Derby v Burnley

Chris Mills

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The possession stats against MK Dons don't tell the story, look at the number of shots on goal and you'll see the truth of that game.  We dominated that one but Sheffield Wednesday controlled the previous game against us, but then in that one we ended up scoring more goals than they had shots on target so we're doing something right.  Also, in terms of set pieces 4 of our last 5 goals were from open play but we do look a lot more dangerous from set pieces than we have ever done previously mostly thanks to Keane and were relying on them until we signed Gray to give us another dimension in attack.

To be honest I'm a bit worried about this one because it comes a bit too early for us.  We're winning games due to having a cutting edge and a solid defence but still looking a little disjointed because we're having to play a midfield of 3 wingers and a defensive midfielder due to injuries.  Barton will probably be in the matchday squad but I can't see him being anywhere but the bench given Dyche's obsession both with players being 110% match fit before he'll start them and keeping the same XI wherever possible.  With a more balanced midfield I'd feel more confident.

In my opinion this game will hinge on whether your attack is on it's game.  You should dominate midfield without an issue, and I think we'll be happy to let you, but we'll try and prevent you from creating chances.  If our defence is on form we should be able to limit you but there'll be one or two chances that'll get through so if you finish those we'll be in trouble.  I think we'll be aiming to hit you on the counter with direct balls into Vokes or over the top to Gray as well as hoping for joy from set pieces, Jones and Taylor have been putting in some fantastic freekicks and corners and Keane is looking impressive aerially.  I hope you have Grant in nets because he always struggled with crosses and set pieces so he'd be ideal to come up against.  Your left back will have to be on form because Darikwa has been an absolute revelation for us attacking from right back.

Head says it's a Derby win, heart says Burnley.  Should be a good watch anyway!

Keane impressed me from an attacking point of view when he was at Derby, but his defending at times was alarming.

No... because for neutrals. Can't ever remember and exciting, free flowing game.

10 goals in the last 4 meetings suggests it's not a dull fixture.  The last meeting saw a 20 yard dipping volley go in off the bar and a controversial sending off/penalty/disallowed goal decision in a promotion chasing clash.  Don't know about most neutrals but if I didn't have a vested interest in either team I think I'd have found that a good game to watch.  

Or the game before, a bad penalty decision, a penalty saved, 3 goals, 1 where the scorer ran with the ball from inside his own half to finish?  Yeah that'd be a really dull game to watch as a neutral...

Keane impressed me from an attacking point of view when he was at Derby, but his defending at times was alarming.

Defensively he's been really impressive, he had one moment of madness against Wednesday (where he tried to Cruyff turn an attacker on the edge of the penalty area) but recovered it himself so all was forgiven.  The best compliment I can pay him is that I've not seen anyone say "we wouldn't have conceded that goal if Shackell was still here".

10 goals in the last 4 meetings suggests it's not a dull fixture.  The last meeting saw a 20 yard dipping volley go in off the bar and a controversial sending off/penalty/disallowed goal decision in a promotion chasing clash.  Don't know about most neutrals but if I didn't have a vested interest in either team I think I'd have found that a good game to watch.  

Or the game before, a bad penalty decision, a penalty saved, 3 goals, 1 where the scorer ran with the ball from inside his own half to finish?  Yeah that'd be a really dull game to watch as a neutral...

Defensively he's been really impressive, he had one moment of madness against Wednesday (where he tried to Cruyff turn an attacker on the edge of the penalty area) but recovered it himself so all was forgiven.  The best compliment I can pay him is that I've not seen anyone say "we wouldn't have conceded that goal if Shackell was still here".

I agree to be fair, the first half especially of that game was a riveting watch. Once Martin had been ludicrously sent off though, it killed the energy of the game as it seemed to take the wind out of our sails. Had that goal/penalty been allowed though, the 2nd half could have been a very interesting game!

I agree to be fair, the first half especially of that game was a riveting watch. Once Martin had been ludicrously sent off though, it killed the energy of the game as it seemed to take the wind out of our sails. Had that goal/penalty been allowed though, the 2nd half could have been a very interesting game!

Don't want to open the debate again but IMO that should have been a goal, it wasn't a penalty and it wasn't a dive but once Martin threw his arms out and appealed he gave the ref a decision to make (and he made the wrong one, the right one would have been to ignore it and award the goal).  That said Martin was lucky to still be on the pitch at that point.  Glad it went the way it did, however.

Although we lost I thought it was a great game at Turf Moor. Have spoken to anyone that will listen how great a stadium it is to visit, purely for the old school feel and a decent atmosphere to boot. The only issue being with how long it takes to get served a pint at half time.

Even at 10 men, we still got at Burnley, away from home, and still feel we were unlucky to come home losers. But then again, especially under Steve Mac, we always look to be on top of teams such as Burnley and more often than not we lose.

So with that in mind, we've got a tough game coming up where I have no doubt we'll have most of the possession but it's wether Martin, Russell and Ince can break through the defence. If we can and win, this game will kick start our season big time and that's where the excitement begins for me.

Don't want to open the debate again but IMO that should have been a goal, it wasn't a penalty and it wasn't a dive but once Martin threw his arms out and appealed he gave the ref a decision to make (and he made the wrong one, the right one would have been to ignore it and award the goal).  That said Martin was lucky to still be on the pitch at that point.  Glad it went the way it did, however.

I fully agree with you on the decision, Martin's theatrics killed any chance he had of winning the appeal. 

Looking forward to Monday's game though, one of our first real tests this season. We've looked a lot more solid at the back this season, as have you, so could well be a cagey affair separated by one goal. We haven't quite clicked as a team yet and Monday would certainly be a good time for this to happen as I can only see this being a close game.

The ref blew his whistle before Martin appealed, it's pretty clear on the highlights. I do agree that Martin was pushing his luck though, and at the time from the Derby end, I thought he probably had dived. Wasn't a good game for the neutral, the first half until the goal was really one-sided, and although we played well second half, was always unlikely to be enough.

Eight teams from above us in the league are playing one of the other top eight teams this weekend. Some nice little draws in those fixtures and a win against Burnley and we will have second place in our sights. Pigs also fly at supersonic speeds, especially with a following wind.

Carson, Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Forsyth, Thorne, Butterfield, Johnson, Ince, Martin(C), Russell - AGREED

Only Ince out of those eleven has to do a great deal more. A couple more goals and he will be flying. The ability to speed up play in seconds is still lacking for me.

1-1 at half time burnley take the lead Derby draw level before half time with Russell scoring.

85th minute we get a corner ince takes it towards the back post, but it only reaches the near post 2nd bounce where shackell knees rises highest to head home the winner :)  I can dream.

Judging by what i saw t'other night this is more likely :)

Eight teams from above us in the league are playing one of the other top eight teams this weekend. Some nice little draws in those fixtures and a win against Burnley and we will have second place in our sights. Pigs also fly at supersonic speeds, especially with a following wind.

Carson, Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Forsyth, Thorne, Butterfield, Johnson, Ince, Martin(C), Russell - AGREED

Only Ince out of those eleven has to do a great deal more. A couple more goals and he will be flying. The ability to speed up play in seconds is still lacking for me.

This is Ince's time to shine now, if he can breakdown arguably the most resiliant team in the league that 4.5mil will start looking like a good deal

The ref blew his whistle before Martin appealed, it's pretty clear on the highlights. I do agree that Martin was pushing his luck though, and at the time from the Derby end, I thought he probably had dived. Wasn't a good game for the neutral, the first half until the goal was really one-sided, and although we played well second half, was always unlikely to be enough.

As of late Martin hasnt been getting his usual fouls, maybe the refs have looked at his past few seasons? something for Martin himself to look at because his free kick winning is invaluable. Love the man :wub:

Archived