For my dad, it was always Leuty, Stamps and Harrison - it took him a long time to include Hector et al in their company. I never thought of Ted McMinn as a 'real' legend - but today I was chatting to a Rangers fan and his wife who are staying at the same hotel as us in Blackpool - and to him he is an absolute worship the ground he walks on legend - and I'm beginning to warm to the idea.

We may not all agree as to what constitutes a legend, but when it comes to certain players like Hector for instance and today nobody in their right mind would argue against his legendary status.  Heck, i became a Derby fan because of the guy and the style of football Derby played.  Like Mostyn i would put Saunders there too and Paulo Wanchope for his legendary stride and memorably humiliating Man U, but i guess i won't include my favorite Derby player Asanovic because of his short time here, yet i maintain that he was the most skillful player to wear a Derby shirt.

Talking value here, legend or not we surely would be asking 15 maybe 18 million for him. A striker who consistently scores goals, just coming to his peak years and contributes to virtually every attacking play. The sale of Gray in the summer surely puts CMs price up big time 

Both have four headed goals each over the last two seasons, though Fletcher has played less games and is undoubtedly against better defenders.

Moreover, Sunderland have put in 817 crosses whereas Derby have put in 1,201, giving Martin far more opportunities.

And one last one - Fletcher has won 107 and lost 135 of his aerial duels, whereas Martin has won 102 and lost 133.

I'd give it to Fletch, marginally from a statistical point of view.

Going more advanced on the crossing stats - do you know what percentage/number of those crosses were played on the floor/below waist height in comparison to those in the air/above chest height?

Martin has been the focal point of our attack for the majority of his 118 appearances for us, leading to the rest of the team knowing that his strength does not lie in balls played into the box for him to head in, rather balls to his feet.

I suspect that Sunderland don't have such a clear strategy, and that statistics for headed goals against crosses played are somewhat inconclusive.

My Prediction :-

DERBY COUNTY TO BEAT FLORIST AWAY ON TV AND TO BE TOP OF THE TABLE ON 6TH NOVEMBER 2015

Perfect time to do it as we play on friday 6th before the other teams, notwithstanding the hope that we will be top before then, which would be even better. Brighton have to drop five points to let us get past them.

My Prediction :-

DERBY COUNTY TO BEAT FLORIST AWAY ON TV AND TO BE TOP OF THE TABLE ON 6TH NOVEMBER 2015

Perfect time to do it as we play on friday 6th before the other teams, notwithstanding the hope that we will be top before then, which would be even better. Brighton have to drop five points to let us get past them.

Move over Nostradamus, Rampage is on the rampage!:ph34r:

Archived