Derby v Burnley

Chris Mills

I'm not going to give my views on the football last night as they seem to contrast with most on here but I thought we played  well against a very well drilled Burnley defence. Also what a good spirit the game was played in with very little shirt-tugging, no bad tackles and no bookings. Amazing. 

What I did want to ask is whether the people saying there was no atmosphere were at the ground last night or watching on TV?  Because I thought that was the most we had got behind the team this year. Certainly felt like it to me in North Stand. Less groaning too and the slight booing at the end was aimed at the referee who spoke to their players three times about time wasting (wasting time himself) and then added zilch onto the added time for it. 

Looking forward to MK Dons after that performance - should be great! 

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought the atmosphere was pretty typical of Derby when not winning. Moments of noise but mostly quiet. Not helped when there's no away fans (don't blame them)

Thought the back 4 were mostly excellent. Carson alright too. 

Thorne was good until tired. Johnson busy and him and Thorne took the midifeld. When Johnson began to drift out the game a bit more Butterfield started to shine a bit more. Much more aggressive second half. 

Thought Russell was good but the final ball wasn't quite there. Sometimes just good defending tbf. Weimann's best work was all defensive and off the ball. On the ball he was meh. 

The midfielders didn't get close enough to Martin for a while. Sometimes choosing to admire Russell and Christie. 

The ball moves much quicker with Thorne than without him. His instinct is always to turn and face the right way. Need him to stay fit. 

Hendrick came on and picked up where Butterfield left off. Still no joy from Weimann and Russell and Christie getting same results. Martin looked better when people got closer to him. As we all know he does. Get closer! 

Carson 6, Christie 7, Keogh 8, Shackell 6, Forsyth 6, Thorne 7, Johnson 6, Butterfield 6, Russell 7, Martin 6, Weimann 6 (barely)

not sure I agree with the 'flicking' logic, but Martin doesn't seem like an obvious candidate yo me. Positionally it doesn't make much sense, as he was isolated on his own for long periods so not sure how he could organise anyone. As a 'lead by example' choice I don't think his body language is always great, he sometimes looks like he's got the hump and can cut a frustrated figure at times. Shackell or Keogh are nailed on starters with experience in the role..don't get why it's not one of them. As for last night, just needed moment of inspiration and really hoped it would come  from Weimann, but he looked very short of confidence. 

Now that the serial depressed have had their say I thought I would comment on the Burnley game. I really enjoyed it. That was a tough defence to break down made doubly tough by the way that their defence and midfield were so deep together. I liked the way that Derby tried to play through them, I think that our crossing needs to be tightened up. As a spectacle, a very intriguing game. 

First half was awful from both sides, real mid table stodge. Hoofball, no control, boring football.

Second much better from Derby as they stepped the pace up. But if you're going to play wide you simply have to get people into the box. The amount of times the full backs got into decent crossing areas to look up and see one only person in the area was frustrating. Then the crowd gets on their back if they pass backwards.

A couple of important players need to start improving, and fast, because they are not at the levels they have shown the last couple of years. And the manager needs to start being braver.

Not impressed by Burnley. I thought they'd be better.

Was watching at the pub today.

My thoughts are here:
http://viewfromtheweststand.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/derby-0-burnley-0.html

Not mentioned in the article, but I've seen a few people ask why Clement didn't bring Bent on. I don't think he felt comfortable at the idea of us going down to 2 in the centre of midfield, especially against a team like Burnley who work so hard in midfield.

He's just being a little cautious IMO. We will batter a team one of these days, doesnt matter if it's home or away. It's so much easier away from home when teams have to attack us and leave a bit of space to exploit.

Me too! Let's not turn this into a territory war though, there's room for both of us. Nice post. Admitting you missed the first 10 minutes at the bar instead of just watching it again on the full 90 is a rookie error though :lol:

Not that I've ever done that obviously :ph34r: Mine is more half time to be honest, I don't write the games I've seen on TV. Better angles I know but I'd feel like my opinions don't have a leg to stand on if I'm not there. Not knocking your system though, I did really think it was a good read and very brutally honest.

http://aramseyeview.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/derby-county-vs-burnley.html

Bit later than usual. It's been a busy week. So much easier when you can do it on a Sunday after a Saturday 3PM...

Me too! Let's not turn this into a territory war though, there's room for both of us. Nice post. Admitting you missed the first 10 minutes at the bar instead of just watching it again on the full 90 is a rookie error though :lol:

Not that I've ever done that obviously :ph34r: Mine is more half time to be honest, I don't write the games I've seen on TV. Better angles I know but I'd feel like my opinions don't have a leg to stand on if I'm not there. Not knocking your system though, I did really think it was a good read and very brutally honest.

http://aramseyeview.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/derby-county-vs-burnley.html

Bit later than usual. It's been a busy week. So much easier when you can do it on a Sunday after a Saturday 3PM...

Haha, you're right there. The more points of view the better, I say :)  It'll be better at the pub this saturday, give no one goes to the pub at half 12!!

I know what you mean, it's better when I'm there, but on the bright side, I don't have to wait as long to collect my thoughts when watching it on tele. Thanks, tbh I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to DCFC - its never perfect until we bast away every team.

I enjoyed yours. I can tell you've watched the 90 back on the Rams Player - you've picked up on some things I missed in the heat of the moment.

One thing I think we differ on is this though: created chance after chance. Have to say I don't think we ever truely threatened apart from Russell getting in behind couple of times. I wouldn't count shots from 25 yard as real chances and even Martin's last minute one was more of a half chance. :)

Carson a 2 for a clean sheet and Hanson only on for 9 minutes and gets an 8? Got to love anonymous voting, reveal yourself!

I know but they are extremes that are evened buy sensible folks. Shame we cant embed the survey into the forum so it can be seen whose voted. Survey Monkey do give out embed code when you create the survey.

How would it show who's voted tho? wouldn't you need to sign up and could use a different username?

Since dave is a mod on here he can look at the ip addresses of forumers  and compare and contrast them with the anonymous voters on survey monkey.com. I know this because at work the bosses wanted some feedback on a project so created a survey using surveymonkey and discounted any external ips that didn't belong to our organisation

Since dave is a mod on here he can look at the ip addresses of forumers  and compare and contrast them with the anonymous voters on survey monkey.com. I know this because at work the bosses wanted some feedback on a project so created a survey using surveymonkey and discounted any external ips that didn't belong to our organisation

That's how you got caught out wasn't it?

That's how you got caught out wasn't it?

As I explained before it wasn't me and I'm sure dav can back up that claim. Also if dav wanted to he would be able to see that I haven't voted on any of his polls or surveys for weeks if you are suggesting that it was me who voted on the burnley poll.

As I explained before it wasn't me and I'm sure dav can back up that claim. Also if dav wanted to he would be able to see that I haven't voted on any of his polls or surveys for weeks if you are suggesting that it was me who voted on the burnley poll.

How can Dav backup your claim you left your laptop unattended :lol: 

He could choose to believe you or not tho, I have my own thoughts on the matter.....

How can Dav backup your claim you left your laptop unattended :lol: 

He could choose to believe you or not tho, I have my own thoughts on the matter.....

Well that's your view and as I stated before you don't particularly like me as a forumer so your bias if clouding your judgement. As for dav backing up my claim, well he can't but he would be able to see that I haven't taken part in a poll or survey for weeks so what interest have I got to "hijack" a poll to put it likely when I'm not going to be a regular participant in these surveys or polls and if I was going to hijack it wouldn't I have done it again? Exactly no interest whatsoever. I have more interest debating , or arguing, with robert than hijacking a poll :lol:

Archived