Derby v Burnley

Chris Mills

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fear this could be another of those games in which we have 60% + possession but struggle to create chances. Burnley are 3rd bottom for possession and tonight they had just 39% at home to MK Dons and still won. They've scored more goals from set pieces than they have open play so Keogh and Shackell will have to be on top of their game as will Grant/Carson

Always have a good feeling about home games, I don't know why. Let's get a confident win here, I fancy us to do it.

Having said that, keep it on the down-low, but I'd take a draw. Begrudgingly though. We're a better team and I honestly believe that.

Seeing as we love a biccer with their fans on forums and twitter, I hereby christen this fixture "the Internet Derby."

Things get really spicy between us. We say Turf Moor's a dump, they say we're trying to buy the league, we call Sean Dyche a ginger *****, they say Christ Martin is a diving cheat. Real macho stuff between rival forum firms.

Hooliganism in football - it hasn't gone away you know, it's just changed its turf.

Seeing was we love a biccer with their fans on forums and twitter, I hereby christen this fixture "the Internet Derby."

Things get really spicy between us. We say Turf Moor's a dump, they say we're trying to buy the league, we call Sean Dyche a ginger *****, they say Christ Martin is a diving cheat. Real macho stuff between rival forum firms.

Hooliganism in football - it hasn't gone away you know, it's just changed its turf.

Accidentally clicked quote on your post so here you go, have my 1000th post.

Trying to buy the league Derby up against poor ickle Burnley? 

Well it would have to be all down the genius Dyche for them to win. Can our never before seen spending come out on top against his tactical framework. Or will freebie Andre Gray put in an effervescent performance full of determination, desire and hunger to fire tiny ickle Burnley on. 

We should win about 8 or 9-0. Burnley can't compete financially with FC Tamworth. They pay David Jones in pogs. George Boyd has a part time job at Farm Foods. Their summer tour was of Wigan. 

Then you look at the likes of Darren Bent who has been paid enough this month to be a James Bond villain it seems a tad unfair. Dyche actually stayed in Paul Clement's shed back in June. He'd had enough of the bedsit he shares with his wife and their 2 children, Ingsgrid and Ingsabella, and he needed the vacation. 

There will be a few collection buckets on Monday night. If you can spare anything then that would be great. 20% of what YOU give will be spent on upgrading the academy so they no longer have to play with balloons. 

I fear this could be another of those games in which we have 60% + possession but struggle to create chances. Burnley are 3rd bottom for possession and tonight they had just 39% at home to MK Dons and still won. They've scored more goals from set pieces than they have open play so Keogh and Shackell will have to be on top of their game as will Grant/Carson

The possession stats against MK Dons don't tell the story, look at the number of shots on goal and you'll see the truth of that game.  We dominated that one but Sheffield Wednesday controlled the previous game against us, but then in that one we ended up scoring more goals than they had shots on target so we're doing something right.  Also, in terms of set pieces 4 of our last 5 goals were from open play but we do look a lot more dangerous from set pieces than we have ever done previously mostly thanks to Keane and were relying on them until we signed Gray to give us another dimension in attack.

To be honest I'm a bit worried about this one because it comes a bit too early for us.  We're winning games due to having a cutting edge and a solid defence but still looking a little disjointed because we're having to play a midfield of 3 wingers and a defensive midfielder due to injuries.  Barton will probably be in the matchday squad but I can't see him being anywhere but the bench given Dyche's obsession both with players being 110% match fit before he'll start them and keeping the same XI wherever possible.  With a more balanced midfield I'd feel more confident.

In my opinion this game will hinge on whether your attack is on it's game.  You should dominate midfield without an issue, and I think we'll be happy to let you, but we'll try and prevent you from creating chances.  If our defence is on form we should be able to limit you but there'll be one or two chances that'll get through so if you finish those we'll be in trouble.  I think we'll be aiming to hit you on the counter with direct balls into Vokes or over the top to Gray as well as hoping for joy from set pieces, Jones and Taylor have been putting in some fantastic freekicks and corners and Keane is looking impressive aerially.  I hope you have Grant in nets because he always struggled with crosses and set pieces so he'd be ideal to come up against.  Your left back will have to be on form because Darikwa has been an absolute revelation for us attacking from right back.

Head says it's a Derby win, heart says Burnley.  Should be a good watch anyway!

Archived