Chris Martin

Idiakez

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/10/20/derby-forward-chris-martin-emerges-as-top-january-target-for-sun/?utm_medium=share%2Bbutton&utm_campaign=social%2Bmedia&utm_content=/en-gb/2015/10/20/derby-forward-chris-martin-emerges-as-top-january-target-for-sun/&utm_source=Twitter

HITC Sport understands Sam Allardyce is monitoring the Rams striker as Charlie Austin is unlikely to move before next summer.

Derby County striker Chris Martin has emerged as a target for Sunderland boss Sam Allardyce if, as expected, Charlie Austin rejects the chance to leave Queens Park Rangers in January, HITC Sport understands.

Austin has less than a year left on his current deal at Loftus Road and the Hoops are trying to convince him to sign fresh terms.

However, the 26-year-old – who was called into the England squad last season – looks set to keep his options open and instead move on a Bosman free transfer next summer.

Allardyce is one of a number of Premier League bosses who have highlighted Austin as their top target for January, but he is set to be left disappointed, which means other targets are now emerging.

And Allardyce is ready to head the chase for Derby front-man Martin, who has 18 months left on his current deal

HITC Sport understands that Derby are in talks over a new deal for the Scottish international – who was in superb form over the weekend for The Rams.

Martin is set to consider his options, but the former Norwich City man is keen to return to the top-flight and Derby’s resolve to hold onto him could be severely tested come January.

West Ham United, West Bromwich Albion, Swansea City, Newcastle United and Crystal Palace all checked on Martin over the summer, and a number of those sides remain interested.

Can Derby fend off interest in Chris Martin? Should he stay put?

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Martin keeps his excellent form going PL clubs will be setting their sights on him.  Of course he would much prefer to play for a team that brings out the best in him, but if we don't go up this season it might prove hard to keep him.

So this writer has #ITK info about Sunderland being in for Martin yet doesn't know what even all of us #NITK (not in the know-ers, in case you were wondering) do know, that Martin has three years left, not 18 months.

Sorry Graeme Bailey, it was a good try, but I see that you're a Boro fan, so don't try and derail our season again!

If Martin keeps his excellent form going PL clubs will be setting their sights on him.  Of course he would much prefer to play for a team that brings out the best in him, but if we don't go up this season it might prove hard to keep him.

I don't think Martin wants to become a bit part player. We have an owner that would probably shrug his shoulders and say so what to a £12m bid. A new manager has come in here and Martin is still massively in favor, to the point where he has been made captain. Derby County is home for him. He has every chance of establishing himself as a club legend. Every chance of playing established PL football with us. 

The only Prem side I'd see him joining (realistically) is Norwich, that's only because his family are that end.

The only one? I reckon Newcastle would be tempting, closer to Scotland for international duty, back working with McClaren that transformed into Superman, I bet the money would be better up there as well.

No Twitter account to take the fan abuse, get's a shot in the Premier League, really wouldn't surprise me.

Scores 20 again for the 3rd successive season without us gaining promotion no way will he want to stick around

I vouch for HITC, they are extremely reliable. 

But this is just 'interest' so there is nothing to worry about. Could be genuine interest, could be a passing interest, could just be agents strirring things up.

I'm sure Allardyce tinks Martin is a good player, but he has Fletcher there who is more his style and better in the air.

Until any enquiries or offers are made, such 'interest' really isn't worth fretting over.

Archived