Newcastle United 2015-16 season

i-Ram

Sunderland seemed in a worse plight than Newcastle. Toon got Schteeve but no obvious progress has been made. Sunderland got Big Sam, progress is being made. Sunderland will escape somehow and people will probably complain about Sam's style of football. That's life.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/11/2015 at 19:23, Mags11 said:

Ashley is to blame for employing an absolute incompetent as a chairman but overall he isnt as bad as many make out.

He has us at a place where we pay outright cash for players, no installments or anything.  He refuses to hock the club up to the eyeballs using bank loans to buy players at inflated rates.

Any idiot could come into Newcastle and make money.  All they have to do is like what the Americans do.  Use a bank loan to buy the club, use the club to pay it back and pay yourself huge dividends for doing that.  Then take out further bank loans to buy players.

Technical point but that model only works if the club is making profits, which I believe very few clubs do.

• 1 month later...

Hear a lot of things from a Newcastle point of view with one of my closest mates being a Newcastle fan.

They're certainly looking to spend again to get out of the mess they're in. Certainly a squad with players much more capable than a relegation scrap but seemingly no effort.

They're looking at Loic Remy, apparently turned down by Lacazette, linked to Berahino and now looking as if they'll sign Jonjo Shelvey. And going back to the point of seemingly no effort...

12 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Hear a lot of things from a Newcastle point of view with one of my closest mates being a Newcastle fan.

They're certainly looking to spend again to get out of the mess they're in. Certainly a squad with players much more capable than a relegation scrap but seemingly no effort.

They're looking at Loic Remy, apparently turned down by Lacazette, linked to Berahino and now looking as if they'll sign Jonjo Shelvey. And going back to the point of seemingly no effort...

Just made me look online and found this saying he offered to take one or more Swans fans round the back after the game http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jonjo-shelvey-furious-row-swansea-7151976  

Certainly needs to move now, maybe a bad attitude that one.

On 11/29/2015 at 20:27, CornwallRam said:

I've just checked back and, as I suspected, Nigel Clough had us playing mostly 433 at the start of the season in which he was sacked. I can remember a lot of people being surprised that Chris Martin was used as the 'target man' instead of Conor Sammon. So it looks like McClaren's strategy is to run with what he already has and just try to tweak it, rather than completely alter things around. It worked well for us because he had a good squad which had been used too cautiously. He took the brakes off and the momentum carried us to the play-offs.

It seems he is completely the wrong man to turn around a problem club e.g. Newcastle and Forest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_Derby_County_F.C._season

Clough used a diamond so that he could shoehorn Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick into the side, Ward was the tip of the diamond. He didn't think Russell could play out wide so 4-3-3 wouldn't work.

I

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Clough used a diamond so that he could shoehorn Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick into the side, Ward was the tip of the diamond. He didn't think Russell could play out wide so 4-3-3 wouldn't work.

I seemed to remember this is how we started the season.

Ward didnt look much cop centrally.

The diamond system seemed to turn into a 4-5-1 in those early games were Ward was having no Joy centrally, or in pretty much all those early away fixtures. I also remember just 2 or 3 games before Clough left he brought Eustace in, which resulted in our first home victory. The moment Eustace was next dropped (as soon as clough was sacked) we started with a 4-4-2 with i think hughes and bryson in midfield and we let in 4 goals in the firt half against ipswich.

Eustace came on at halftime in  a 4-3-3 and we managed the 4-4 draw. I remember Eustace being a collosus in that second half, probably my favourite performance by him, he was tackling everything in site and running through walls for us :)

2 hours ago, jagerbob said:

I

I seemed to remember this is how we started the season.

Ward didnt look much cop centrally.

The diamond system seemed to turn into a 4-5-1 in those early games were Ward was having no Joy centrally, or in pretty much all those early away fixtures. I also remember just 2 or 3 games before Clough left he brought Eustace in, which resulted in our first home victory. The moment Eustace was next dropped (as soon as clough was sacked) we started with a 4-4-2 with i think hughes and bryson in midfield and we let in 4 goals in the firt half against ipswich.

Eustace came on at halftime in  a 4-3-3 and we managed the 4-4 draw. I remember Eustace being a collosus in that second half, probably my favourite performance by him, he was tackling everything in site and running through walls for us :)

Yeah, Ward tended to drift wide left a lot leaving us lopsided. 

Eustace was only really given a chance when Coutts and Hendrick where injured, sadly. I thought at the time that had Eustace played against Burnley we might even have won and even said to the guy next to me at half time during THAT Ipswich game that they were just countering us and that we needed Eustace. Ridiculous that Clough never spotted this.

£12m for Shelvey. Jesus. I wonder what we could sell some of our lads for in this market. Shelvey's a good player on his day and if he's on his day a lot maybe £12m is debatable but I'd be shocked if it was difficult to get better for less.

13 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

£12m for Shelvey. Jesus. I wonder what we could sell some of our lads for in this market. Shelvey's a good player on his day and if he's on his day a lot maybe £12m is debatable but I'd be shocked if it was difficult to get better for less.

Its not that bad if you consider we paid £6m for Bradley Johnson and that Shelvey is a young English experienced Premier League player that Swansea are selling to a relegation rival.

1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Its not that bad if you consider we paid £6m for Bradley Johnson and that Shelvey is a young English experienced Premier League player that Swansea are selling to a relegation rival.

I considered BJ somewhat overpriced as well, though.

Archived