Derby v Burnley

Chris Mills

Monday night, having seen the weekend results. Because we're currently playing catchup, there'll be a little more pressure as we'll have slipped down the table. But there's another couple of days that may mean Thorne is in contention (wasn't he hoping to join in with training today?).

We've obviously not gelled except for shortish patches in matches, but we're only 7 games in and we're proving hard to score against - the opposite of the end of last season. We're also rarely entertaining (except for in those short patches). It's very hard indeed to second guess Clement, but I think he'll go for:

Carson

Christie    Keogh    Shackell    Forsyth

Thorne

Butterfield    Johnson

Ince    Martin    Russell

Bench: Grant, Shotton, Warnock, Bent, Hendrick, Hanson, Weimann

I'm presuming Bryson won't be ready for the bench, and for this game Pearce and Dawkins will be the senior players to miss out.

The biggest thing for me is to up our tempo, attacking with verve (taking risks) and lots of running at the opponents or fast one-touch football. Also shooting when the chance comes. And this also means moving the ball more quickly out of defence rather than let our opponents set themselves while we pass along the back four. Keogh has much the best distribution of the defenders playing (with Bucko injured) so let's hope he drives us quickly forward, helped considerably by the return of Georgie boy. Clement was almost brutal with Thorne over preseason, making him do all the sessions to get back used to the rough and tumble, and playing when you're not 100% (as every footballer has to do). I think he will bring him straight back in if he can.

In defence we're defending the edge of the area and daring our opponents to shoot from distance, which they're doing. I'd like to see us closing down higher up the pitch, but of course that runs a risk of being opened up more than we've seen so far. And although it's inevitable we'll concede to deflected long shots given how we're defending, we do seem to have been especially unucky in the numbers.

After the slow start, it would be amazing and a massive boost if we can get the first home win (another monkey off Clement's back) and make it three wins in a row.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of late Martin hasnt been getting his usual fouls, maybe the refs have looked at his past few seasons? something for Martin himself to look at because his free kick winning is invaluable. Love the man :wub:

got his share on Tuesday against Reading. I was sitting with Reading fans who were really frustrated with him.  Brilliant! 

ClaretMatt what's your feelings towards Shackell, will you be booing everytime he touches the ball?

If I was going then yes I would have booed every touch and be hoping for a win so a fun pair of "Shackell, what's the score?" and "What a waste of money" chants could be rolled out. 

The move to Monday means I can't go. Possibly a good thing, he'll probably score, the money-grabbing b*stard. :D

If I was going then yes I would have booed every touch and be hoping for a win so a fun pair of "Shackell, what's the score?" and "What a waste of money" chants could be rolled out. 

The move to Monday means I can't go. Possibly a good thing, he'll probably score, the money-grabbing b*stard. :D

Come on man. Everyone knows we just lent him to you (for 3 years :ph34r: ) so he could develop as a top championship / lower prem defender.

let's take this example. Say you work for Lonsdale, all of a sudden Nike come in and offer you double the wage you're on now. Which job would you be doing? That's the equivalent to what has happened. 

I will be borrowing this one for Andre Gray £9m having a laugh. And I really hope Dyce gets some much deserved abuse for his joke(buying the league) comment

That'd be controversial considering you just paid £9 million for Andre Gray, who, from what I've seen is a fairly unspectacular player that you've paid a spectacular amount of money for!

Yes Derby England .. Agree .. Johnson CAN play DM but his strength seems to be better suited higher up and thorne's presence should allow him to do that. 

I missed the Leeds game cos of family Holidays so am having serious live footy withdrawal symptoms .. Can't wait for Monday 

The Burnley game 2 seasons ago when Martin got booked and subsequently sent off for diving that the referee got it wrong on 1 count for sure and possibly 2 depending on your opinion.

Was it or wasn't it a dive? I don't think it was. But there are people out there that do, so that one will always be debatable.

The thing that isn't debatable is that diving is not a foul. You cant stop the game for a dive. Simple as that.

The referee is supposed to let the game carry on and then if he wants to go back and book Martin after. The referee made a massive mistake not allowing the game to go on.

Just had a watch of Dyche's interview about the game and he spoke briefly about Shackell. He said basically just to clear things up, when he left the media (particularly the written media) tried to put some spin on it and make up some kind of story. There was nothing of the sort and the reason he left was because 'things change in football.' Says he still texts him from time to time and wishes him well other than Monday. "I don't think he missed a single minute while I've been here so that just shows what an important part I considered him to be." 

He also mentioned about there being different levels of finance in the division about 30 seconds into the interview :lol:

The Burnley game 2 seasons ago when Martin got booked and subsequently sent off for diving that the referee got it wrong on 1 count for sure and possibly 2 depending on your opinion.

Was it or wasn't it a dive? I don't think it was. But there are people out there that do, so that one will always be debatable.

The thing that isn't debatable is that diving is not a foul. You cant stop the game for a dive. Simple as that.

The referee is supposed to let the game carry on and then if he wants to go back and book Martin after. The referee made a massive mistake not allowing the game to go on.

MR is that right? Don't the rules state that "attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour which is misconduct punishable by a yellow card". Doesn't that suggest that the whistle should be blown straightaway?  

Archived