Car you currently drive?

AmericanRam

2 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Yeah, walked /limped away with a couple of breaks in my leg and collorbone. Could have been a lot worse. Modern cars are 100% worth the ridiculous cost! 

That looks quite lucky, although you probably don't feel that way. Another foot or two back might have been more sore!

Edited by Rev

1 hour ago, swansea ram said:

Got myself a 1992 Vauxhall Senator, 3.0 litre,  24v redtop.  The one with the LCD dashboard.  The real dogs baalocks.  150mph+.  Great fun driving that home from Christchurch nr Bournemouth.

I never understood the kudos of having a car that can do over double the motorway speed limit unless you're living in Germany. 

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I never understood the kudos of having a car that can do over double the motorway speed limit unless you're living in Germany. 

For me it’s about the noise. The speed it does is a bonus. My SS runs a 6 litre V8 producing 270 kw ( around 360 hp I believe ) and rumbles through a quad 2.5 inch exhaust system.

4 hours ago, Stagtime said:

For me it’s about the noise. The speed it does is a bonus. My SS runs a 6 litre V8 producing 270 kw ( around 360 hp I believe ) and rumbles through a quad 2.5 inch exhaust system.

It's the same with me,  the noise.  This Senator has had the 2 middle boxes taken off, and goes through the cats, and straight through to the tail box (which is a genuine senator box, not aftermarket)  

3 hours ago, bimmerman said:

So, the pleasures of company cars, wrote my last one off and have had this delivered now, 2020 mini 5 door. 

Very bmw inside, quite nice actually. Never would have considered one but quite like it. Goes well with the history I have of hairdressers cars?

IMG-20210120-WA0003.jpg

Nice car ignore the hairdressers car jokes have the car that gives you the most pleasure. 

Edited by cstand

4 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Cars are appliances to me, it's my work car as do 25k miles a year+the cheapest thing on the list I could have had! 

A PHEV with a CO2 rating of 50g/km or less is the best bet for a company car ATM.

You get a 10% BIK and the company gets a 100% first year allowance on the cost of the car.

Only better (and cheaper BIK) bet is a pure electric, but a decent one is £60K+

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

A PHEV with a CO2 rating of 50g/km or less is the best bet for a company car ATM.

You get a 10% BIK and the company gets a 100% first year allowance on the cost of the car.

Only better (and cheaper BIK) bet is a pure electric, but a decent one is £60K+

We only get a choice of 4 from the list as we 'incentive users', 2 are minis, 2 are bmw's 

Bik is extortionate on them but saves a lot of hassle paying for and running your own car 

This talk of benefit in kind and company cars reminds me that the last time I was offered a company car (probably 2014) I asked the fleet manager if I could have a Tesla and he'd never heard of them!

Nowadays when we've been allowed to drive I hire a Model 3 and let it drive me instead. Amazing technology and so much more relaxing than if you're doing it all yourself. For instance, when you hit a bank of fog it's so reassuring to know the forward-facing radar and ultrasound don't have their vision affected at all. Or if you're inching along in a traffic jam it's great to simply let the car handle all that stop-start stuff. If you're in the mood you can even talk to the car and ask it to play Radio Derby!

VW Polo 1.2 in Grey, 60 plate but on a 59 plate at the mo. 

Had it from just over 2 years old, it's a shed now. 

Just reluctant to change as it's served me well, and I know how it's been treated, that it's not a lemon etc. 

Plus had a new timing belt last year and that wasn't cheap! 

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread.

Currently have a 69 plate (hehe) VW Polo GTI, which is coming to the end of it's PCP. Only got 14,000 miles on the clock thanks to WFH and lockdown.

Been an enjoyable car to own, putting shame on better badged boxes off the mark on many occasions. More practical and less boy racer looking than the RS Fiesta. The DSG is flawless but I've missed not having a manual a bit. Hoping to have a dealer buy me out of the PCP plus cash, given current used car prices but may have to buy myself out and sell privately if they're bring stingy.

Given the waiting lists for many new motors and my need for a bit more space to transport various animals I'm now on the hunt for a decent estate that drives nicely. 

Late period Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon is what the heart and eyes want, but a good one is hard to find (currently only 4 for sale on autotrader), head says pay more upfront and get a newer 3 Series Touring. Anyone have any experience with either of those or better suggestions?

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Thought I'd resurrect this thread.

Currently have a 69 plate (hehe) VW Polo GTI, which is coming to the end of it's PCP. Only got 14,000 miles on the clock thanks to WFH and lockdown.

Been an enjoyable car to own, putting shame on better badged boxes off the mark on many occasions. More practical and less boy racer looking than the RS Fiesta. The DSG is flawless but I've missed not having a manual a bit. Hoping to have a dealer buy me out of the PCP plus cash, given current used car prices but may have to buy myself out and sell privately if they're bring stingy.

Given the waiting lists for many new motors and my need for a bit more space to transport various animals I'm now on the hunt for a decent estate that drives nicely. 

Late period Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon is what the heart and eyes want, but a good one is hard to find (currently only 4 for sale on autotrader), head says pay more upfront and get a newer 3 Series Touring. Anyone have any experience with either of those or better suggestions?

Second hand Alfa's will always be risky for reliability. I also loved the looks of the 159, though.

My favourite car I've ever owned was my black 3 Series Touring (320D MSport). Great to drive - unless icy, when it became a bit too "entertaining" - though mine wasn't an X-Drive model.  Plenty of boot space for camping trips. It used to get through tyres fairly quickly but I was sorry to see it go, when I had to swap it for an X1 due to Mrs Wolfie starting with mobility issues and the beemer being quite low down.

Always quite liked the Volvo V60 Estate. In sporty trim, it looks lovely. Never driven one though.